Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

stevenmu wrote: »
    Check your charger as well. You know the way that the plug part is two bits that come apart ,try separating them and putting them back together to make sure they're good and tight. Mine died at one point and it turned out to just be that the plug was loose. Apparently if the battery goes flat enough it won't charge via PC or touchstone.

Hi Groom,

It turned out that was exactly the problem! Happy it was so simple. Pissed off it took me a couple of hours to figure out.

Thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Microphone is working at long last on the latest Cyanogenmod nightly build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Thinking of selling mine, dont use it that much. Is there a way to do a factory reset so it wipes everything before I sell it?

I have ICS installed on it too. Is there a way to do a clean install or factory reset on that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Some tips here
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1426244

I dont think the standard wipe removes android, but this does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

opus wrote: »
    Microphone is working at long last on the latest Cyanogenmod nightly build.

Do I need to do anything special to install a nightly?Im currently on alpha 3.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

neacy69 wrote: »
    Do I need to do anything special to install a nightly?Im currently on alpha 3.5

This should cover all the bases :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you techie genius' would be willing to install ICS on my TP?:)

I'm too nervous about doing it myself as I don't have any experience & would be afraid I would brick the pad!!:rolleyes:

I live in Kildare, near Clane, if there are any volunteers!!!:o

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

keredern wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering if any of you techie genius' would be willing to install ICS on my TP?:)

I'm too nervous about doing it myself as I don't have any experience & would be afraid I would brick the pad!!:rolleyes:

I live in Kildare, near Clane, if there are any volunteers!!!:o

Thank you!

Its all part of it man, Lilliput guide very straightforward, sit yourself down , mug of tea, packet of hob nobs ,thirty minutes later your running :cool:

http://liliputing.com/2012/01/how-to-install-android-4-0-on-the-hp-touchpad-cyanogenmod-9-alpha.html

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

chris1970 wrote: »
    Its all part of it man, Lilliput guide very straightforward, sit yourself down , mug of tea, packet of hob nobs ,thirty minutes later your running :cool:

http://liliputing.com/2012/01/how-to-install-android-4-0-on-the-hp-touchpad-cyanogenmod-9-alpha.html

Seriously, I couldn't/wouldn't attempt that...I haven't a clue what half that stuff means!!!:o

But thanks for the link...if I wasn't so techie stupid it would be the biz!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

keredern wrote: »
    Seriously, I couldn't/wouldn't attempt that...I haven't a clue what half that stuff means!!!:o

But thanks for the link...if I wasn't so techie stupid it would be the biz!!:)

I'll do it for you. I'm living in nearby. Unfortunately not around for the weekend but drop me a PM early next week and we'll sort something out one evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

When I try and get the app for splashtop Streamer , if brings me to the HP App Catalog and then says not a valid hp os app

Any ideas how to get it or suggest one that works on android

Also I have put android on the touch pad but YouTube and other video just display a grey screen any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've the latest cyanogenmod nightly on my touchpad and it's fantastic. No problem with YouTube or other videos.

I've the latest cyanogenmod nightly on my touchpad and it's fantastic. No problem with YouTube or other videos.

I'm having that exact problem and thought it was related to Chrome Beta or Flash or something. This is the best reason I've read for upgrading to the latest nightly. Sounds like a project for the weekend.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Using this method has made the nightly updates a 10 min exercise for me and no need to connect to PC. Just make sure there is enough charge in the battery. The goo manager links directly to the latest nightly updates and gapps. No searching anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I have a crack at one of the speakers on my Touchpad. Ive heard (from here included) that is a known issue. However while online chatting the support guy said if android is installed then all warranties are void. Which i find crazy if its a purely hardware fault. Anyone else have trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

I have a crack at one of the speakers on my Touchpad. Ive heard (from here included) that is a known issue. However while online chatting the support guy said if android is installed then all warranties are void. Which i find crazy if its a purely hardware fault. Anyone else have trouble?

I'm pretty sure you can totally uninstall Android and just send it back then, they aren't like to replace though are they if they have not any stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Can anyone help me out.Touchpad died and have no charger.Trying different usb cables and usb ports.left it charging on laptop all night.Keeps looking for original charger and won't boot.Some times light on home button flashing from left to right.I've tryed different psu's ie.apple,blackberry.still not charging.I can order a charger off the net but want to make sure the touchpad is not at fault.So if someone around the Limerick/Cork/Tipp or Kerry area could let me use their charger just to see if the thing will come back to life i'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

balcan wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out.Touchpad died and have no charger.Trying different usb cables and usb ports.left it charging on laptop all night.Keeps looking for original charger and won't boot.Some times light on home button flashing from left to right.I've tryed different psu's ie.apple,blackberry.still not charging.I can order a charger off the net but want to make sure the touchpad is not at fault.So if someone around the Limerick/Cork/Tipp or Kerry area could let me use their charger just to see if the thing will come back to life i'd be very grateful.

Simultaneously hold the power button, volume down button and the big HP button for 30 seconds. Might get it out of that problem. What were you using to charge it previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Simultaneously hold the power button, volume down button and the big HP button for 30 seconds. Might get it out of that problem. What were you using to charge it previously?

Think he's using the laptop... It won't have enough power to charge it at a reasonable pace.... You need 2mA usb power source (As far as I remember, don't have enough time to confirm exact figures) you should be able to buy a charger from ebay or somewhere for a few quid that can supply enough... my phone charger would only trickle charge it... had to leave it in it over night and wouldn't be fully charged.... Even when that warning comes up leave it turned off and plugged in and as far as I remember it will charge a bit (very slowly) but you just need a higher rated usb power source... again confirm about the 2mA... should be somewhere in this thread!

Thanks for the replys.I,ve tried all the button combos to no avail.also tried usb 2500ma charger today and getting use psu supplied with unit coming up on screen.I,ve bitten the bullet and ordered a touchstone off ebay this evening.hopefully it will boot with a bit of charge from it.anyone let their touchpad die without issues once a bit of charge is put back in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

The original touchpad charger uses a certain voltage on the two data lines to indicate to the touchpad that it is okay to draw 2 amps. The standard USB spec has a maximum current of 500mA. If you plug the touchpad into another charger, even if it is rated for 2Amps the touchpad will only draw 500mA or maybe less because the voltage on the data lines is probably setup for a different device.

I have let my touchpad die a few times, in particular the battery was not lasting at all on ICS recently. It charges fine for me if I can get it to boot into WebOS but won't charge from dead at all in Android for some reason. I think I need to do a complete re-install of Android but I am not really using the device at the moment so haven't bothered.

The touchstone should work fine I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Redisle wrote: »
    The touchstone should work fine I would imagine.

Yeah the touchstone comes with the standard charger but not the usb to micro usb cable. You could use another cable rather than the touchstone with the charger the first time to be sure it is getting the max. juice. But either ways it will probably be fine.

invest4deepvalue.com

thanks for the replys.will be getting touchstone during the week.I'll let ye know how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Try a Blackberry charger if you can get one. My original charger doesn't power my TP up anymore but a blackberry usb charger on the same plug does!

Tried various chargers.blackberry,apple ect..hopefully the touchstone works.will post when touchstone arrives hopefully next day or 2

opus wrote: »
    This should cover all the bases :)

Hi Opus,

I'm going to flash the latest Nightly tonight and the tutorial you linked to is perfect.

A few questions though (Aren't there always???) if you don't mind:

1. Can you download the Nightly ZIP file direct to the TP or do you have to copy it across from a PC/Laptop via USB?
    2. Do you not need to back up your apps etc before flashing the latest nightly?
    3. Do you not need to do a factory wipe/reset before flashing the nightly ZIP file?
    4. Do I need to flash Gapps at the same time and if so where can I find the latest/correct version to match with the latest nightly?

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi Opus,

I'm going to flash the latest Nightly tonight and the tutorial you linked to is perfect.

A few questions though (Aren't there always???) if you don't mind:

1. Can you download the Nightly ZIP file direct to the TP or do you have to copy it across from a PC/Laptop via USB?
    2. Do you not need to back up your apps etc before flashing the latest nightly?
    3. Do you not need to do a factory wipe/reset before flashing the nightly ZIP file?
    4. Do I need to flash Gapps at the same time and if so where can I find the latest/correct version to match with the latest nightly?

Cheers,

Ben

If you're already on CM9 (alpha of some sort....i.e. before the nightlys) then you can just download it straight to the touchpad and flash as normal via CWM. Then just flash the latest gapps straight after. Reboot, job done.

If you're coming from CM7 then you need to use acmeinstaller2 method as seen in loads of videos in this thread.

As for backup, if you're flashing over a previous CM9 then you're apps will remain and screen look the same. I'd still do a titanium backup first. I'd probably do a nandroid backup too.....just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Major problem with my touchpad. When I try to turn it on there's a picture of a battery with a question mark inside it, when I charge it the home button flashes back and forth but it won't switch on. any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

ShaneU wrote: »
    Major problem with my touchpad. When I try to turn it on there's a picture of a battery with a question mark inside it, when I charge it the home button flashes back and forth but it won't switch on. any advice?

Mine did that last week. It just got discharged, hadn't used it in a week and had left it on.
    You need to plug it in to the official charger for a few mins, I only left it in for 15min then do a hard reboot. Hold home button and power button for approx 15 seconds. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

lafors wrote: »
    If you're already on CM9 (alpha of some sort....i.e. before the nightlys) then you can just download it straight to the touchpad and flash as normal via CWM. Then just flash the latest gapps straight after. Reboot, job done.

If you're coming from CM7 then you need to use acmeinstaller2 method as seen in loads of videos in this thread.

As for backup, if you're flashing over a previous CM9 then you're apps will remain and screen look the same. I'd still do a titanium backup first. I'd probably do a nandroid backup too.....just in case ;)

Hi Lafors,

Thanks for the info.

Can you point me in the direction of the latest Gapps?

Ben

Advertisement