Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

A little help needed!

I downloaded the Kindle app last night and a few free books, all working fine.

I have a few books(kindle ready) on a memory stick. Do I need to use the Kindle import app to bring theses across from my pc, or can i drag and drop to a specific folder.
    I've tried to install the kindle import app, but it keeps freezing when i go to update any books that are on the touchpad.

Edit: I'm still on WebOS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

The Mulk wrote: »
    A little help needed!

I downloaded the Kindle app last night and a few free books, all working fine.

I have a few books(kindle ready) on a memory stick. Do I need to use the Kindle import app to bring theses across from my pc, or can i drag and drop to a specific folder.
    I've tried to install the kindle import app, but it keeps freezing when i go to update any books that are on the touchpad.

Edit: I'm still on WebOS

For Android ICS, you just have to copy the files to the Kindle directory. Do not put new directories into the kindle folder because files within the directory will not be picked up by the kindle app.

Also, make sure that the files are the correct format. I think the Android kindle app does not read .epub format so maybe WebOS might also require a specific ebook format

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. I can't remember what format they're in but usually I can just copy them directly onto a kindle via usb/laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Any joy on the usb lead and getting your TP back to life BenThere?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Do-more wrote: »
    Any joy on the usb lead and getting your TP back to life BenThere?

Got the replacement charger this morning. Plugged it in and there wasn't a budge out of the TP. I had hoped for a minimum of a flashing home button to indicate that at least some juice was getting through but nothing. I'll leave it plugged in overnight hoping it will eventually power up enough to start flashing the home button and then progress to the red battery icon on the screen and then eventually to a power up when the battery level gets to accepted minimum but I'm not that hopeful.

I'll update tomorrow.

If the TP won't charge when it's plugged into the official charger is it 100% goosed? If so I'll be very disappointed.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I had a very similar problem to yours ben. Flashing light on home button, not turning on etc. In the end I left it plugged in for a day and then pressed a combination of power volume up or power home button. Then the usb icon came on and stayed on for about half a day. I left it plugged in for another day or so and it eventually turned on by itself?!?!

I have android on it as well.

All hope may not be lost just yet :)

EDIT: The plug is the hp one, but the cable is from a sony x10.

Cheers Missingtime, I'll certainly spend an hour or two trying the various button combo's before giving up on it.

Fingers crossed it'll come back to life. I find it very handy for checking email and web browsing + the kids love it for watching movies in the car, playing games etc. A comparable replacement would probably be €200 and I just know if I went back inot th emarket for a new notepad I'd end up spending €500 on the latest Samsung or Motorola :eek:

Ben

My TP is still goosed. It's been plugged in for over a week (was away for the weekend without my TP!!) and tried loads of button combo's last night without any joy.

Looks like it's totally bricked. Very sad :(

Ben

Ahhh crap. At this point i'd bet its the cable you are using. Mine died over the weekend but once i plugged in the sony usb cable it started charging fine.

See if you can get your hands on a sony usb cable; one that works with an x10 phone. I have to get one soon as the one i have seems fecked; I have to wrap it around the touchpad for the charge to run through.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Trinnersboy

BenThere wrote: »
    My TP is still goosed. It's been plugged in for over a week (was away for the weekend without my TP!!) and tried loads of button combo's last night without any joy.

Ben
    Annoying have you tried the Touch Stone, that's the only thing I haven't tried yet as I haven't got one. Don't really want to waste €50 buying one either

• Advertisement

The Touchstone was the first thing I tried. It worked in the past when the TP had fully discharged but not this time :(

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Ben

Ben I need a screen for one of my TPs. Would you sell me your broken TP? Screen is OK on it right?

lafors wrote: »

Ben

Ben I need a screen for one of my TPs. Would you sell me your broken TP? Screen is OK on it right?

Ben don't suppose u would sell me the Touch Stone

Christ lads, let him grieve!

Good, good news. After refusing the £218 quoted repair quote I got for my dead Touchpad, I got it sent back for £30. Guess what - I turned it on and it works, battery 90% full. They wouldn't repair it in warranty because Android was installed on it so presumably they had to kick start it to find out that Android was on it.
    So if anyone has a dead TP I recommend you give this a try. The most it will cost you is the return postage. I've another TP with the same problem I'm going to try with that one too. Any questions PM me

Christ lads, let him grieve!

Too bloody right missingtime. You lads are like a flock of Vultures circling a corpse!!! Don't blame you too much though :p

It'll tell you what, Lafors, instead of me breaking up my nice TP set up, why don't you sell me your battery pack??? ;)

I'll have to be pretty cheap though because apparently for €30 I can get HP to jump start it and send it back to me. Happy Days :D

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Too bloody right missingtime. You lads are like a flock of Vultures circling a corpse!!! Don't blame you too much though :p

It'll tell you what, Lafors, instead of me breaking up my nice TP set up, why don't you sell me your battery pack??? ;)

I'll have to be pretty cheap though because apparently for €30 I can get HP to jump start it and send it back to me. Happy Days :D

Ben

Ben, i was looking for a tear down for screen replacement and found on ifixit.com that some guy put up a question on the battery pack and found you can buy the official hp one from ebay. He put a link up to the seller, 29.99 plus shipping i think he said. Might be worth your while getting that.
    Don't worry I'll find a replacement screen for my one sooner rather than later. My nexus 7 is filling the gap nicely at the moment :)

I posted a link to the replacement battery pack on Ebay 2 pages back, here it is again.

But going by Trinnersboy's experience your battery is probably OK. I'd imagine if you tore down the TP and were able to connect a charger directly to the battery poles you would get to charge it OK.

Don't give up on it yet.

invest4deepvalue.com

I posted a link to the replacement battery pack on Ebay 2 pages back, here it is again.

But going by Trinnersboy's experience your battery is probably OK. I'd imagine if you tore down the TP and were able to connect a charger directly to the battery poles you would get to charge it OK.

Don't give up on it yet.
    I tried the teardown on another TP, I broke all the clips and it doesn't go back together very well afterwards. I'm useless at that kind of stuff though

Guy's I'm looking for some guidance on what to do next. So far I've tried the following:-

1. Charging on the Touchstone for a few days. No flashing home button, no red battery icon on the screen and no sign of life.
    2. Charging with the official HP mains charger for a few days. No flashing home button, no red battery icon on the screen and no sign of life.
    3. Tried all the power + volume up + home button options i.e. power button on it's own, home button on its own, power + home button, power + volume down + home etc etc without any joy whatsoever.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to jump start the thing? If HP can jump start a TP in order to determine it's got android on it and then charge you €30 to send it back how do they actually do that???

Ben

• Advertisement

Guy's I'm looking for some guidance on what to do next. So far I've tried the following:-

1. Charging on the Touchstone for a few days. No flashing home button, no red battery icon on the screen and no sign of life.
    2. Charging with the official HP mains charger for a few days. No flashing home button, no red battery icon on the screen and no sign of life.
    3. Tried all the power + volume up + home button options i.e. power button on it's own, home button on its own, power + home button, power + volume down + home etc etc without any joy whatsoever.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to jump start the thing? If HP can jump start a TP in order to determine it's got android on it and then charge you €30 to send it back how do they actually do that???

Ben

Are you still using the cable that came with it? I've found that if its dead, it wont charge without that cable.

I've been using a sony x10 cable with the official main charger and its the only cable that seems to work when its fully dead; you will probably get one here http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=sony+x10+usb+cable

I've tried a ton of other usb cables with no joy so there must be something with them.

When mine died, and was dead for about a week, I left it plugged in with the sony cable. The home button started flashing intermittently. One day I pressed the power button and the volume up button and held it for about a minute and it seemed to come back to life.

Your issue seems very similar to mine, albeit I had a flashing home button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Are you still using the cable that came with it? I've found that if its dead, it wont charge without that cable.

I've been using a sony x10 cable with the official main charger and its the only cable that seems to work when its fully dead; you will probably get one here http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=sony+x10+usb+cable

I've tried a ton of other usb cables with no joy so there must be something with them.

When mine died, and was dead for about a week, I left it plugged in with the sony cable. The home button started flashing intermittently. One day I pressed the power button and the volume up button and held it for about a minute and it seemed to come back to life.

Your issue seems very similar to mine, albeit I had a flashing home button.

This seems to work for a lot of people. It seems a slow trickle from a standard micro-usb actually manages to charge it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've fixed my dead battery issues with the touchpad but putting on the latest CM9 nightlies ROMS and holding down the power and home button for 15 seconds. I also changed my usb cable as it was a little loose.

I've no more issues with dead battery not charging.

In retrospect, I think the Home key and Power key together for 15 seconds seemed to make a difference.

I've fixed my dead battery issues with the touchpad but putting on the latest CM9 nightlies ROMS and holding down the power and home button for 15 seconds. I also changed my usb cable as it was a little loose.

In retrospect, I think the Home key and Power key together for 15 seconds seemed to make a difference.

Is it easy to install the nightlys if you have cm9 already installed?

How did you flash CM9 if the TP was dead??? When I connect mine to my laptop the laptop doesn't see it at all.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

What do you replace your USB cable with?
    It's not a standard micro USB connector is it?

Mine is very contrary of late. It's very hard to get a charge into it. I need to plug in the cable a heap of times before it will show as charging. The electrical end of the charger seems fine, anything else I plug into it starts charging straight away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it easy to install the nightlys if you have cm9 already installed?
    Yes, if you installed Clockwordmod when you put CM9 on then it's very easy. Just download the latest nightly .zip file to the touchpad, you probably already have a cminstall folder to put it in.

Reboot to Clockworkmod Recovery, and choose to flash from a zip file, then browse to the zip file you downloaded. Most people also suggest that while you're in CWM you should clear the cache and the dalvik cache. The just reboot and it's up and running.

It finally happened to me.. The dreaded dead Touchpad.

I pressed the power button down for ages and nothing.. Then I tried power and the home key combination for 30 seconds.. still nothing.

You hear about it happening to other people, but you think it wont happen to you :)

Fortunately I found out online that if you hold the power and home key for about 2 minutes a message will come up saying to release the keys and you have a working Touchpad again. Thankfully that worked for me!

Sorry if that solution for a dead touchpad has been posted before. It was a new one for me

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    It finally happened to me.. The dreaded dead Touchpad.

I pressed the power button down for ages and nothing.. Then I tried power and the home key combination for 30 seconds.. still nothing.

You hear about it happening to other people, but you think it wont happen to you :)

Fortunately I found out online that if you hold the power and home key for about 2 minutes a message will come up saying to release the keys and you have a working Touchpad again. Thankfully that worked for me!

Sorry if that solution for a dead touchpad has been posted before. It was a new one for me

It sounded like a wind up saying you had to hold the buttons for 2 minutes, but I googled it and there are quite a few references on the net to this working.

I also found this advise which might be helpful to anyone running android on the touchpad.
    If/when you get your Touchpad working again install an app called Llama as you can have that turn off your Touchpad when the battery reaches any level you want, I have an alarm at 20% and shutdown at 10% .

I got my TP back from HP with a new case on it last week. Now that it is out of warranty I might finally stick android on it, is CM10 stable or am I better going for CM9?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

If/when you get your Touchpad working again install an app called Llama as you can have that turn off your Touchpad when the battery reaches any level you want, I have an alarm at 20% and shutdown at 10%.

Thanks. I was looking for an app like that.

Advertisement