Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

So you should be man. That's a great family member to have! I have a distant cousin, (although we are in contact, so family is as strong as you make it, I believe) who was in the Fire Department as well, and I think he told me that his station was one of the only ones where no one died in 9/11.

His wife wouldn.t let him go out that day as he had a young family than.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Who's to know what would've happened if he did. He did the right thing, following his gut.

Who's to know what would've happened if he did. He did the right thing, following his gut.

That is very true. I got to get in his fire truck the last time we where over two years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ah now i wanna go back to New York :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Just got back to China after spending the best part of a week in Taiwan and yay so much new TV to watch!

Yesterday was: Boardwalk Empire, Red Dwarf S10, The Simpsons (I know new episodes normally suck but I still watch), Bob's Burgers (best animated show atm), Dexter & Jersey Shore (dont know why I do it to myself these days, I just feel less intelligent after watching it and even the vicarious cheap thrill is mostly gone as they are all getting married, knocked up, into rehab or relationships etc now)

Today: Another Dexter, Bob's Burgers & Broadwalk Empire, American Dad x2

Tomorrow & on: First 3 eps of the office from this season, Raw to skip through, few eps of new HIMYM/The Big Bang Theory (to watch with the missus), 2 new eps of South Park, 30 Rock, and whatever amount of new Treme episodes there have been and maybe a Family guy ep here or there

Edit: Always Sunny isn't back till next Thursday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

messi does it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Tinie wrote: »
    messi does it again

An unhappy GTR is watching the Milan derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Booked my theory test for next weekend. 45 poxy Euro!!!! Hopefully its a one and done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New trailer for Skyfall with Adele theme tune playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

cena wrote: »
    That is very true. I got to get in his fire truck the last time we where over two years ago.
    Were you out on the fire truck while your cousin was on duty or just hangin out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

GTR63 wrote: »
    An apology for Jingle All the Way and for rte constantly repeating Junior and Twins. Or is that too much to ask?

Jingle All the Way is a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

An apology for Jingle All the Way

That's one of my favourite christmas films! (Only behind the Grinch and his slowburing face turn of a film)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pfft... best Christmas film is Die Hard. It has everything; Christmas songs, man trying to get home to his family for Christmas, a Christmas party, explosions, guns, Alan Rickman, fat black policeman... It's basically the full essence of Christmas in one film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Bad Santa FTW!!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

You're all wrong - It is the Muppets Christmas Carol!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Penn wrote: »
    Pfft... best Christmas film is Die Hard. It has everything; Christmas songs, man trying to get home to his family for Christmas, a Christmas party, explosions, guns, Alan Rickman, fat black policeman... It's basically the full essence of Christmas in one film.

+1 to that.

How chrismassy is that part where McClane dresses the dead terrorist in the santa hat and ties him to a seat in the elevator

Than Gruber reads out the message attached:
    Now i have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You're all wrong - It is the Muppets Christmas Carol!!

I do love Muppets Christmas Carol alright, though every time I watch Scrooged it rivals it for second place.

After Die Hard, which is of course, first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Penn wrote: »
    I do love Muppets Christmas Carol alright, though every time I watch Scrooged it rivals it for second place.

After Die Hard, which is of course, first.

Of course!!

Love Scrooged and the Muppets Christmas Carol. I watched it last year but National Lampoon's christmas vacation has aged badly. Always consider Back to the Future and the D'unbelievables as Christmas stuff too due to always watching them as a kid.
    Could someone post the Den specials around X-mas?
    Strictly for nostalgic reasons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Don't forget Santa's Slay!

• Advertisement

Ye are all wrong. Home alone it is

My favourite christmas film (its technically not a christmas one but its always on during that time of year)

My favourite christmas film (its technically not a christmas one but its always on during that time of year)

Cool Runnings is deadly :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Dear god this topic has taken an unexpected face Christmas turn!

lockie1983 wrote: »

New Christmas Thread? :D

lockie1983 wrote: »

Sorry one shot at the horrid Jingle all the way and people got festive who knew that relic starring Arnie, Sinbad and Paul Wight was remembered fondly by anyone.

Sorry one shot at the horrid Jingle all the way and people got festive who knew that relic starring Arnie, Sinbad and Paul Wight was remembered fondly by anyone.

I forgot Paul Wight was in that! His cameo is up there with Hogan in Gremlins 2!

Christmas time is Turbo Time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ok, quick question.

Say you've got a paperback book, and you've decided to get rid of it. Say there's a shop which is buying books.

What would you consider a fair price for that book? Would you sell it for €2? Would it annoy you if you sold it for €2 and then saw it on sale in the shop for €5 or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ok, quick question.

Say you've got a paperback book, and you've decided to get rid of it. Say there's a shop which is buying books.

What would you consider a fair price for that book? Would you sell it for €2? Would it annoy you if you sold it for €2 and then saw it on sale in the shop for €5 or more?

Depends on the book in question and its condition I presume. As far as being annoyed at seeing it for sale at a marked up price, the shop are entitled to make a profit on sale of secondhand books right.

• Advertisement

See, I think so too.

Long story short, it's looking like I could be getting a small bit of money soon. I'm thinking of using it to set up a second hand book (and game/DVD) store. I'm trying to work out prices I'd buy and sell for, but I know how frustrated I get when I go into a game store and see a game I traded in for one price going for three times more than I got :P

Has anyone seen the new "header" image selection on twitter? It's pretty damn cool!

ERMAHGAWD!

Walking Dead Episode 4 is out on Tuesday :D Can't wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

ERMAHGAWD!

Show or game?

Game.

Show starts back next Friday for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Good God that's awesome. Ep 3 (the game) was so massive, so many big things went down, can't wait to play the follow up. I do love the TV show but I've been enjoying the game even more, made my family members play it :)

ERMAHGAWD!

Waiting for the disc release of that, still haven't finished the Back to the Future game yet. Barely touched FIFA the last fortnite, just don't like it that much. Playing Binary Domain which i'm enjoying despite its faults.

Game.

Show starts back next Friday for me.

Awright! :D I havent even started ep 3 yet. Such a massive wait between that and two i was expecting the same amount of time. Better get cracking on the train one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

See, I think so too.

Long story short, it's looking like I could be getting a small bit of money soon. I'm thinking of using it to set up a second hand book (and game/DVD) store. I'm trying to work out prices I'd buy and sell for, but I know how frustrated I get when I go into a game store and see a game I traded in for one price going for three times more than I got :P

Wow good luck if you go with it. I imagine you would need a big stock turnover to make money if dealing in second hand items only.

I don't know much about that area but new releases, around times like Xmas, mothers day, fathers day etc will be in demand must provide a big chunk of money. Not forgetting school books, college books etc.

• Advertisement

I'd be bringing new new stock as well, but part of my desire is to be evil and cash in on people's money woes, both in wanting to sell stuff off and buy stuff cheap :P
    I wouldn't touch school books though; as a teacher, I know how often they bring in new editions of books, and it must be very easy to get caught with out of date books.
    But things like Fifty Shades and the likes would sell as well, so I'd make sure to stock some new stuff as well....

(EDIT: From what I'm reading, PS3 users get it tomorrow. Xbox and PC is Tuesday).

I adore the Walking Dead games, though I am starting to feel as if my choices aren't actually influencing the story. I'll avoid spoilers for Punked, but there was one part in 3 that REALLY annoyed me (though as much because of emotional investment than anger) :P
    I think the fifth and final is out pretty soon as well, since the disc release is only about a month or two away....

TSC i'm being completely serious when i say this, but if you want or need anyone to assist you if you go through with your 'forgotten media exchange' shop, i'd be more than willing to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Do u know anyone else who owns a 2nd hand store/something like what you want to do? I imagine it's not a cheap venture.

Random question , anyone live around Swords?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Do u know anyone else who owns a 2nd hand store/something like what you want to do? I imagine it's not a cheap venture.

Its still something I'm researching, and I'm not going to even think of actually going through with anything until I do all the proper market research needed. But something that was drawing me to the second hand nature of the store is that it seems to be a lot cheaper than opening a shop with brand new stock. A quick flick over to Adverts.ie, for example, shows people trying to offload boxes of good quality books for a euro per book. Books which would cost me a tenner each if I stocked them new.

Originally I was thinking of opening a plain old book store, but turns out Easons have a crazy domination over things in Ireland; you pretty much have to stock from them, which allows them to control market prices, forcing indy stores to charge prices higher than their own. There was a story in the papers a few days ago that they were trying to pretty much have a monopoly on the industry, only a judge blocked them from buying the only real competition they have.

Still, it strikes me that rents in certain places are quite good, given the lack of new start-up enterprises. Doing some research into the place I'd like to start up, I think I could negotiate something very favorable in terms of rent. I'd imagine it's the rates for insurance and the basic bills that will crease me. But if I'm right, I'll have enough to do it right.

As for the original question....honestly, no, but it strikes me there's not many such shops around. There's one place in Drogheda which buys clothes en bulk and pays per kilo, but they don't sell stuff (imagine they transfer it off somewhere to sell it at a huge mark up). There's charity stores. But there's no proper, "high end" second hand store.

As I said, not something I'll do if my research shows no market or a high probability of losses. But it's getting to the stage I'm sick and tired of being unemployed and this country doesn't seem to be doing much to help rectify that situation (they continue to screw new teachers like myself every day). So it's getting time I just take matters into my own hands and try and improve my situation myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Would you be open to franchising. CeX are a store that do similar to what you are talking about - the books but I'm sure you could incorporate books as well. There's currently only 1 CeX store in the republic and it seems to me from deasling with their stores in the north that they have a good set up and good standards. they have a irish site about a franchising option http://ie.webuy.com/franchising/

• Advertisement

As for the original question....honestly, no, but it strikes me there's not many such shops around. There's one place in Drogheda which buys clothes en bulk and pays per kilo, but they don't sell stuff (imagine they transfer it off somewhere to sell it at a huge mark up). There's charity stores. But there's no proper, "high end" second hand store.

There was a second hand book place in the town centre for a while but not sure if its term was up or it wasnt making any money.
    How would a high end book shop be different in that sense?

With Teamshadowclan on about opening a book store it reminds me of Black Books. Can I be the Manny to your Bernard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

TSC I think Charlie Byrnes book shop in Galway do that just for books, it might be worth your while gettin in touch with them,

On another note I played my first competitive half of rugby yesterday, jaysus it was tough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Second hand is something a lot of people have come around to but many more don't like. That is pretty much why you don't see a huge amount of for profit second hand shops around.

Chapters on Parnell St is a good example of how you can get a shop selling new and old to work tough. Two separate floors so it caters for people with an open mind or a closed one.

The other thing to consider is location, its important if you are dealing in second hand, that a large number of people are living or passing near by for work, college etc. Otherwise you are not going to get enough people bringing in good material for you to deal with. I would guess a relatively low percentage of people are looking to buy/sell pre owned books so you need a big catchment area to get the turnover of stock required.

On another note I played my first competitive half of rugby yesterday, jaysus it was tough

In what way conn_man, I remember my first game yonks ago I got kicked in the head on the ground.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement