Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Thanks for taking the time to reply guys! coffee to go, the same thing happened to me. But I went back later and then only youtube would play. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash without success. I tried Dolphin, Opera, Chrome and the stock browser. At least I know now I'm not the only one. I thought I had installed CM9 arseways. Thinking of selling it and buying a Nexus 7 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

EI_Flyboy wrote: »
    You need to trickle charge it from a USB port on your PC. Leave it overnight and it should have sorted itself by morning. Apparently WebOS knows to shutdown the Touchpad before the charge gets too low but CM doesn't take this into account and allows the Touchpad to discharge fully. Or something like that...!

It's a simple fix Chris, which you shouldn't have had to pay for.

Been on charge for 5 days still nothing......any other ideas ?

Is there anywhere that can jump start it , Ive read if ya get some sort of hobby shop type battery charger that can do it if ya take the back off , I wouldnt mind paying a few quid as I need it for the weekend for the baby on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Kinda related to the ongoing 0% battery charge issue.

Does anyone know if there is an Android setting or an App that will shut down the tablet when the charge reaches x%

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Trinnersboy

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how much an out of warranty repair would cost?

I sent mine off and got a quote of £318. Warranty voided due to Android installation. Gonna cost me £30 to get it back without repair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

I sent mine off and got a quote of £318. Warranty voided due to Android installation. Gonna cost me £30 to get it back without repair

Crikey:eek: They certainly know how to charge!

What was wrong with your touchpad? Were you not able to run the Uninstaller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

wow, they can keep it if that's the case

loopymum wrote: »
    Crikey:eek: They certainly know how to charge!

What was wrong with your touchpad? Were you not able to run the Uninstaller?

I've two both ran out of charge and can't get them going again. Have tried everything bar Touchstone so might have to buy one of them. Reluctant to put any more money into them though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Regarding the charging issues, I had similar problems after I installed CM9 the first time. Android was set to the default boot option so if the battery was dead and I plugged it in it would flash the red battery symbol for a while then try to boot.. went into Android, never started charging and rebooted again. Seems there was some charging issue with the way I had installed CM9 over CM7. For me Android would never charge the dead battery and I had to get it into WebOS. It would sit on the charger for about 10 minutes building up enough charge to boot and I would have to wait and quickly change to WebOS at the moboot screen. It would then charge properly!

Just a note too, the included micro-usb cable is terrible quality. Use a different cable and try to get into WebOS if your touchpad is getting to moboot for a few seconds. Also make sure the barrell of your charger is twisted on tightly. On another note, it wouldn't surprise me if the actual chargers were failing too.. Mine is constantly making a whining noise when not plugged in to the tablet suggesting some bad capacitors.

Redisle wrote: »
    Regarding the charging issues, I had similar problems after I installed CM9 the first time. Android was set to the default boot option so if the battery was dead and I plugged it in it would flash the red battery symbol for a while then try to boot.. went into Android, never started charging and rebooted again. Seems there was some charging issue with the way I had installed CM9 over CM7. For me Android would never charge the dead battery and I had to get it into WebOS. It would sit on the charger for about 10 minutes building up enough charge to boot and I would have to wait and quickly change to WebOS at the moboot screen. It would then charge properly!

Just a note too, the included micro-usb cable is terrible quality. Use a different cable and try to get into WebOS if your touchpad is getting to moboot for a few seconds. Also make sure the barrell of your charger is twisted on tightly. On another note, it wouldn't surprise me if the actual chargers were failing too.. Mine is constantly making a whining noise when not plugged in to the tablet suggesting some bad capacitors.

Thanks
    Unfortunately I can't get it to boot for a second, just have flashing white lights on the home button. Tried multiple chargers USBs, plugging into PC no joy with anything.

ShaneU wrote: »

wow, they can keep it if that's the case
    That is basically just to reinstall the software. I'm no expert but surely running a diagnostic which they have donewould be as time consuming a a reinstall. They are just pricing people out of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Lads,

I now have a dead CM9 TP. Previously if the battery ran down I could leave it plugged in or on the Touchstone overnight and it would generally go through a phase of the home button flashing white, the red battery symbol on the screen and when the battery was charged to the minimum it would fire up into CM9 itself.

One of the kids must have incorrectly placed the TP on the touchstone a few days ago and when I went to use it I noticed it was stone dead. I left it plugged into the USB charger overnight without success and tried the same on the touchstone the following day but no joy.

I've also tried all the power+vol_up+home button options that I can think of without success. It is 100% dead, not even a flashing home button when plugged in. Same goes for when I connect it directly to a laptop. Dead dead dead!!

Any suggestions on how I can give the kiss of life to it this time???

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Just was looking at the case on my Touchpad earlier today and noticed for the first time that it was completely split beside the left hand speaker.

Was going to super glue it but on the off chance I decided to try contacting HP support.

Turns out that there is still 3 days left on my guarantee, so they are going to fix it.

Just had to email off some photos of the crack and now waiting for them to come back to me.

The Touchpad is one of the 32Gb models from Fnac, might be an idea for anyone else who got them around this time last year to check for cracks as you may still be in guarantee.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

dario28 wrote: »
    Been on charge for 5 days still nothing......any other ideas ?

Is there anywhere that can jump start it , Ive read if ya get some sort of hobby shop type battery charger that can do it if ya take the back off , I wouldnt mind paying a few quid as I need it for the weekend for the baby on holidays

Brought mine to work today and plugged it into PC with a htc micro-usb

Charged straight away , turns out my cable that came with the touchpad isnt working

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Hi guys saw this link few pages back

http://liliputing.com/2012/01/how-to-install-android-4-0-on-the-hp-touchpad-cyanogenmod-9-alpha.html

Is it still the most up to date one?

Guys any suggestions on how to revive a 'properly' fcuked TP? No flashing home buttom, no red charging battery icon, nothing. It's been fully discharged before but always came back to life by leaving it plugged into the USB charger over night or sitting on the touch stone charger all day but this time it's dead dead dead. No amount of power+vol_up+home or power+vul_doen+home combinations will fire it up and it isn't recognised when connected directly to my laptop. It's like its totally bricked!!

I'd take some comfort if the home button would even flash but there is no sign of life whatsoever.

Any ideas guys? I've read and re read this thread and XDA for solutions over the last 2 days but still no joy.

Ben

Ben

Have you checked if your charger is working correctly? Try and see if it will charge something else?

Ben

Have you checked if your charger is working correctly? Try and see if it will charge something else?

Hi loopy,

As it happens my original USB charging cable got mangled by one of the kids so I can only charge it via the touch stone or a Blackberry USB charger which is rated the same as the original TP USB charger i.e. 2A?

Maybe this is the problem but I can't seem to find an original HP USB charging cable on Amazon or eBay to replace it. There are lot's of cheap knock off's but no genuine HP's that I can see.

:(

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Ben

Hi loopy,

As it happens my original USB charging cable got mangled by one of the kids so I can only charge it via the touch stone or a Blackberry USB charger which is rated the same as the original TP USB charger i.e. 2A?

Maybe this is the problem but I can't seem to find an original HP USB charging cable on Amazon or eBay to replace it. There are lot's of cheap knock off's but no genuine HP's that I can see.

:(

Ben
    If it's in warranty and you have Android installed don't send it back to HP. I did they said it's a hardware issue that they can fix but because Android is installed the warranty is voided so it will cost £318 to repair. I'm going to try fight them but am not hopeful

I think I'm goosed Trinnersboy. I'm not in warranty so won't be shipping it to HP.

My only hope is to find a genuine HP USB cable somewhere.

Ben

I think I'm goosed Trinnersboy. I'm not in warranty so won't be shipping it to HP.

Ben

You can buy the HP international travel kit on Amazon.co.uk which includes a USB cable.

Not sure if the cheaper options will deliver here or you may need to use Parcel Motel.

Replacement battery packs are also available on eBay if you fancy tearing your Touchpad down and replacing the battery pack.

If you google for them there should be various tear down walk throughs available which should help if you decide to replace the battery.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Whereabouts are you Ben? Perhaps you could try a boardsies charger to see if it works first?

Pm me, I would be happy to let you try out mine, I am in the sticks though.

I have seen some quite good tutorials on taking the tp apart too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'm working in D4, if that's suits. You could drop it off and leave it charging in my office over night, if that's any good. Before you open it up!

Do-More, I couldn't see a USB cable specified in the description or in any of the pictures for the international charging kit so I didn't think that would do the trick but I've just ordered it off Amazon so fingers crossed it'll do the job.

Loopymum and The Mulk, thanks for the offer to charge via your own USB's. If the charing kit doesn't come with a USB cable I might have to take you up on that, particularly you The Mulk as you're just in the road from me. I'm in Stillorgan.

Enjoy the weekend all.

I'll be sans TP for a few days but c'est la vie.

Ben

Do-More, I couldn't see a USB cable specified in the description or in any of the pictures for the international charging kit so I didn't think that would do the trick but I've just ordered it off Amazon so fingers crossed it'll do the job.

The product description states:
    Product Description
    Charge your HP TouchPad anywhere in the world with this sleek, compact charger with removable plugs for EU/UK/US/AUS and a removable 5 ft. micro USB cable.

So hopefully you should be safe enough, certainly grounds for complaint if it isn't included.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

I think this is an OEM charger so should do the job

Thnaks Pele, if the charger I ordered from Amazon doesn't contain a USB cable I'll get this one.

Cheers,

Ben

Thnaks Pele, if the charger I ordered from Amazon doesn't contain a USB cable I'll get this one.

Cheers,

Ben

That's the same company Luzern Tech who are selling the International charger on Amazon market place for £5.99 & delivery and charging €19.99 for it on their own website, it pays to shop around!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Do-more wrote: »
    That's the same company Luzern Tech who are selling the International charger on Amazon market place for £5.99 & delivery and charging €19.99 for it on their own website, it pays to shop around!

Yikes, that's a hefty markup alright.

Ben

Let me know how you get on with that charger, I might have to buy the same one. Mine has been plugged in for 4 days and not a light in sight. Haven't heard back from HP yet.

• Advertisement

Let me know how you get on with that charger, I might have to buy the same one. Mine has been plugged in for 4 days and not a light in sight. Haven't heard back from HP yet.

I'm in the same boat. My TP has been plugged into a standard micro USB wall charger for 4-5 days and not a budge. All my hopes are being pinned on the arrival of the replacement 2A USB cable!!

I'll let you know the result.

Ben

Advertisement