Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Cheers Chris,

I'll download and install that.

BTW, I discovered I already had the FXR wifi fixer app installed (must have come with CM9?) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brilliapps.wifiandmorefixer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5icmlsbGlhcHBzLndpZmlhbmRtb3JlZml4ZXIiXQ.. so I ran that and it cleared all wi-fi settings allowing a nice clean re-connection which held long enough for me to download and install wi-fi fixer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wahtod.wififixer&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwib3JnLndhaHRvZC53aWZpZml4ZXIiXQ.. and that seems to be keeping things connected OK. I used the TP for an hour afterwards (web browsing, email, twitter etc) and it held the connection fine. I left it on the touchstone overnight and it still had a connection this morning so hopefully through a combination of apps and trial and error I will now be able to keep it connected.

BTW, if I want to flash nightlies do I just download the zip to the SD card and flash it via recovery? If so I assume I also need to do a factory wipe, cache wipe and app backup etc?

Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

BenThere wrote: »
    Cheers Chris,

I'll download and install that.

BTW, I discovered I already had the FXR wifi fixer app installed (must have come with CM9?) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brilliapps.wifiandmorefixer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5icmlsbGlhcHBzLndpZmlhbmRtb3JlZml4ZXIiXQ.. so I ran that and it cleared all wi-fi settings allowing a nice clean re-connection which held long enough for me to download and install wi-fi fixer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wahtod.wififixer&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwib3JnLndhaHRvZC53aWZpZml4ZXIiXQ.. and that seems to be keeping things connected OK. I used the TP for an hour afterwards (web browsing, email, twitter etc) and it held the connection fine. I left it on the touchstone overnight and it still had a connection this morning so hopefully through a combination of apps and trial and error I will now be able to keep it connected.

BTW, if I want to flash nightlies do I just download the zip to the SD card and flash it via recovery? If so I assume I also need to do a factory wipe, cache wipe and app backup etc?

Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

Ben

I just wipe the two cache, install zip ,reboot :-)
    Running latest nightly 4.0.4 , smooth as silk
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1568685

Chris,

If I want to install the latest nightly do I then need to re-flash Gapps and Rohans Supreme Mods?

Also, If I don't do a factory wipe will I keep all my apps and screen layouts, gadgets etc?

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Chris,

If I want to install the latest nightly do I then need to re-flash Gapps and Rohans Supreme Mods?

Also, If I don't do a factory wipe will I keep all my apps and screen layouts, gadgets etc?

Cheers,

Ben

Hey Ben,

I updated to nightly last night. Just put the Nightly zip file and the new gapps zip on the touchpad and you can install both through ClockworkMod. You should keep all your apps and settings. I did anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I was on CM9 Alpha 2 and went to the new official nightly.

I just flashed it and it looks good.
    All info and links needed following this vid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Ok I've got a USB Host cable with a y cable. One end has a memory stick and the power end is plugged into a Duracell rechargeable USB Johnie.

I can now view files/videos on the USB stick thru the touchpad :-)

However, using ES file manager, I cannot paste these files into the touchpad.
    I have all given ES full SU access and allowed root writing.

What the hell am not doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Just updated to Alpha 2 and it's looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I cannot get Clockwork Mod recovery installed on my Touchpad, it's driving me nuts!

Have updated to the latest Moboot and tried to flash it on its own using these instructions to no avail. Reluctant to flash CM9 without CWM Recovery working as I've seen many mentions of clearing the Dalvik Cache after install.

Any suggestions?
    You will need Novacom on the computer to proceed thru this process. Follow the webOS SDK] guide, to get Novacom on the computer.
    NOTE: The webOS SDK is sufficient. VirtualBox is only needed to install the webOS PDK Toolset (which isn't needed). Virtualbox is needed if the computer is running OS X.
    Download the ACME Installer, MOBoot & the ClockworkMod Recovery:
    ACME Installer: Download
    md5: 8c140a93e4451977174aa896e5c8bdf4
    MOBoot 0.3.5: Download
    SHA1: 32eb4a65f47cc586f5b728afe502b93ff63592f8
    ClockworkMod Recovery: Download
    md5: 1308300f38685d44afde730efd9132cc
    Unzip the ACME Installer into the same folder as Novacom.
    NOTE: On Windows, this is most likely be C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc. or C:\Program Files\HP webOS. On OS X, this is most likely be opt/nova/bin.
    Connect the HP Touchpad to the computer via USB.
    Once connected, tap the alert to enable Mass Storage Mode on the HP Touchpad.
    Copy the ClockworkMod Recovery & MOBoot zips into a folder in the root directory of the HP Touchpad called "cminstall" which you have to create.
    Turn the HP Touchpad off.
    Hold down the "Power" and Volume Up button until an USB symbol appears on the screen.
    Once the computer recognizes the HP Touchpad, open terminal and naviagte to the directory Novacom is in.
    In the terminal on the computer and run the following command:
    novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller
    The ClockworkMod Recovery & MOBoot should now be installed on the HP Touchpad.

I cannot get Clockwork Mod recovery installed on my Touchpad, it's driving me nuts!

Have updated to the latest Moboot and tried to flash it on its own using these instructions to no avail. Reluctant to flash CM9 without CWM Recovery working as I've seen many mentions of clearing the Dalvik Cache after install.

Any suggestions?

http://liliputing.com/2012/01/how-to-install-android-4-0-on-the-hp-touchpad-cyanogenmod-9-alpha.html

Chris,

Cheers,

Ben
    New nightly

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=tenderloin&type=nightly
    Wipe caches, install zip, install gapps 3/17, reboot it should leave touchpad with apps untouched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

chris1970 wrote: »
    New nightly

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=tenderloin&type=nightly
    Wipe caches, install zip, install gapps 3/17, reboot it should leave touchpad with apps untouched

Is there anyway to wipe the caches without CWM? Is it absolutely necessary to wipe the caches?

Is there anyway to wipe the caches without CWM? Is it absolutely necessary to wipe the caches?
    Its recommended to wipe caches, you can try without and see what happens. Its all fun and games till it goes sideways.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/205668-what-does-wiping-cache-dalvik-cache-do.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Pique wrote: »
    Ok I've got a USB Host cable with a y cable. One end has a memory stick and the power end is plugged into a Duracell rechargeable USB Johnie.

I can now view files/videos on the USB stick thru the touchpad :-)

However, using ES file manager, I cannot paste these files into the touchpad.
    I have all given ES full SU access and allowed root writing.

What the hell am not doing??

Must get one of those cables, got some info on them?
    Already got the duracell rechargeable thing ( i was the thread starter of that deal!) and loads of mem sticks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

phill106 wrote: »
    Must get one of those cables, got some info on them?
    Already got the duracell rechargeable thing ( i was the thread starter of that deal!) and loads of mem sticks :)

Duracell rechargeable thing....where do I get one of these bad boys? Take it it was a bargain alert that I missed? Or what is the proper name so I can search ebay! used to have one of those doulbe USB cables so hope it's around somehere! Have the usb adapter thing on the way from DX....

USB Host cable is HERE.
    Y Cable is HERE.
    Duracell rechargeable thingy is HERE.

Touchpad-USB Host-Single end of Y Cable.
    Red end of Y cable - Duracell
    Plug flash drive into Female end of Y cable.

Browse files. Watch movies etc.
    Apparently, the copy function isn't working in CM7 though :(

USB Host cable is HERE.
    Y Cable is HERE.
    Duracell rechargeable thingy is HERE.

Touchpad-USB Host-Single end of Y Cable.
    Red end of Y cable - Duracell
    Plug flash drive into Female end of Y cable.

Browse files. Watch movies etc.
    Apparently, the copy function isn't working in CM7 though :(

Thanks, Duracell thing is pricey enough... wondering how much i need it!

if you check in tesco, they should have it for a few euro. Scan it even if it shows higher on the shelf :) It is generally by the batteries.

You definiyely need it or something like it. THe USB port isn't powered on the TP.

Like phil106 said, I got mine in Tesco for a couple of Euro a few months ago. Any similar thing will work, I reckon.

For a HDD, it may not have enough juice though so a powered USB hub will be required.

You definiyely need it or something like it. THe USB port isn't powered on the TP.

Like phil106 said, I got mine in Tesco for a couple of Euro a few months ago. Any similar thing will work, I reckon.

For a HDD, it may not have enough juice though so a powered USB hub will be required.

ah yeah know i need it to plug in usb's and get them to work, but I was wondering how much i need to be able to plug in a mem stick into my touchpad. I'll have a look in tesco, thanks!

Have ordered the otg cable and the usb y cable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Haven´t used my Touchpad in awhile and upon turning it on the other day it notifed me that there was an update available - can´t remember the version, I´m sure it´s the latest one though?

Anyways, since the update I cannot use my headphones with the touchpad - the voices / sounds are very low, something´s messed up the sound, I´m assuming it´s the update?

Headphones work fine with other devices and the audio is perfect when used via the speakers.

Is this a common problem since the update? Any idea how I can fix it?

BTW, Touchpad hasn´t been rooted - still using WebOS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Wondering if anyone can help me with my problem. I updated to CM9 ICS earlier. Installed the market but nothing will download. I tried downloading lots of different things like VLC, Flash, Angry Birds etc. But it just stays on downloading forever. I left it for an hour and when I got back it still said downloading.

Browser works fine so the WiFi is definitely working. It's annoying me not being able to play Draw Something, please help :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

That has happened to me before but not sure how it was solved. I assume you have tried restarting?

Has the market updated itself to Google Play? Maybe try a different version of gapps.zip?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I tried everything. Installed 3 different gapps zip files but nothing.

I dropped down to Alpha 0.5 though and it works okay now :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Just wanted to note that I was having awful issues with holding a consistent WiFi signal on the original Alpha 0.6. Just flashed to the 12.04.12 nightly file - Haven't had a single drop since. Occasional random reboots aside, I'd really recommending doing the same if you're having similar issues. Also had to re-run the gapps installation from clockworkmod after the upgrade. New boot animation is much nicer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I tried everything. Installed 3 different gapps zip files but nothing.

I dropped down to Alpha 0.5 though and it works okay now :)

Thanks

Try the newest official nightly with 3/17 gapps.
    I haven't had a single problem with it.
    Just wipe cache and dalvik and flash new Rom

iggy wrote: »
    Try the newest official nightly with 3/17 gapps.
    I haven't had a single problem with it.
    Just wipe cache and dalvik and flash new Rom

Hi Iggy,

I'm on CheckROm V6 and pretty happy with performance and in particular the battery and phone/wi-fi signal etc but sometimes experience delays between commencing a call (hitting the dial button) and the call actually commencing of up to 1 minute which is mega frustrating.

I tried earlier nightly versions of CM9 but quickly reverted to CheckROM as CM9 seemed to be eating the battery in a major way.

Do you think the nightly versions of CM9 are now closer to a ROM you can live with day to day which gives decent performance in terms of speed, battery life and phone/wi-fi signal? Are there any particular negatives you'd like to share?

Ben

Hi Iggy,

I'm on CheckROm V6 and pretty happy with performance and in particular the battery and phone/wi-fi signal etc but sometimes experience delays between commencing a call (hitting the dial button) and the call actually commencing of up to 1 minute which is mega frustrating.

I tried earlier nightly versions of CM9 but quickly reverted to CheckROM as CM9 seemed to be eating the battery in a major way.

Do you think the nightly versions of CM9 are now closer to a ROM you can live with day to day which gives decent performance in terms of speed, battery life and phone/wi-fi signal? Are there any particular negatives you'd like to share?

Ben

Forget all the above, in the wrong thread :o. Thought I was in the Samsung Galaxy S2 Modding thread :rolleyes:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Forget all the above, in the wrong thread :o. Thought I was in the Samsung Galaxy S2 Modding thread :rolleyes:

Ben

jaysus ben, i was thinking of updating my rom because i thought they were after adding phonecalls to the roms! **** those developers are good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

Moyglish wrote: »
    Haven´t used my Touchpad in awhile and upon turning it on the other day it notifed me that there was an update available - can´t remember the version, I´m sure it´s the latest one though?

Anyways, since the update I cannot use my headphones with the touchpad - the voices / sounds are very low, something´s messed up the sound, I´m assuming it´s the update?

Headphones work fine with other devices and the audio is perfect when used via the speakers.

Is this a common problem since the update? Any idea how I can fix it?

BTW, Touchpad hasn´t been rooted - still using WebOS

This im interested in, whenever i play a video through headphones the voices on the soundtrack are absolute ring, I did install the crack originally for louder sound so maybe thats it? would love to know the root cause for sure though, anyone?

Advertisement