Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

My TP USB power cable that came with the TP is hit or miss as to whether it works. It's got the same problem if it's used to charge something else.

I read previously about others getting replacement ones. Anyone know of a number / email address to persue this?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Just bought one of these on adverts, will be collecting it on Saturday :D.

It already has Ice Cream Sandwich running on it so can I ask what are the best things I can do with it once I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Just bought one of these on adverts, will be collecting it on Saturday :D.

It already has Ice Cream Sandwich running on it so can I ask what are the best things I can do with it once I get it?

Wipe it and put on one of the latest nightly builds. From there get onto the play store and grab what ya want :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Wipe it and put on one of the latest nightly builds. From there get onto the play store and grab what ya want :-)

why install a nightly? have more features been added?

Hopefully that fact that I'm a bit of a n00b won't make it too difficult, cheers for the info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

why install a nightly? have more features been added?

There much more stable in general,, mine kept freezing with the original alpha, but the latest nightly on it last sunday and have had no problems since!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Hopefully that fact that I'm a bit of a n00b won't make it too difficult, cheers for the info

Watching this video should help you get through it. Makes the nightly process easier and more user friendly.

Tweaky wrote: »

Watching this video should help you get through it. Makes the nightly process easier and more user friendly.

Thanks very much, will use it as soon as I get the tablet :).

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here that has had both the touchpad and the iPad? Obviously there's big enough differences with the OS but do the normal tasks like web browsing and using apps etc perform similarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

jimmy_t wrote: »
    This im interested in, whenever i play a video through headphones the voices on the soundtrack are absolute ring, I did install the crack originally for louder sound so maybe thats it? would love to know the root cause for sure though, anyone?

I'm having this problem too, anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm thinking of getting a touchstone, 2 touchpads in this house and was thinking it would be fairly handy, are they worth it?

Anybody selling theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

loopymum wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a touchstone, 2 touchpads in this house and was thinking it would be fairly handy, are they worth it?

I have one and find it great, the kids are great at putting the touchpad back on the touchstone so there is rarely an issue of the touchpad not being fully charged when someone wants to use it (which is multiple times every day).

Deffo worth it if you can find one, but I'm not selling mine!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Do-more wrote: »
    I have one and find it great, the kids are great at putting the touchpad back on the touchstone so there is rarely an issue of the touchpad not being fully charged when someone wants to use it (which is multiple times every day).

Deffo worth it if you can find one, but I'm not selling mine!

Thank you Do-more, you have convinced me, I am finding that all my data cable connecters are getting loose, being plugged in and out so often is not great for them.

By the way someone asked about chargers, I emailed hp about the data connectors getting loose and they told me feck off in a nice way and go back to who I had the touchpad from

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

I'm having this problem too, anyone know why?

I uninstalled the crack for louder sound in preware and the sound is fine now, in WebOS anyway, havent tried it in Android yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Anyone got a working link for to download acmeinstaller2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

The download link is here

When I tried to download from that link it says that it needs a file type.. if that happens try saving is as a .abc file and when it downloads remove the .abc extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I sold my touchpad, I didn't really use it in the year or so I had it. It was fun at the time, but since I got my Galaxy S II, and the fact I have a nice thin and light HP Envy Laptop, I just didn't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I've been on CM9 for ages and am very happy all round with one exception, wi-fi connectivity. The TP keeps dropping the connection when not in use and that's a pain in the ar$e as one of the TP's key features (for me anyway) is that becuase it sits on its touchstone in the living room I (or family members) can just quikly grab it to check something out online or check email etc but everytime it's picked up it has lost the wi-fi connection and it takes a bit of fiddling around turning wi-fi on and off etc (including sometimes having to delete profiles and re-establish network profiles) before internet access can be re-established.

Is there a known fix for this issue? Would updating to the current nightly be a good idea? Would that require a full wipe or can I just pop the ZIP onto the hard drive, boot into recovery and flash it?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been on CM9 for ages and am very happy all round with one exception, wi-fi connectivity. The TP keeps dropping the connection when not in use and that's a pain in the ar$e as one of the TP's key features (for me anyway) is that becuase it sits on its touchstone in the living room I (or family members) can just quikly grab it to check something out online or check email etc but everytime it's picked up it has lost the wi-fi connection and it takes a bit of fiddling around turning wi-fi on and off etc (including sometimes having to delete profiles and re-establish network profiles) before internet access can be re-established.

Is there a known fix for this issue? Would updating to the current nightly be a good idea? Would that require a full wipe or can I just pop the ZIP onto the hard drive, boot into recovery and flash it?

Ben
    I use the classicnerd Rom. Find it very stable and very unusual to get WiFi problems. It does happen the odd time. There is no 100% fix fir WiFi issues on touchpad android. I dont have a touchstone so not sure if that makes a difference

Hi all,

Ben

Fix for broken wifi

Post 625#

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1568685&page=63

• Advertisement

Thanks Chris,

I flashed that and re-connected to my wi-fi network so fingers crossed it'll sort the problem.

BTW, I'm on CM V 9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha2 build number IML74K which dates back to Feb 20th. Are there any compelling improvements built into the latest Nightly Vs my current version that you're aware of and if so do I need to do a full wipe to install the latest nightly or can I just flash the zip and retain all my apps and settings etc?

Ben

Thanks Chris,

I flashed that and re-connected to my wi-fi network so fingers crossed it'll sort the problem.

BTW, I'm on CM V 9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha2 build number IML74K which dates back to Feb 20th. Are there any compelling improvements built into the latest Nightly Vs my current version that you're aware of and if so do I need to do a full wipe to install the latest nightly or can I just flash the zip and retain all my apps and settings etc?

Ben

Update, lots of minor improvements, plus flash the latest gapps 29/4 , goo manger from Google store cuts out update errors , mic fix on horizon

Thanks Chris,

Ben

Update, lots of minor improvements, plus flash the latest gapps 29/4 , goo manger from Google store cuts out update errors , mic fix on horizon, just flash update gapps, it shall restore all your apps to normal

I guess it could be a complete co-incidence but for the first time ever the TP has died and won't re-boot no matter what I try. I got home from work to find it this way so I guess it could have run the battery down to zero and it just needs to be recharged before it will power up again but it's been on the touchstone for a while without showing any signs of life so I plugged it in to charge directly but still nothing. I tried holding the power button for 30 seconds, the home button for 30 seconds, the power and home button for 30 seconds, the power and volume up button for 30 seconds, the power and volume down button for 30 seconds etc etc but no joy.

It really does look bricked but I'm hoping it's not.

Any suggestions or help most appreciated.

Ben

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

ref Usb host.

I have been looking at ways of using usb host for holidays.
    I will have a micro-sd that I will want to transfer to a usb-hd.

So, I will connect a otg m-usb and then a Y-cable.
    Then I need to supply power for the usb-hd - probably through a usb hub, and then connect my m-sd and usb-hd.

so the usb hub. Is there one out there that can be powered by the TP charging cable ?. This way, I won't need to bring another plug for to power the hub.

I know hubs usually plug into the usb of a pc, but I won't have that on hols.
    Just the TP, micro-sd and a usb-hd that i want to connect up and transfer files from one to the other.

k

I guess it could be a complete co-incidence but for the first time ever the TP has died and won't re-boot no matter what I try. I got home from work to find it this way so I guess it could have run the battery down to zero and it just needs to be recharged before it will power up again but it's been on the touchstone for a while without showing any signs of life so I plugged it in to charge directly but still nothing. I tried holding the power button for 30 seconds, the home button for 30 seconds, the power and home button for 30 seconds, the power and volume up button for 30 seconds, the power and volume down button for 30 seconds etc etc but no joy.

It really does look bricked but I'm hoping it's not.

Any suggestions or help most appreciated.

Ben

Bump ^^^^

Guys,

I've a real problem here and would appreciate some help. This is the first time I've been unable to power up the TP. Any suggestions?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Bump ^^^^

Guys,

I've a real problem here and would appreciate some help. This is the first time I've been unable to power up the TP. Any suggestions?

Ben

It's still in warranty, give HP support a call...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Bump ^^^^

Guys,

Ben

Make sure it has been charged and try holding power, home and volume+ at the same time for up to a minute until you see life. It happened to me a long time ago with CM7 but doesn't happen anymore with CM9. Has been pretty common from reading about it when it happened to me. Probably isn't bricked.

This thread discusses worst case scenarios when the above fails to work
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1381564

groom wrote: »
    Make sure it has been charged and try holding power, home and volume+ at the same time for up to a minute until you see life. It happened to me a long time ago with CM7 but doesn't happen anymore with CM9. Has been pretty common from reading about it when it happened to me. Probably isn't bricked.

This thread discusses worst case scenarios when the above fails to work
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1381564

Hi Groom,

Thanks for the suggestion and in particular for the link to that thread, it's very comprehensive. I tried some of the suggestions but still no joy. The only sign of life is that when I connect it to my PC the home button LED flashes in a left right pattern as if to confirm it is charging.

I'm clinging onto that as a sign that there is some life in the TP yet!!

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Check your charger as well. You know the way that the plug part is two bits that come apart ,try separating them and putting them back together to make sure they're good and tight. Mine died at one point and it turned out to just be that the plug was loose. Apparently if the battery goes flat enough it won't charge via PC or touchstone.

Advertisement