Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Im running CM9 but still have problems with playing music from the built in speakers. Lots of interference type sounds. I did install the goo.im updater and it did install an update. Im on February build.....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

stevenmu wrote: »
    That's odd, I'll double check later but I'm 90% sure mine had the micro USB connector. Unless maybe there was different versions.

Mine's hardwired - the other end is std USB which goes into the wall adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Im running CM9 but still have problems with playing music from the built in speakers. Lots of interference type sounds. I did install the goo.im updater and it did install an update. Im on February build.....

I used to have the same issues with the music being distorted especially when the screen went into standby.

I am now running a CM9 nightly build from some time in march and the music has been fine since then. The same build also fixed issues I had with the wifi failing to come out of standby

neacy69 wrote: »
    I used to have the same issues with the music being distorted especially when the screen went into standby.

I am now running a CM9 nightly build from some time in march and the music has been fine since then. The same build also fixed issues I had with the wifi failing to come out of standby

ah grand stuff. what is the version of your nightly? I might install the same one.
    cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ah grand stuff. what is the version of your nightly? I might install the same one.
    cheers :D

I'll have a look when i get home and post a screenshot

• Advertisement

I installed the latest nightly. sound fixed and some cool new features (profiles etc). Camera still not working though :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

BenThere wrote: »
    EI_Flyboy wrote: »
    Hmmm... So what you have is 2 charger plugs, the original 1 and the 1 that came with the touchstone...? If you do, try plugging the touchstone into the spare 1, check both are together properly as they come in 2 pieces which click together. Touchpad cables carry more power than a normal USB but maybe if you try using a normal cable plugging it into a PC, touchpad cables seem to be easily damaged, it may charge up overnight on the trickle you get from the PC. With the touchstone, make sure the touchpad is centered on it and take it out of it's case if it's in 1, maybe try changing between portrait and landscape... You could try a different wall socket just in case. Can't think of anything else right now!

Thanks for the suggestions Flyboy.

As it happens when I got up this morning (the TP was now over 12 hours on the touchstone) I was greeted by a big white USB symbol.

I took the TP off the touchstone, pressed the power button for a few seconds and bingo, up came the reboot and it booted straight into CM.

Happy days are here again :D

From all I had read I understood the touchstone wouldn't ever charge a fully drained TP enough to get it past the low battery threshold and thus capable of rebooting etc but I guess if you leave it more than 12 hours it eventually does!!

Might be of some use to other touchstone users who eventually lose/break their original USB chargers.

Ben

Bit late for u now but I have a few spare USB cables around.
    Just on the fully drained battery issue, I'm running CM9 and never had an issue with the TP going dead...
    Just stuck it on the touchstone and all was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

It's hard to believe that it is 1 year this week that we started to get our hands on our touchpads. It all started with the bargain alert thread of 2011 which had over 700,000 views by the time it was closed. There was then the frantic rush to Harvey Norman or the pre booking on Argos which had very mixed results. Some people getting their bookings cancelled while others had bookings honoured and went home happy. There was the Fnac fiasco and the list continues.
    It was all in the hope that somebody would create a version of Android to run on our WebOS devices
    Along came the Cyanogenomod team and delivered a solution in record time and we are now the proud owners of Hp Touchpads running Ice Cream Sandwich and having access to the android play store.
    I for one am a happy camper as we have a great little tablet for a fraction of the cost of the competitors equivalent The one in our house is used daily and by all the family.
    All this made possible by a bargain alert on Boards and great work by the Cyanagenomod team.
    We should also not forget HP and the expensive (and hasty)business decision that they made. Every cloud has a silver lining !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Still loving mine! Using it every working day during my lunch, get a week out of a full charge.
    Still rocking webOS too as I kinda like it.

Best buy of 2011 for sure.

wow cant believe its been a year already. Loving mine. Using it every single day! For everything from magazines to games to movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

sorry if this is the wrong thread but havent found a TP for dummies thread yet.
    Ive a TP and am a total non techie person so really sorry for the simplicity of my queries. Ive read a lot of this thread but finding it hard to keep up :confused:

1) To put dvds onto TP do I need some type of software to compress the dvd on my pc and then kalemsoft on my TP to view?

2) Is the real benefit of installing android access to the apps? What version should I be looking at installing and is it wise for a non techie to go this route or will I leave webos alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Still loving my touchpad here! Last time I posted I was sending mine back for a repair and it got collected the next day and then it was returned just over a week later working beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

shamu2new wrote: »
    Ive a TP and am a total non techie person so really sorry for the simplicity of my queries. Ive read a lot of this thread but finding it hard to keep up :confused:

1) To put dvds onto TP do I need some type of software to compress the dvd on my pc and then kalemsoft on my TP to view?

2) Is the real benefit of installing android access to the apps? What version should I be looking at installing and is it wise for a non techie to go this route or will I leave webos alone.

If webos is good for you then leave it alone.

As for the DVDs you need to "rip" them to your hard drive on your PC, convert them to a webos friendly format, and copy them to the touchpad.

There is a variety of software that will do that for you: some free, some paid, but all need a little bit of learning and PC nounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

It is easy for a non techie to put on, have a look back here and you will find links to some great guides, very simple.
    I rarely use webos now, all android, mx player plays anything I throw at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Had a very happy first year with my CM-ed Touchpad. Prob the most fun I've had with it is connecting it up to my Wii remotes via bluetooth for hours of retro emulation fun. (Trying to do the same with on-screen controls just doesn't cut it...)

http://liliputing.com/2011/10/classic-gaming-on-the-hp-touchpad-with-android-a-wiipad-and-a-console-emulator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

Anyone know of a supplier that I can get the y cable from - the amazon one linked earlier wont deliver to Ireland - I want to try the OTG workaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Had a very happy first year with my CM-ed Touchpad. Prob the most fun I've had with it is connecting it up to my Wii remotes via bluetooth for hours of retro emulation fun. (Trying to do the same with on-screen controls just doesn't cut it...)

http://liliputing.com/2011/10/classic-gaming-on-the-hp-touchpad-with-android-a-wiipad-and-a-console-emulator.html
    Cool I had no idea you could do that! Had to send my touchpad to get repaired, let the battery go dead using cm9 and couldn't get it to start again. Don't think i'll risk using cm9 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anyone know of a supplier that I can get the y cable from - the amazon one linked earlier wont deliver to Ireland - I want to try the OTG workaround?

I got one from deal extreme.... It takes about 4 weeks though to deliver so ebay could be better from a uk seller, depending on your patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

ShaneU wrote: »
    Cool I had no idea you could do that! Had to send my touchpad to get repaired, let the battery go dead using cm9 and couldn't get it to start again. Don't think i'll risk using cm9 again.[/QUO
    Mine went dead Monday morning , also running cm9 , dont know why battery died, it was put on touchdock correctly, anyway tried every solution on hp forums, what worked was. ..left it off touch dock and plugged it in overnight, wired direct, I did reset , top button/ bottom centre button for 15 seconds, battery icon appeared, twenty minutes later it came on showing 1% battery left it to recharge, thought it bit the bullet but its back in action again would, sorely missed if it was funked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

chris1970 wrote: »
    One went dead Monday , also running cm9 , dont know why battery died, it was put on touchdock correctly, anyway tried every solution on hp forums, what worked was. ..left it off touch dock and plugged it in overnight, wired direct, I did reset , top button/ bottom centre button for 15 seconds, battery icon appeared, twenty minutes later it came on showing 1% battery left it to recharge, thought it bit the bullet but its back in action again would, sorely missed if it was funked
    Mine had a battery icon with a question mark, refused to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Anyone had the issue where , its been plugged in for days , I press the bower button and the empty battery image briefly appears then gone

Have tried holding the top button / bottom button.
    Tried the volume / top / bottom buttons together

Any ideas , its running CM9

• Registered Users Posts: 7 theblade

Howye's lads,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place or whatever, I see in the new Arsegos book what I think is one of these sold under the name of the CNM Touchpad 9 running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 Android OS. I'm just wondering if anyone off here has bought one of these? I'd really love a tablet but I cant afford an iPad and also its lack of support for Flash renders it useless to me. Im also wondering about Flashplayer updates for this thing, will it be supported. Any help would be great.

Blade

• Does anybody have any trouble with RTE Player and CM9 on their touchpad? I updated to the latest nightly but it still doesn't work right. I have no trouble on other video sites such as youtube and the tv3 player. With the RTE Player it either doesn't play or it does and half of it is off the screen. Hard to describe so I hope you know what I mean.

I booted into WebOS and it played fine but I had no sound!!! I had the same trouble on Youtube and TV3 Player sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

dario28 wrote: »
    Anyone had the issue where , its been plugged in for days , I press the bower button and the empty battery image briefly appears then gone

Have tried holding the top button / bottom button.
    Tried the volume / top / bottom buttons together

Any ideas , its running CM9

You need to trickle charge it from a USB port on your PC. Leave it overnight and it should have sorted itself by morning. Apparently WebOS knows to shutdown the Touchpad before the charge gets too low but CM doesn't take this into account and allows the Touchpad to discharge fully. Or something like that...!

It's a simple fix Chris, which you shouldn't have had to pay for.

Does anybody have any trouble with RTE Player and CM9 on their touchpad? I updated to the latest nightly but it still doesn't work right. I have no trouble on other video sites such as youtube and the tv3 player. With the RTE Player it either doesn't play or it does and half of it is off the screen. Hard to describe so I hope you know what I mean.

I booted into WebOS and it played fine but I had no sound!!! I had the same trouble on Youtube and TV3 Player sites.

no trouble! I updated to the latest nightly and only last night i tried the rte player and it worked flawlessly.

• Bugger! I wonder why I'm having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

What browser are you all using on Android?

I mainly use Dolphin. The browser which came with ICS wasn't great and Chrome was full of bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

nc6000 wrote: »
    What browser are you all using on Android?

I mainly use Dolphin. The browser which came with ICS wasn't great and Chrome was full of bugs.
    Flash only works with stock ics browser, which is still probably the best of the bunch, chrome force closing a lot lately on both my hp touchpad and novo fire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

RTE Player not working for me either using the stock browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Does anybody have any trouble with RTE Player and CM9 on their touchpad? I updated to the latest nightly but it still doesn't work right. I have no trouble on other video sites such as youtube and the tv3 player. With the RTE Player it either doesn't play or it does and half of it is off the screen. Hard to describe so I hope you know what I mean.

Tested mine this morning - it did the same odd half screen thing on the rte player browser screen, but when I tap the full screen button, the video appears normal. Does that help you any?

Advertisement