Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    Fortunately I found out online that if you hold the power and home key for about 2 minutes a message will come up saying to release the keys and you have a working Touchpad again. Thankfully that worked for me!

You've no idea how anxious I am to get home and try this!!!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

BenThere wrote: »
    You've no idea how anxious I am to get home and try this!!!!

Ben

Any luck Ben???

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,
    Got the dreaded question mark of death today. Warranty is out by one month.
    Have tried all the usual but no good.
    Just read the post about holding power and home buttons for two minutes but all i got was black screen and then battery question mark flashing up every ten seconds.
    Any more ideas. Very suspicious that this problem is becoming more frequent .
    surely HP would do something to help!
    Thanks
    pAJOE

keredern wrote: »
    Any luck Ben???

No :( I tried the 2 minute power+home trick several times until my fingers were getting numb but no joy.

I'm going to leave the TP unplugged for a couple of weeks to see if whatever remaining charge is in it will trickle out in the hope that a fresh shot of power from a 100% dead state might just jump start it but I know I'm really scratching the bottom of the barrel now.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I've seen another one you may not have tried,

"Step 1: Even though your TP may be off, and may appear to be dead, you have to make sure that it really is off. Press and hold the Power Button and tap the Home-Center Button (the one at the bottom of the screen) 20 times. Really, the first 15 presses should perform some kind of emergency power-off, but do the 20 presses, just to make sure. You won't be able to see any difference, but now even the TP will know for sure that it's turned off.

Step 2: Plug the TP's USB cable into the micro USB connector on the bottom of the TP, and connect the other end of the cable into a USB port on the back of your desktop PC. The reason I say plug it into the back of the PC is that some PCs don't provide the same voltage to extra USB ports on their front panel. The same could be true of a laptop.

Step 3: Make sure that your computer's speakers are turned up enough for you to hear whatever chime your system sounds whenever you connect a USB device.

Step 4: I'm not sure about this key combination, but it's one of the two and you'll know you've succeeded when you hear your PC chime: Press and hold both the Power Button and the Volume Up Button for 60 seconds (or until you hear the chime). If you haven't heard the chime after 60 seconds, repeat Step 1 and then try holding a three-button combination of the Power/Volume Up/Home-Center buttons for 60 seconds (or until you hear the chime). Your PC may discover a new device and try to install drivers; if so, do what you can to install them, and don't panic if you can't.

Step 5: If you heard the PC chime at any point in Step 4, you might be able to confirm that your PC has knowledge of a Palm Device on a USB Port by going into Device Manager on your PC (right click on My Computer and select Properties, then Device Manager). You should see the Palm device listed under LPT or Serial Ports, or maybe under USB. If you don't, proceed to Step 5a:

Step 5a: If you have not been successful in hearing the PC's USB-connected chime and you can't find a Palm device listed anywhere in Device Manager, repeat Step 1 to make sure the TP is turned off. Then repeat Step 4, but use the Volume Down Button in the place of the Volume Up Button. The combo of Power/Volume Up or Power/Volume Up/Center-Home buttons should get the TP recognized as a Palm Device, while the combo of Power/Volume Up or Power/Volume Up/Center-Home buttons should get the TP recognized as qhsusb_dload. I'm pretty sure this mode is for a low-level boot-loader (that you hopefully won't need). The qhsusb_dload mode will try to install drivers (which can be found on the Web).

Step 6: No matter what level of success you achieved in Steps 4 and 5, allow the TP to sit and hopefully charge a bit from your PC for a while. If you check back after 30+ minutes and the TP's back feels slightly warm, you're in a good place.

Step 7: Plug your TP into the wall charger and leave it. If it hasn't come back to life within an hour, check to see if it is warm. If it's stone cold, I'm sorry. You might have better success at the above procedure a second time through."

Taken from Webos nation forum. I don't know whether ICS was on it though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Hi,
    Got the dreaded question mark of death today. Warranty is out by one month.
    Have tried all the usual but no good.
    Just read the post about holding power and home buttons for two minutes but all i got was black screen and then battery question mark flashing up every ten seconds.
    Any more ideas. Very suspicious that this problem is becoming more frequent .
    surely HP would do something to help!
    Thanks
    pAJOE

That might indicate a problem with the charger. If you look at the plug on the charger, it twists apart into two pieces, and sometimes the contacts separate a bit. Try twisting it apart, then twisting it back together again good and tight, the plug the touchpad into charge for an hour or two and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Mulk, I'll try that at the weekend.

Ben

Mulk,

It didn't work :( Tried all the combo's and left it plugged into the usb port but no warm back or any sign of life.

Running out of ideas here.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Missus has never used the USB charger from day 1. Touchstone is doing the job fine but having seen your issues I have forewarned her to stick the unit back on the touchstone before it locks out.
    BTW she started using this from Xmas last year so hope it don't pan out one year later!

Mulk,

It didn't work :( Tried all the combo's and left it plugged into the usb port but no warm back or any sign of life.

Running out of ideas here.

Ben

No way, bad luck. You may need to open it up now.

Good luck. Is it a brand new cable you used.My cable failed after about 6 months, but would still charge my phone funny enough

• Advertisement

I'm looking for a Touchstone, if anyone can point me in the right direction.
    Amazon seems to be sold out and they're quite dear on ebay.
    For the people that have them, what would you consider a fair price to pay, if i go down the ebay route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Ballyv24 wrote: »

Thanks, well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Haven't updated Android on my TP for a while now but liking Jellybean on my Galaxy S3.

Is there a CMod release for 4.1 yet and has anyone installed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Haven't updated Android on my TP for a while now but liking Jellybean on my Galaxy S3.

Is there a CMod release for 4.1 yet and has anyone installed it?

There's an unofficial preview of CM10 available, but a lot things not working, like you I have the TP and the S3, Omega rom on the s3, and latest CM9 nightlies on the TP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

I started having issues charging my Touchpad a couple of days ago, I noticed the original micro-USB cable seemed a bit loose in the Touchpad and wouldn't always charge it but if I held in a particular spot it would start charging.

To get around this I tried a different cable in the original plug and when I plugged it in I got a message on the screen telling me to use the original charger. The charge level was at about 2%, close enough to being dead but with enough charge to display the message on the screen.

It looks to me that the original Touchpad cable is not your standard Micro-USB cable and the Touchpad can tell when a different cable is being used. The result of this is that a different cable even when used with the original plug will not charge the Touchpad once it goes completely dead.

I think a combination of a poor quality cable supplied with the Touchpad and the fact that using a different cable won't charge the Touchpad when it's completely flat is causing so many of you problems with charging your Touchpads.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Did you try a Nokia cable?

My son had a problem with the original cable ages ago and I had a few Nokia cables. Tried it and it works a treat.

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Im selling my Touchpad - If anyone is interested PM me or I'll throw an ad on adverts.ie in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I decided to give the beta android version of XBMC a try on my Touchpad last night. Every thing appears to be working fine. The Touchpad streams movies and music from my NAS perfectly. Well worth giving it a try!

FWIW I'm running the latest Nightly build of CM9 complete with the camera fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Nforce wrote: »
    I decided to give the beta android version of XBMC a try on my Touchpad last night. Every thing appears to be working fine. The Touchpad streams movies and music from my NAS perfectly. Well worth giving it a try!

FWIW I'm running the latest Nightly build of CM9 complete with the camera fix.

Whats the camera fix?
    I running a nightly build from last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Have to be honest and say I'm typically just using my touchpad as an Internet Radio! It's sitting ont he touchstone in the kitchen hooked up to a sound system, does that job pretty well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Nforce wrote: »

Cheers NForce....Installed this on my touchpad this morning and works great...have everything working now that I could need...

Also XBMC is great for anyone who hasnt seen the beta release yet

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056822790

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

I updated Google Apps to gapps-ics-facelock-20120131-signed.zip yesterday and now have Facelock working on my Touchpad. It's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hi, just had a very lucky escape with my touchpad, I put aotk or something on doing a nightly recently, not realising till after I did it that it was a different os to cm9, it was a bit glitchy to I decided to flash cm9 again and the bloody thing stalled.
    It then got worse and worse as I was able to go to twrp and I had an old file saved and I tried to restore that, disaster! got the dreaded triangle with go to palm, roms.

Well I finally got it working today after running various webos doctors and the finally one worked on the 5th time running the same one, I thought it was goosed completely at one stage when it wouldn't turn on at all and when I connected to pc it was just giving the qualcomm name.
    After much swearing and plugging it out and in and holding numerous combinations it finally came back to the triangle screen and the webos worked.

It's running webos 3.0.0 now and I just looked on the hard drive and it has android folders

Do you think I should run Acmeuninstaller now before trying to put on android again?

No :( I tried the 2 minute power+home trick several times until my fingers were getting numb but no joy.

I'm going to leave the TP unplugged for a couple of weeks to see if whatever remaining charge is in it will trickle out in the hope that a fresh shot of power from a 100% dead state might just jump start it but I know I'm really scratching the bottom of the barrel now.

Ben

So, I left the TP unplugged for two months to completely drain and plugged it back in to the original charger 10 minutes ago and BINGO the home button light started flashing left and right. Now it has just popped up the low battery icon on the screen and fingers crossed with another hour or two of charging it will fire up and my wonderful TP will be back where it belongs, on it's touchstone in the living room within reach of all the family for checking emails, looking at websites, playing games and watching movies :D

Now, where is the link to that app which auto shuts down the TP when the battery gets to a pre determined point????

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

So, I left the TP unplugged for two months to completely drain and plugged it back in to the original charger 10 minutes ago and BINGO the home button light started flashing left and right. Now it has just popped up the low battery icon on the screen and fingers crossed with another hour or two of charging it will fire up and my wonderful TP will be back where it belongs, on it's touchstone in the living room within reach of all the family for checking emails, looking at websites, playing games and watching movies :D

Now, where is the link to that app which auto shuts down the TP when the battery gets to a pre determined point????

Ben

Thats brilliant, fingers crossed. Sounds like it will turn on though

Yep, fired up like nothing ever happened!

Llama loaded and set to shutdown automatically once the battery gets to 9%.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

It's great to have it back :-)

Ben

Congrats Ben,

I sent you a PM there let me know if you get it,

my PC/Wifi is acting up

Cheers,

• Advertisement

Have to say, the llama app is the business. It's easy to use and works! If you're worried about your TP battery running down and not being able to fire it up again (as recently happened to me and took me 3 months to fix!!) you should definitely install this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5rZWJhYi5MbGFtYSJd

Ben

Advertisement