Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone experience of changing babys milk

Options
  • 22-08-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, i changed my sons formula from sma to cow and gate 8 days ago. He is alot happier with new food but my concern is about his bowel movements.. He has a bowel movement every day, before they were a dark greenish colour but they have changed to a light browm colour and are very soft, almost watery but not quite. Im sure a change in this department is normal with changing food but how long should it go on for? Anyone else who changed their babies food, what ws your experience of this? Im just wondering is there a need to contact my phn or doctor if it doesnt go back to what it was before?thanks. P.s sorry about the descriptive nature of this post!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to your public health nurse , they will ha e a lot of experience .
    qwertytlk wrote: »
    Hi, i changed my sons formula from sma to cow and gate 8 days ago. He is alot happier with new food but my concern is about his bowel movements.. He has a bowel movement every day, before they were a dark greenish colour but they have changed to a light browm colour and are very soft, almost watery but not quite. Im sure a change in this department is normal with changing food but how long should it go on for? Anyone else who changed their babies food, what ws your experience of this? Im just wondering is there a need to contact my phn or doctor if it doesnt go back to what it was before?thanks. P.s sorry about the descriptive nature of this post!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

With our first we changed from SMA to C&G as well, as he was getting too much wind with SMA. I don't remember there being any problems; he was more settled at night and still satisfied from the feed. As for the bowel movements I honestly can't remember (it was 4 years ago) but if something had been weird I'm sure I'd remember. I'd give it a little longer to settle, and his toilet might go back to "normal" - or, it might be changing anyway? How old is the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

He is 9weeks now. I just asked the nurse and she wasnt overly concerned, said as long as baby is happy there isnt really a problem but said if i still had concerns in a weeks time to call the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Captain morgan; my son was a bit collicky also an very bad wind. Every day he was screaming with wind pain. Every time he would let a big scream out, he would fart. At two week check i asked doc about it and asked should i change food, she said same as your phn-as a last resort. But she did advise me to change to the number two bottle teats as at the time i was using number ones and he waqs gulping the bottle down sucking very hard, which i thought could be the cause of some of the wind. She also advised infacol. I started using the infacol drops, giving him two before every bottle and i changed the teats. Bothg these things helped somewhat but he was still suffering with bad wind pains and was breaking aot of wind. So 4 weeks after that talk with doc i decided to change food myself as i felt it was a last resort as i hac tried everything else, and i can tell you now i have not looked back. He is like a different baby. So much more content and barely ever cries now! Only when hungry or if he looses his soother! Its amazing how much happier he is. Also am getting his wind up after a bottle within minutes, rather than up to an hour, as it was taking that long most times before i changed food. Was talking to phn yesterday and mentioned my concern about his poo, as explained in op and she saod it was nothing to worry about. So if nothing else has worked for u, i would change ur little ones food. Is your baby on sma? Iv heard a few people say their baby had very bad wind on sma, although this could be coincidence. Oh btw, i also changed the bottles from avent to dr.brown. This has definatley helped too. Best of luck with whatever you decide. P.s just thought of this, cow and gate do a formula for babies with collic, its called omni comfort. So if you are already using cow and gate, you could try this as it woulnt actually be changing his food. I dont know anyone who has used it but the midwife in the hospital mentioned it to the ladies on my ward and said it was proven to help babies with collic. I think they sell it in boots.

• Advertisement

Colief drops are suppossd to be good too. My sons wind was all in his bottom, but since chamgng food he isnt crying in pain trying to break wind., good luck

No i just decided to try cow and gate as in my mind it was the next best known formula to sma. And luckily it was/is thr right one for him! Hmmm... If i was you i would probably try the cow and gate omni comfort first and see if it helps because that was your not really chamging the food, then if it doesnt work try sma or aptamil. As for the way you change it, i just did a straight swap from sma to cow and gate. I would absloutly not mix two formulas together... Sounds like it would not be good for baby at all. And could potentially make them sick! I know what you mean, it used to break my heart seeing my little boy crying in pain. As i saod before i tried everything before chamging food and some things did help a little but at the end of the day nothing helped like changing the food! He is literally like a different baby. Barely ever cries now. Only when hungry. And when he does cry, its not the same as before where you could see it on his face he was in pain. Now its like he is just cryin to hear his own voice lol. Im not complaining though cos he is so content now. What are u going to do, are u thinking of changing food?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

My little one was extremely windy when I started bottle feeding -3 weeks- we had her on Aptimil and soon moved to Aptimil comfort and hasn't had a problem since, she's sleeping through the night and loves her bottle. Comfort milk tends to be thicker so you'll probably need a bigger teet. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

yeah,we use size 2 teets,i did try to make the hole in the size 1 a little bigger but that made it worse,baby was eating to fast,so we changed to size 2,no problems so far,baby is 1 month old:)

Advertisement