Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Took the plunge and put Cm9 alpha 2 on my touch pad. Was running CM7 and didn't want to update until Netflix and other video playback was sorted.
    Must say I am well impressed with what I have seen so far. Netflix playback is excellent and the whole operating system seems very smooth and stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

iggy wrote: »
    New update alpha 2 now available from same place as above.

Netflix working now.

Just flashed alpha 2 - WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've finally gotten around to posting CM9 to my Touchpad. I was going to wait for the final release but having heard how well the Alpha2 build runs,I decided to go ahead immediately. Very happy with ICS performance/look thus far. Now I just need to overclock the Touchpad a little to get the most from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

For anyone with an Android phone, using this app on your phone in conjunction with this on your Touchpad + possibly wifi tethering to your phone allows you to do proper GPS navigation on your Touchpad in Google Maps. Sounds like a bit of a battery killer, but very cool nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Nforce wrote: »
    I've finally gotten around to posting CM9 to my Touchpad. I was going to wait for the final release but having heard how well the Alpha2 build runs,I decided to go ahead immediately. Very happy with ICS performance/look thus far. Now I just need to overclock the Touchpad a little to get the most from it.

There's an app in market called CPU no frills that I use to overclock.
    Very easy to use .
    I have it overclocked to 1.5 or 1500 . You can overclock to more but it's not recommended by some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

running the new cm9. have to say its awesome. fair play to those developers for giving us this for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Just installed cm9 as well, really enjoying it. So handy having a decent browser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Anyone successfully viewing the US Netflix lineup on their Touchpad? If so,how did you manage it? :)

Edit: Dis-regard the above,....I think I've found the solution. I'll need to set a static IP and carry out the following..
    Instruction for Android 4.0+ (ICS / Ice Cream Sandwich)

1. Settings
    2. WiFi (click on word "WiFi", not ON/OFF switch)
    3. Press and hold preferred (or active) wireless network until dialog pops up
    4. Select "Modify Network"
    5. Check "Show advanced options" checkbox at the bottom
    6. Switch "IP settings" to "Static"
    7. Keep IP address, Gateway and Network prefix length the same (should be set from standard DHCP)
    8. Set DNS 1 and DNS 2 fields as per table above.
    9. "Save"
    10. Restart your phone (power cycle).

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291571

I'm using Playmo, so hopefully it'll work for me.:)

Edit 2: It works! I had to use the Unblock-US DNS settings though..

DNS 1 208.122.23.22
    DNS 2 208.122.23.23

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Whats wifi like on alpha 2 guys, any drops?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Whats wifi like on alpha 2 guys, any drops?

I'm found no drops at the time, but toggle it on/off and sometimes it took ages to re-connect. More often then not it did not connect.

After installing an app from the market called FXR WiFi fix and rescue.
    I ran it a few times and I can toggle it on/off with no reconnection issues at all.

Running CM9 alpha2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I finally decided to sell mine, just never used it enough to justify having it, got carried away with the firesale, only got a case for it a few weeks back but still haven't even got around to installing android, threw it on Dondeal for €250 (16GB), being a bit greedy but will see how much I can get for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

Has anyone get Chrome working on ICS for the Touchpad? I'm getting an error about the minimum supported version being ICS 4.0. I'm running 4.0.3

nc6000 wrote: »
    Has anyone get Chrome working on ICS for the Touchpad? I'm getting an error about the minimum supported version being ICS 4.0. I'm running 4.0.3

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nathan.jf.build.prop.editor#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDUwMSwib3JnLm5hdGhhbi5qZi5idWlsZC5wcm9wLmVkaXRvciJd

download build.prop editor above

Backup before doing this.
    use it to change:
    ro.build.id to IML74K

and change:
    ro.build.display.id to IML74K

reboot and download chrome beta from market.

PS Chrome still freezes up quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Touchpad has stopped charging completely, white light doesn't appear on the front, holding the power and menu buttons doesn't work, tried connecting it to my laptop, nothing happens. Time to ring support.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Touchpad has stopped charging completely, white light doesn't appear on the front, holding the power and menu buttons doesn't work, tried connecting it to my laptop, nothing happens. Time to ring support.

Did you drain the battery completely while in CM7 or 9?

gambiaman wrote: »
    Did you drain the battery completely while in CM7 or 9?

I'm not using android on it.

Didn't work, thought it might be the cable but I've tried using three different mini usb cables now and sill nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Has anyone here used an OTG cable to mount flash drives to the TP ?
    Can you transfer data without extra power (using a Y-connector) no problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Pique wrote: »
    Haven't used one on a Touchpad, but on the Galaxy S2 if it's a non-powered source, like a usb stick, it powers it through the port. If it's a hard drive that's power by usb you'll need the y cable or the drive's external power source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Don't think it will work, due to reasons listed above. I've read somewhere about people using small external power supplies, like portable phone chargers etc. to power the USB key, I can't find it at the moment but they were getting 4 hours playback from the key and battery pack. I stick up the link if I find it.
    What about a 'Wi-drive' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-32GB-Portable-Storage-Wi-Drive/dp/B005KSXZR2/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1331304186&sr=1-2
    Argos are selling these as Ipad accessories so i think they should work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Pique wrote: »

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/micro-usb-male-to-female-otg-data-charging-adapter-cable-for-samsung-i9220-i9250-black-117597

got one of these just there now, inspired by your post.. worth a gamble for €1.66! you could be waiting a while for feedback from me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

The Mulk wrote: »
    Don't think it will work, due to reasons listed above. I've read somewhere about people using small external power supplies, like portable phone chargers etc. to power the USB key, I can't find it at the moment but they were getting 4 hours playback from the key and battery pack. I stick up the link if I find it.
    What about a 'Wi-drive' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-32GB-Portable-Storage-Wi-Drive/dp/B005KSXZR2/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1331304186&sr=1-2
    Argos are selling these as Ipad accessories so i think they should work

Handy, but expensive option.
    I reckon it 'should' work as the flash drive needs minimal power.
    An external 2.5" drive which needs to spin up, will definitel need external power.
    Will give it a shot and see. For the sake of a couple of bucks, it would be worthit.
    My TP is a glorified web browser/Angry Birds console at the mo. Box & Dropbox are useless for storing movies as the max filesize is too small.

• http://www.dealextreme.com/p/micro-usb-male-to-female-otg-data-charging-adapter-cable-for-samsung-i9220-i9250-black-117597

got one of these just there now, inspired by your post.. worth a gamble for €1.66! you could be waiting a while for feedback from me though!

I think you just lost €1.66 and will be waiting a long, long time. I made an order on DealExtreme this week and only then saw their "apology" on the homepage. It seems their service has gone to the dogs unfortunately.

Hp are sending me a replacement charger for free, nice bunch of lads

gambiaman wrote: »
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nathan.jf.build.prop.editor#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDUwMSwib3JnLm5hdGhhbi5qZi5idWlsZC5wcm9wLmVkaXRvciJd

download build.prop editor above

Backup before doing this.
    use it to change:
    ro.build.id to IML74K

and change:
    ro.build.display.id to IML74K

reboot and download chrome beta from market.

PS Chrome still freezes up quite a bit.

Chrome just updated for me earlier and is now working perfectly. Using it to make this post.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

ShaneU wrote: »
    Hp are sending me a replacement charger for free, nice bunch of lads

My charger recently broke on my Touchpad, I was trying to contact HP to sort out a replacement but the HP website is so confusing for trying to get in touch with someone or to find an actual email address, where did you contact?

Cheers! :)

Moyglish wrote: »
    My charger recently broke on my Touchpad, I was trying to contact HP to sort out a replacement but the HP website is so confusing for trying to get in touch with someone or to find an actual email address, where did you contact?

Cheers! :)
    Call 00442076600950 you'll need the serial number

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Lads and lassies,

I'm home alone all weekend minding the kids so I think it's time to update to the latest ICS, I'm currently on an early CM7 version. As it's been a few months since I loaded CM7 are there any particular tips or tutorials I should follow to get the latest and greatest ICS version? I'm happy to completely wipe the machine BTW as it hasn't been used much since I loaded CM& due to the fact it would constantly drop the wi-fi connection. I'm hoping the latest build will resolve that problem.

I'd also love to run the Chrome browser but that might be pushing it a bit :p

Cheers for any and all replies. I'm itching to go!!

Ben

• Advertisement

benthere
    The good news is that the chrome browser is now working.
    As far as upgrading I used the clockwork mod method and everything working perfectly.

Advertisement