Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

webels wrote: »
    Really good tweaked version of CM7 - biggest improvement I have seen is battery life. Getting a full day with heavy use including a couple of hours of RTE player yesterday...

Do a Titanium backup of your apps to preserve settings

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321335

Thanks Webels, I think I'll give this a go and see if it sorts out the wi-fi issue I'm having.

One thing I can't figure out though is what file do I download :confused: The download link has two sets of files i.e. CM_7.1_XRONified_v3.3.1.zip and XRONified_vB2.8_Odex-bloat.zip

What's the difference between the files and which one should I be downloading given I've already installed CM7 3.5???

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joemac99

Be Warned, the feckin alarm clock, It went off this morning, couldn't reboot, couldn't trun off the pad and the bugger wouldn't stop ringing. Have it left under the blankets at home rining away hopefully it's dead when I get home so I can recharge it and hopefully it's all working again. I'd advse not using it unless you really needed it, it had been ok since android was installed just this morning couldn't trun it off.

ARGH!! I just set the alarm last night and now it won't shut off. What was the resolution on your issue?
    Thanks,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks Webels, I think I'll give this a go and see if it sorts out the wi-fi issue I'm having.

One thing I can't figure out though is what file do I download :confused: The download link has two sets of files i.e. CM_7.1_XRONified_v3.3.1.zip and XRONified_vB2.8_Odex-bloat.zip

What's the difference between the files and which one should I be downloading given I've already installed CM7 3.5???

Ben

Hi Ben
    Your right download the ZIP you mention above on this page. For a few days new zips were appearing nightly but this is the same one for the last few days some guys need a break for Christmas...

http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Touchpad_Developers/Team_Xron/CM7base_XRONified/

Follow instructions in post 2 on this page (5 steps mentioned)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321335

Note i would add a couple of steps,
    1. doing a backup first of all (in reboot to recovery) in case the process goes belly up you can fall back to the version of Android you are on.
    2. If you dont have titanium from the Market, get it to backup your apps as by doing a wipe cache and dalvik cache and maybe wipe data in recovery you will lose app data (such as bookmarks on your browser etc)

The whole process should take no more than 20 mins, if nothing else it certainly improves battery life, and might improve wifi, - before you do all this did you mess with the channels on your router as mentioned above?

Let me know if you need more help although I am only learning this stuff too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

When updating can u use bootloader to back up ur settings? or will that only work if you want to restore to the same rom? Because I backed up that way, upgraded to alpha 3.5 but then when i restored it went back to alpha 3....

Do you need to back up? Because I then upgraded to 3.5 again and all my apps and stuff were still installed......

I have myback up pro (the only app I've ever bought!) so can use that to back up stuff.... but I'm just a bit confused as to what I should be doing when I upgarde... full factory reset and then upgrade, or just upgrade....

When updating can u use bootloader to back up ur settings? or will that only work if you want to restore to the same rom? Because I backed up that way, upgraded to alpha 3.5 but then when i restored it went back to alpha 3....

Do you need to back up? Because I then upgraded to 3.5 again and all my apps and stuff were still installed......

I have myback up pro (the only app I've ever bought!) so can use that to back up stuff.... but I'm just a bit confused as to what I should be doing when I upgarde... full factory reset and then upgrade, or just upgrade....

Correct you can put this zip straight on using cwm based recovery preserving all your apps and
    data but I had a few issues with WiFi etc and I wanted to try clearing data to see if it helped. Backup and restore is done in cwm based recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Ne touche pas

Got a 32gb for xmas and boy its great, watching live darts in my kitchen, flash playing is brillant

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Has anyone set up an Ireland.com email account on a webOS touchpad yet? I have all the correct settings (I think), but I keep getting nothing but timeouts.

What's the correct mail server for IMAP?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

i am insterested in porting my touchpad but can anyone point me in the right direction i am now currently lost in different releases and different tutorials.

any help appreciated

tks

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Ben
    Your right download the ZIP you mention above on this page.

Hi Webels,

Thanks for the help. Been away for a few days so will probably do this tomorrow once the hangover has cleared!!!

Can you confirm which ZIP should I download? I referred to both CM_7.1_XRONified_v3.3.1.zip and XRONified_vB2.8_Odex-bloat.zip.

Regards,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Hi Webels,

Thanks for the help. Been away for a few days so will probably do this tomorrow once the hangover has cleared!!!

Can you confirm which ZIP should I download? I referred to both CM_7.1_XRONified_v3.3.1.zip and XRONified_vB2.8_Odex-bloat.zip.

Regards,

Ben

XRONified_vB2.8_Odex-bloat.zip is the newest release and I am running it right now on my own touchpad. Think the other file may be the original from a while back, go for vB2.8. Make sure you follow instructions for flashing this. You should do a factory wipe/clear cache/clear dalvik cache (advanced) in CWM then use install zip to install this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Redisle wrote: »
    XRONified_vB2.8_Odex-bloat.zip is the newest release and I am running it right now on my own touchpad. Think the other file may be the original from a while back, go for vB2.8. Make sure you follow instructions for flashing this. You should do a factory wipe/clear cache/clear dalvik cache (advanced) in CWM then use install zip to install this.

Just installed this (some of us have to work on NYE!)
    Had a few glitches when installing.....
    Got stuck in a boot loop when it was trying to boot android from moboot, turns out that it was doing it as I still had the USB connected to the PC. Disconnected it and booted no problem.
    Next problem was that the menu to "complete action using com.android.provision.DefaultActivity" kept flickering up. Rebooted and selected the option before it had time to flick off.

I have all my apps installed now, running perfect. The battery drains fairly swiftly alright. Using MX Video Player for video, works well only had 1 FC so far.

I put TeamViewer on it too which is great for controlling my PC/Laptop/Mac while in work. Works very well on it :)
    Most of my games are working well bar asphalt 6.
    Google Music is great on it.
    Bluetooth is working.

I'm going to leave it on until it drains out and I'll post up my BBS (BetterBatteryStats) log to see how long its lasting.

Hi Ben
    Your right download the ZIP you mention above on this page.

Hi Webels,

Regards,

Ben
    Sorry Ben
    looks like its been answered already but xronified bloat file you are after. As already said just follow instructions and you should have no bothers.
    happy new year to all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Woke up this morning and my touchpad screen is not working. Woke it up and I cant press anything. Is there anyway to reset it without using the screen?? Im running android.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Hold the power and the home key until it shuts down. Then press the power key to reboot it. Hopefully a reboot will sort the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Cheers man, that sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Is there any way to log out of Facebook in WebOS?
    Other than removing the account I mean. Seems like a right pain in the hole if there's more than one person using the tablet, not being able to just log one out and log the other in.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

milltown wrote: »
    Is there any way to log out of Facebook in WebOS?
    Other than removing the account I mean. Seems like a right pain in the hole if there's more than one person using the tablet, not being able to just log one out and log the other in.

I just get user 2 to use the web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Is it possible to install preware and also keep the android as a dual boot.

I have CM7 alpha 3.5 on my TP but find it very buggy.

If there was a good video player and a good reading app available on preware I might uninstall android.
    Anyone tell me how good it is with preware?
    Thanks

Edit- just read the OP. so is it better without Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

iggy wrote: »
    Is it possible to install preware and also keep the android as a dual boot.

I have CM7 alpha 3.5 on my TP but find it very buggy.
    That's strange. Even Alpha 2 wasn't what i'd usually classify as being "buggy". Have you tried one of the other ROMs?

As for installing preware and keeping the Android in dual boot, yes that's possible.
    If there was a good video player and a good reading app available on preware I might uninstall android.
    Anyone tell me how good it is with preware?
    Preware isn't really any better than the HP App Catalog. Actual useful apps are few and far in between.

As for Android, the best video player that i've used on the Touchpad would be QQPlayer. As for reading apps there's probably hundreds of them. My personal favourite is Akimbo.

Edit- just read the OP. so is it better without Android?
    Not really. The only thing WebOS currently has over Android is slightly better battery life and slightly better Flash performance in the browser. This will change as the custom Android ROMs are developed further.

That's strange. Even Alpha 2 wasn't what i'd usually classify as being "buggy". Have you tried one of the other ROMs?

As for installing preware and keeping the Android in dual boot, yes that's possible.

Preware isn't really any better than the HP App Catalog. Actual useful apps are few and far in between.

As for Android, the best video player that i've used on the Touchpad would be QQPlayer. As for reading apps there's probably hundreds of them. My personal favourite is Akimbo.

Not really. The only thing WebOS currently has over Android is slightly better battery life and slightly better Flash performance in the browser. This will change as the custom Android ROMs are developed further.

Cheers for that.

I just installed the CM7 XRON-ified 2.9.1.
    I'll see how it goes. My TP was rebooting everyu few mins on the alpha 3.5 and was freezing quite a bit.
    I did a full wipe before i installed the new one so hopefully it will be good.

Cheers for the app recommendations I'll give them a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

anyone have any issues with crackling sound on android on the TP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

iggy wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

I just installed the CM7 XRON-ified 2.9.1.
    I'll see how it goes. My TP was rebooting everyu few mins on the alpha 3.5 and was freezing quite a bit.
    I did a full wipe before i installed the new one so hopefully it will be good.

Cheers for the app recommendations I'll give them a go.

Just out of interest did you happen to check your storage partition after you uninstalled? Read a few threads on other forums saying that after cyanogenmod is uninstalled the space that was partitioned for it cant be reclaimed.

Davie89 wrote: »
    Just out of interest did you happen to check your storage partition after you uninstalled? Read a few threads on other forums saying that after cyanogenmod is uninstalled the space that was partitioned for it cant be reclaimed.

How do I check?
    Have to say its been running super with the Xron. I haven't had a single problem so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Latest version of webos 3.0.5 86 is available now, downloading it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've just installed the update, can't see I notice much difference so far. Anyone else using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Downloading now, don't know what's new or updated myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Changelog:

The HP webOS 3.0.5 update enhances core apps like Email and Calendar, improves the video calling experience, and fixes additional bugs.

Faster switching between Day, Week, and Month views, and faster event display in Calendar.
    Faster scrolling when reading an email message.
    Email attachments are now saved with draft messages.
    Added sender photos and IM presence indicators in Email.
    Improved stability when watching video in the Web app.
    Improved handling of MP3s that are transferred from a computer using USB Drive mode.
    Added a dedicated view of contacts available for a video call, for quicker setup of a video call.
    New alert when video quality might be lower because of network issues.
    When typing, pressing the space bar twice inserts a period. This can be toggled on and off.
    Auto-correction can be turned off directly from the onscreen keyboard.
    Added support for HTTP Live Streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I installed the update this morning. Everything running fine,though I did have to update Uberkernal through Preware in order to get my overclock back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like ICS for the Touchpad isn't too far away....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Yep, can't wait.

Seems like the only issue delaying it now is problems creating the installation package and the video playback.

Advertisement