Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi Lafors,

Thanks for the info.

Can you point me in the direction of the latest Gapps?

Ben

The links to everything you need for the TP are in this post on rootzwiki.com or this is the direct link to the Gapps.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Cheers, thanks Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

I have a crack at one of the speakers on my Touchpad. Ive heard (from here included) that is a known issue. However while online chatting the support guy said if android is installed then all warranties are void. Which i find crazy if its a purely hardware fault. Anyone else have trouble?

Also had a crack on one of the speakers.

Rang HP support, they sent a guy to collect it the next day.

I removed android from it using acmeunistaller

Got it backabout a week later looking brand new,

Re-installed android,

BOOM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keredern viewpost.gif
    Seriously, I couldn't/wouldn't attempt that...I haven't a clue what half that stuff means!!!:o

But thanks for the link...if I wasn't so techie stupid it would be the biz!!:)

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I'll do it for you. I'm living in nearby. Unfortunately not around for the weekend but drop me a PM early next week and we'll sort something out one evening.

Just want to thank BuzzFish for doing a fantastic job on my TP!!

You're a real gentleman, Sir...hats off to you!:)

Sorry about the Rose wine but the other half might enjoy!!:o

Thank you sincerely for your time & the chat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

No problem at all..

And for any others attempting this, be aware that the Novacom driver is not as easy to find as it was. Lots of apps that claim to download it but failing. I think HP might have pulled the files from the download location as there is an update due?

Eventually got the WebOS doctor (for palm pre!) to download and install the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Update on dead touchstone.It's alive.Got touchstone during the wk.Left on touchstone for a while to see if it would charge.No go.Plugged directly into charge and got the charging symbol.Still no boot so left it for few hours and life at last.Been charging fine since thank God as from looking online I thought it was goose'd.Thanks for all the replys lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

balcan wrote: »
    Update on dead touchstone.It's alive.Got touchstone during the wk.Left on touchstone for a while to see if it would charge.No go.Plugged directly into charge and got the charging symbol.Still no boot so left it for few hours and life at last.Been charging fine since thank God as from looking online I thought it was goose'd.Thanks for all the replys lads.

Great news!!

Glad you got sorted!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Mine is kaput I think, will have to ring HP

Screen is completely frozen in both android and webos mode, happened about two weeks ago but I have been up the walls, I've tried running webos doctor but it only got to 42% and stayed frozen for a couple of hours, battery went dead then as well I'd say.
    Everytime I try and run webos it says battery is low and to charge it up but it does not seem to be charging correctly either.
    I tried restarting it and leaving it on the touchstone and it eventually seems to have a start up page asking what language I want but touchscreen is still frozen, I don't think it really finished doctoring it, will try again but battery problems are rife.

I thought I was fecked about sending it back to HP till I looked up how to use the Acme Uninstaller, luckily it can be done remotely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

loopymum wrote: »
    Mine is kaput I think, will have to ring HP

Screen is completely frozen in both android and webos mode, happened about two weeks ago but I have been up the walls, I've tried running webos doctor but it only got to 42% and stayed frozen for a couple of hours, battery went dead then as well I'd say.
    Everytime I try and run webos it says battery is low and to charge it up but it does not seem to be charging correctly either.
    I tried restarting it and leaving it on the touchstone and it eventually seems to have a start up page asking what language I want but touchscreen is still frozen, I don't think it really finished doctoring it, will try again but battery problems are rife.

I thought I was fecked about sending it back to HP till I looked up how to use the Acme Uninstaller, luckily it can be done remotely

where you at? let someone on here that has a bit of experience and different chargers try do something with it first? in west dublin if i can help.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    where you at? let someone on here that has a bit of experience and different chargers try do something with it first? in west dublin if i can help.

Aw thanks but I'm in the South west, I have stuck it on the regular charger now and will see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »
    Major problem with my touchpad. When I try to turn it on there's a picture of a battery with a question mark inside it, when I charge it the home button flashes back and forth but it won't switch on. any advice?
    lafors wrote: »
    Mine did that last week. It just got discharged, hadn't used it in a week and had left it on.
    You need to plug it in to the official charger for a few mins, I only left it in for 15min then do a hard reboot. Hold home button and power button for approx 15 seconds. Hope this helps.

Didn't work. Don't now whether to send it to HP or not, if they find that I put android on it they'll charge me the out of warranty repair fee, and I have no idea how much that'll be.

Did you leave it plugged in ShaneU?

You can use the Acme Uninstaller to get rid of Android, someone further up had no problems doing so and send the tp back to hp

Did you leave it plugged in ShaneU?

You can use the Acme Uninstaller to get rid of Android, someone further up had no problems doing so and send the tp back to hp
    Yes I left it plugged in over night. The problem is I can't get the usb logo to show up, if I try to enter usb mode (power, home, and vol up) the touchpad turns off and all I have is a flashing light on the home button. I can reset normally (power and home) but the battery with question mark is still there.

Are you pressing the power and home button together and then as soon as the tp switches off, let go of those and hold the volume up button?

My own little update

Well bollox! my tp is after being doctored and it finally worked but screen is still frozen! ffs! arghh, now to figure out the acme uninstaller! fffff

Are you pressing the power and home button together and then as soon as the tp switches off, let go of those and hold the volume up button?
    Yep, battery icon still shows up :( It's connected to the computer but it says device unrecognized.

Try following this exactly

If you don't do it bang on it doesn't get the touchpad into recovery mode

Connect the Touchpad to a USB port on your computer.
    Hold Down the Power and Center button, about 15 seconds, as soon as you see the Touchpad reboot let go of both of these buttons and Hold Down the "Up" Volume button and this will force the Touchpad into USB mode. You should see the USB symbol on the Touchpad.

Linky to how to Un Install Android

Yikes, just checked the warranty on the warranty checker and it's saying my factory warranty is out on 30 July 2012, I know I'm still within the year but I did not buy it till September anyway! That's mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Don't know if this has been spotted here so far for CM10 for the TP is on the way...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1778084

• Advertisement

ok, they are collecting my tp sometime next week, dropping an empty box first.

I hope all traces of android are gone, I have no way of checking, I ran the uninstaller and it did it's job but I can't access the memory to check for anything else

Lads,

Will a TP (with CM9 installed) which has run down the battery to the point it won't boot up charge back up on the touchstone?

The TP ran down and I went to charge it via the original charger but I can't find it so I have it on the touchstone for the last six hours but all it's doing is cycling through icons of a low battery symbol, a white cable with a two prong plug symbol and a black screen with the LED light on the home button flashing right to left. Each of three stages I just described lasts 5-10 seconds before moving onto the next one.

I recall this happening before but on that occasion I charged it with the original USB charger and once the charge got to the minimum threshold it automatically booted up. Do I just leave it on the touchstone for 24 hours hoping it eventually charges up enough to boot up or what????

Ben

Anyone have any idea how much an out of warranty repair would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Lads,

Will a TP (with CM9 installed) which has run down the battery to the point it won't boot up charge back up on the touchstone?

The TP ran down and I went to charge it via the original charger but I can't find it so I have it on the touchstone for the last six hours but all it's doing is cycling through icons of a low battery symbol, a white cable with a two prong plug symbol and a black screen with the LED light on the home button flashing right to left. Each of three stages I just described lasts 5-10 seconds before moving onto the next one.

I recall this happening before but on that occasion I charged it with the original USB charger and once the charge got to the minimum threshold it automatically booted up. Do I just leave it on the touchstone for 24 hours hoping it eventually charges up enough to boot up or what????

Ben

There's plenty of info on this over the last few pages, try page 50/51 I think...!

balcan wrote: »

Lads,

My situation is I only have the touchstone, the original charger is lost :mad:

It's been on the touchstone for about 8 hours with the battery and cable symbols cycling but it still hasn't sprung to life and none of the reboot button combinations are having any effect i.e. power+home for >15 seconds, power+vol up+home, power+vol down+home etc

Any suggestions?

I have the original charger plug but seem to have lost the original USB cable and none of the other usb cables I've got lying around seem to transfer any more juice than the touchstone.

Getting real frustrated here and annoyed at myself for misplacing the original usb cable :o

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Hmmm... So what you have is 2 charger plugs, the original 1 and the 1 that came with the touchstone...? If you do, try plugging the touchstone into the spare 1, check both are together properly as they come in 2 pieces which click together. Touchpad cables carry more power than a normal USB but maybe if you try using a normal cable plugging it into a PC, touchpad cables seem to be easily damaged, it may charge up overnight on the trickle you get from the PC. With the touchstone, make sure the touchpad is centered on it and take it out of it's case if it's in 1, maybe try changing between portrait and landscape... You could try a different wall socket just in case. Can't think of anything else right now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think the cable that goes in to the touchstone is the same as the normal charger,so just pull it out of the touchstone and plug it into the touchpad?

stevenmu wrote: »
    I think the cable that goes in to the touchstone is the same as the normal charger,so just pull it out of the touchstone and plug it into the touchpad?

Unfortunately not. The cable that goes into the touchstone doesn't have a micro USB connector, it's hard wired into the touchstone. I had already tried this hoping for the same.

Ben

EI_Flyboy wrote: »
    Hmmm... So what you have is 2 charger plugs, the original 1 and the 1 that came with the touchstone...? If you do, try plugging the touchstone into the spare 1, check both are together properly as they come in 2 pieces which click together. Touchpad cables carry more power than a normal USB but maybe if you try using a normal cable plugging it into a PC, touchpad cables seem to be easily damaged, it may charge up overnight on the trickle you get from the PC. With the touchstone, make sure the touchpad is centered on it and take it out of it's case if it's in 1, maybe try changing between portrait and landscape... You could try a different wall socket just in case. Can't think of anything else right now!

Thanks for the suggestions Flyboy.

As it happens when I got up this morning (the TP was now over 12 hours on the touchstone) I was greeted by a big white USB symbol.

I took the TP off the touchstone, pressed the power button for a few seconds and bingo, up came the reboot and it booted straight into CM.

Happy days are here again :D

From all I had read I understood the touchstone wouldn't ever charge a fully drained TP enough to get it past the low battery threshold and thus capable of rebooting etc but I guess if you leave it more than 12 hours it eventually does!!

Might be of some use to other touchstone users who eventually lose/break their original USB chargers.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Unfortunately not. The cable that goes into the touchstone doesn't have a micro USB connector, it's hard wired into the touchstone. I had already tried this hoping for the same.

Ben
    That's odd, I'll double check later but I'm 90% sure mine had the micro USB connector. Unless maybe there was different versions.

Advertisement