Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Yip, I'm using it just installed it, seem to be working fine, doubt i'll every boot into web OS again, WIFI, SOUND, Charging, Android Market, all working and the touch screen is way more responsive no more cursing and prodding the screen. I installed Alpha Build 2, can't seem to fault it yet.

I just followed these instructions, http://liliputing.com/2011/10/how-to-install-google-android-on-the-hp-touchpad-with-cyanogenmod7.html

Got stuck on one part and then I was fine. If your installing it you'll probably get stuck in the same place.

**********From Instructions*************
    Click on the Start Menu.
    Type “cmd” (without quotes) into the search box.
    A terminal window should open up — but you’re in the wrong directory.
    Type “cd c:\” and press enter to get to your root directory.
    To navigate to the correct directory, type “dir” and press enter to see a list of directories.
    On my computer, I next typed “cd Program Files” and hit enter, then “cd Palm, Inc” and hit enter again.

All the above is correct until you get to the last line where it says "cd Palm, Inc" if you download the latest sdk it's actually called "cd HP webOS" HP must have changed the name since the article was last updated. So where I ran novacom from SDK\BIN directory, make sure you put the ACME installer in the same folder as novacom.exe which lies in the HP webOS\SDK\BIN folder, this makes no sense right now but refer to it when you get stuck other than that it's a simple installation and you don't need to be a tech head to do it. Total install time about 30minutes between downloading the right files and booting into android. Would highly recommend anyone with a touch pad do it.

:):):):):):)Yay HP Touch Droid, finally:):):):):)

I just installed Android tonight and I think all is well. But the folder you refer to was called "Palm, Inc" for me as per the instructions. Don't know how yours was "HP webos".

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

anyone the done the palm webos kindle trick, with android you create a new folder in the root directory called kindle, copy your mobi and coverCache from the .palmkindle folder, restart kindle, viola, all your book and covers in a better version of kindle then the webos version

• Damnit I messed up. Stupidly I followed the guide and I installed Alpha 2 when Alpha 3 was available. I downloaded Alpha 3 and installed it with ClockWorkMod. When I rebooted though the screen went black and stayed black. Nothing happened for a bit so I hit the power button and was greeted with the home screen.

I don't know what happened but there was no "CyanogenMod" screen with the Robot. I don't know if I've messed things up or not really. I check the "About" screen and it says "Alpha 3" though. Things seem to be a bit flakey though.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

chris1970 wrote: »
    anyone the done the palm webos kindle trick, with android you create a new folder in the root directory called kindle, copy your mobi and coverCache from the .palmkindle folder, restart kindle, viola, all your book and covers in a better version of kindle then the webos version

Im kinda lost about this post?
    Can you expand a bit?

Did you install kindle app for webos or for android? I want to install the kindle app for my touchpad but I cant find it in the app catalog...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Damnit I messed up. Stupidly I followed the guide and I installed Alpha 2 when Alpha 3 was available. I downloaded Alpha 3 and installed it with ClockWorkMod. When I rebooted though the screen went black and stayed black. Nothing happened for a bit so I hit the power button and was greeted with the home screen.

I don't know what happened but there was no "CyanogenMod" screen with the Robot. I don't know if I've messed things up or not really. I check the "About" screen and it says "Alpha 3" though. Things seem to be a bit flakey though.

Any advice?

Did you get it up an running again? The same happened to me on alpha2 but was resolved by holding the right combanation of buttons(which I can't find right now) 2 Things i've noticed, after sleep you need to switch on and off wifi, the other thing is it can pull a blank after turning off, you need to connect the charger for a minute or 2 even if the battery is full. Besides that though it's perfect, not flaky at all.

• Advertisement

• Thanks for the reply mate. It displays odd behaviour such as sometimes not vibrating when I select "shutdown" and then showing the boot menu again. Other times it shuts down grand. Not sure if I've messed things up or it's just a bug with the alpha.

I watched a video of how to upgrade from alpha 2 to alpha 3 and when they restarted it took several minutes before the home screen appeared. With mine the screen went completely blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

neacy69 wrote: »
    Im kinda lost about this post?
    Can you expand a bit?

Did you install kindle app for webos or for android? I want to install the kindle app for my touchpad but I cant find it in the app catalog...

check start of thread for webos app kindle link, or android market app, if you put cm7 on TP.With android kindle app, create a 'kindle' folder in the root dir, put your kindle files into restart kindle, making sure covercache folder is included for cover pictures, then check device setting in the app, book should show up, enjoy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just installed this on my TouchPad and it's working very well. I didn't like the way the interface looked, doesn't suit the tablet at all I think but I found this theme (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1311339) which is much nicer. I installed launcher pro with 8 rows and 10 columns for the homescreen. I also hid the dock, I'd prefer to remove it altogether but this will do for now. It looks awesome now, enough to tide me over until we get ICS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Be Warned, the feckin alarm clock, It went off this morning, couldn't reboot, couldn't trun off the pad and the bugger wouldn't stop ringing. Have it left under the blankets at home rining away hopefully it's dead when I get home so I can recharge it and hopefully it's all working again. I'd advse not using it unless you really needed it, it had been ok since android was installed just this morning couldn't trun it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Just wondering if anybody could give me the latest and best links! About to get my hands on one of these tomorrow... has anything changed about optimising HP IOS since the first post?

Also, should I do all the HP WebOS up dating and optimizing first before I put android on it? Or does it make any difference? Can I do it just as easily after?

Also should I register my address as US to get more US WebOS apps? or can this be changed after? or does it need to be done?

Apologies for being lazy I was reading through the thread but a lot in it at this stage so was hoping somebody in the know could recommend best android version too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Just wondering if anybody could give me the latest and best links! About to get my hands on one of these tomorrow... has anything changed about optimising HP IOS since the first post?

Also, should I do all the HP IOS up dating and optimizing first before I put android on it? Or does it make any difference? Can I do it just as easily after?

Also should I register my address as US to get more US IOS apps? or can this be changed after? or does it need to be done?

Apologies for being lazy I was reading through the thread but a lot in it at this stage so was hoping somebody in the know could recommend best android version too!

iOS

WebOS

• Just wondering if anybody could give me the latest and best links! About to get my hands on one of these tomorrow... has anything changed about optimising HP IOS since the first post?

Also, should I do all the HP IOS up dating and optimizing first before I put android on it? Or does it make any difference? Can I do it just as easily after?

Also should I register my address as US to get more US IOS apps? or can this be changed after? or does it need to be done?

No, Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, No.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

This:

http://m.techcrunch.com/2011/12/07/hp-touchpad-ebay/?p=2&icid=art_next

and this:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/9/2624209/meg-whitman-marc-andreessen-web-os-open-source-interview

I don't know if the HP ebay store will ship to Ireland though. On the other hand, webOS is alive again and it's going open source which means it may have a bright future beyond HP who still intend to use it in tablets and printers. They're also saying they want to keep uniformity across platforms so hopefully each manufacturer won't be putting there own interface over it like many do with android.

anybody having trouble updating theirs? Mine won't do it from the system menu update... and i can't log into this link
    https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/console/pages/LoginPage.iface

get an error and a load of html code... i think....

is it just that the servers are too busy or why does it not update from the system menu? Its thinks it has the latest version, even though when i check it's 3.0.0 :-( any other way to update it?

EDIT: I found the file here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1308920 but the hp doctorr is telling me to plug my touchpad in to the computer.. and i can't click next... even though its plugged in and i can open it in explorer and copy files etc. :-( why is updating so difficult!

EDIT 2 : I had enable developer mode: go to just type, and type in "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart". You should see an icon pop up to enable developer mode. After that, your PC should recognize the tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I keep my Touchpad on the touchstone when it's not in use and it normally displays an analogue clock face but last week it had a digital clock display which I much preferred.

But now it has gone back to the analogue clock.

Is there anyway I can select the digital clock to always display? I can't find any settings for it...:confused:

invest4deepvalue.com

If you are using the touchpad on android and can't download certain apps in the market place (eg. gmail or facebook), instead of opening them in market place, simple google the apps and you will then be able to use the "send to device" to send the apps to the hp touchpad, they then install no problem :-)

I didn't install enough apps the first time using that zip file when flashing to android... and couldn't find away of doing this again.... so thought this might help somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

If you are using the touchpad on android and can't download certain apps in the market place (eg. gmail or facebook), instead of opening them in market place, simple google the apps and you will then be able to use the "send to device" to send the apps to the hp touchpad, they then install no problem :-)

I didn't install enough apps the first time using that zip file when flashing to android... and couldn't find away of doing this again.... so thought this might help somebody else.

There was an update for this in Alpha 2 I think that resolved this. The problem was that the tablet is set as a super size screen and as the apps were not assigned to this category they did not appear.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    There was an update for this in Alpha 2 I think that resolved this. The problem was that the tablet is set as a super size screen and as the apps were not assigned to this category they did not appear.

The only fix i could see was a zip file that you put in to the "cminstall" folder. And then when android loaded the first time I was giving the option to install the apps (they were stored in the zip file). But I didn't realise it was a once off chance and didn't install enough of them! Then i tried re-flashing the android with the zip file in the "cminstall" folder again but didn't get the option this time.

I couldn't find any fix other than this one.. I installed alpha three...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm gonna give Android a whirl on mine now, so this question could be moot, but has anyone successfully installed Touchplayer lately?
    When I try install the ipkg from WebOSnation.com it gives an error every time, invalid or missing filename parameter.

http://www.webosnation.com/touchplayer

(you need to register/log in to see the d/l link I think)

Edit: Wow! Android install was remarkably easy. I thought I was goosed when I got to the terminal command bit but thankfully the old DOS tinkering came back to me and the cd command got me where I needed to be. Now what Android apps do I need? A decent free media player would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Do-more wrote: »
    Is there anyway I can select the digital clock to always display? I can't find any settings for it...:confused:

Just slide the screen to the right (or left) to toggle the clock face between the two analogue options and the digital clock option.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

BenThere wrote: »
    Just slide the screen to the right (or left) to toggle the clock face between the two analogue options and the digital clock option.

Ben

Cheers, also found the third clock face which I had never seen before! :o

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Has anybody installed Alpha 3.5 on their touchpad yet. Is there much of a noticeable difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

stevekavo wrote: »
    Has anybody installed Alpha 3.5 on their touchpad yet. Is there much of a noticeable difference?

just seen alpha 3.5 myself wondering if its worth installing?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

I installed it last night, haven't noticed any major improvements/differences.

From rootzwiki:

ALPHA3.5
    * Video playback improvements
    * UI Composition improvements(nothing major)
    * 3D speed improvements in some circumstances
    * 3D game compatibility improvements(Shadowrun tested, but other games may work better as well)
    * Some changes to wpa_supplicant, remains to be seen whether it makes any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Loaded CM 3.5 last night (well you have to do something Xmas eve after a few pints!!) and I'm well chuffed.

Couple of issues which I'm sure others have encountered and might be able to help me with

1. Even though wi-fi is turned on and I've connected to my local network (and downloaded apps etc from the market) it seems to disconnect from the network for no reason and won't reconnect without a reboot. In wi-fi settings it's constantly looping through "scanning", "connecting" then "disconnecting".

2. Response times to touch screen inputs can be very slow. When navigating settings menus I 'click' on an option but it only switches to that option 3-4 seconds later. There is a definite delay.

Here's hoping these are known issues which some kind soul will point me in the direction of???

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Quickie, if using the touchstone as a photoframe, can you turn off the photoframe if charging overnight or do you simply take off the touch stone over night? If so, how do you switch off?

Wife is chuffed with her xmas gift, 32GB
    Angry birds going down well with the young ones.

Any other apps worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Fiskar wrote: »
    Wife is chuffed with her xmas gift, 32GB and the touchstone adds that little extra "Steve Jobs" (RIP) Touch to it.

What does inductive charging have to do with being a close-minded jackass?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Really good tweaked version of CM7 - biggest improvement I have seen is battery life. Getting a full day with heavy use including a couple of hours of RTE player yesterday...

Do a Titanium backup of your apps to preserve settings

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321335

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

BenThere wrote: »
    Loaded CM 3.5 last night (well you have to do something Xmas eve after a few pints!!) and I'm well chuffed.

Couple of issues which I'm sure others have encountered and might be able to help me with

1. Even though wi-fi is turned on and I've connected to my local network (and downloaded apps etc from the market) it seems to disconnect from the network for no reason and won't reconnect without a reboot. In wi-fi settings it's constantly looping through "scanning", "connecting" then "disconnecting".

2. Response times to touch screen inputs can be very slow. When navigating settings menus I 'click' on an option but it only switches to that option 3-4 seconds later. There is a definite delay.

Here's hoping these are known issues which some kind soul will point me in the direction of???

Ben

Any luck with fixing the wifi issue?? Having the same one??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Davie89 wrote: »
    Any luck with fixing the wifi issue?? Having the same one??

I dont have disconnections but have trouble reconnecting sometimes- usually sorted by a reboot. Changing the router channel has helped I am currently on Ch 2. I have found anything over 6 gives me more trouble and over 10 wont connect at all. Maybe check the channel first if you havent already.

I tend never to turn wifi off on the TP so have far fewer reconnection problems than I used to..

It is a very common issue with CM7 on TP

Advertisement