Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

It's not learning off drugs, it's studying patients and the science of drugs.

Except in some modules where it is actually just learning off drugs...

In 3010 you'll learn off those drugs with a Spanish accent. 09 will be a Brazilian-Monaghan hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

In 3010 you'll learn off those drugs with a Spanish accent. 09 will be a Brazilian-Monaghan hybrid.

And 03 will be a Brazilian Mayo accent.
    3011 will just be you crying as you write down frankishs useless notes.
    Tip:Frankish outs his 40 pages of lectures on blackboard.
    Download them the first day of lectures and instead of going to Frankish head to the library and summarise them.
    Don't focus in the important stuff just the silly random stuff!:D

Hi guys this is probably very unimportant but I seemed to have lost my USB stick and I'm pretty sure it is in college as there's no sign of it at home (even had the mammy look and there's no hope). Is there a lost/found in the Hamilton or what should I do to try get it back?
    It had some stuff on it I would like to keep...

Hi guys this is probably very unimportant but I seemed to have lost my USB stick and I'm pretty sure it is in college as there's no sign of it at home (even had the mammy look and there's no hope). Is there a lost/found in the Hamilton or what should I do to try get it back?
    It had some stuff on it I would like to keep...

Security get handed in a few every now and again. Go to them and ask (one on first floor and one on ground floor at the entrance to the panoz)
    Also get onto Betty in the office and she'll send around an email.
    Have you checked all of the computer rooms and the library?

Scortho wrote: »
    Security get handed in a few every now and again. Go to them and ask (one on first floor and one on ground floor at the entrance to the panoz)
    Also get onto Betty in the office and she'll send around an email.
    Have you checked all of the computer rooms and the library?

Was going to do that tomorrow as I only just realised it was missing today :)
    I didn't even think of emailing Betty! :o

• Advertisement

Was going to do that tomorrow as I only just realised it was missing today :)
    I didn't even think of emailing Betty! :o

She's great for anything that gets lost.

Whenever I find a memory stick, I plug it in find a user name etc or a word doc with there course, then try make contact.
    Total invasion of privacy, but hey I'd much rather have my memory stick back back with important stuff on it, than it lost forever.

Also might be worth checking the noticeboard email that gets sent around.
    And in future, anything important , be sure to back it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Dropbox!!!

USB sticks, pfft, you may as well be using rewritable CDs. Get with the times kids, the cloud's where it's at :p

Oh and I dunno if he still does it but one of the physiology lecturers gave us the bright idea of using your phone number as a name for your USB stick. Not a half bad idea, easier than expecting people to root through your files looking for a name (most people probably wouldn't even bother/know how to find the author name on docs)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Hmm as well as all the above check the little shelves that are on the side of the computer rooms. Some people will leave them there if they find them... and of course some people will delete all the files and steal your memory stick :rolleyes: I use Google Drive myself and find it pretty good!

I got my memory stick back btw! :D
    On an unrelated note; how useless is Biochemistry? :P don't understand a word that comes out of their mouths! Thank fúck for MCQs

I got my memory stick back btw! :D
    On an unrelated note; how useless is Biochemistry? :P don't understand a word that comes out of their mouths! Thank fúck for MCQs

It's about as useful as tits on a bull.
    Well the simplicity of the exam shows that.
    You'll wonder why you spent the first two months panicking over biochemistry when you finish that exam in May.

• Advertisement

It's about as useful as tits on a bull.
    Well the simplicity of the exam shows that.
    You'll wonder why you spent the first two months panicking over biochemistry when you finish that exam in May.

Someone in my year is repeating and told me not to worry about it.. And loads of others said it at the wine reception too which just makes me feel better that I'm not taking down notes :P:P

Apparently someoneactually brought in Stryer's biochemistry to one of the lectures :D

Good God... i've no idea where to begin with how pointless that is.

Apparently someoneactually brought in Stryer's biochemistry to one of the lectures :D

Good God... i've no idea where to begin with how pointless that is.

Could have been worse they could have bought one.
    The amount off unopened biochemistry books sitting on shelves of people in my class is rediculous.

Its just so pointless of a module because we have MCQs but Medicine have essays yet they're teaching us the same material for two different types of exam? :confused:

If anyone actually bought Stryer's biochemistry, Chapters on Parnell Street will probably buy it off you
    for around €20 (maybe more if youre lucky).

Get this book instead (http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Notes-Biochemistry-David-Hames/dp/0415608457) and work off the exam papers if theyre there. Lecturers slides are fairly crap tbh.

Its just so pointless of a module because we have MCQs but Medicine have essays yet they're teaching us the same material for two different types of exam? :confused:
    It's not completely pointless. A fair bit of what you learn in biochem will come in handy at some point.

It's not completely pointless. A fair bit of what you learn in biochem will come in handy at some point.

Really?
    Come on now. It's not that biochem is pointless. What we got taught in biochem was pointless as a result of the way it was delivered along with the exam at the end.

I used some of the Biochem in the Biology exam :P It's not too bad to read over Porter and Mok's stuff at least :)

It's not that biochem is pointless. What we got taught in biochem was pointless as a result of the way it was delivered along with the exam at the end.

That's what we all think.. It's not that it's pointless as a subject but they're teaching us concepts at an essay level of depth for us to do an MCQ exam.. :rolleyes:

Hey partyatmygaff I was wondering which 4 questions you'd advise to do for Paper II of schols? I'm leaning towards 2 Pharmacology questions and one from the other modules.

• Advertisement

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Hey partyatmygaff I was wondering which 4 questions you'd advise to do for Paper II of schols? I'm leaning towards 2 Pharmacology questions and one from the other modules.

If it was me I'd make an offer for his schol notes...save a load of time

Sorry I didn't get back to you in that PM, i've been crazy busy the past few days.

Paper II, play to your strengths. Do two questions from the discipline you're most interested in. For me, it was pharmaceutics.

All three papers papers are marked to a very high standard so don't go with any question that you don't feel completely comfortable with. Practice of Pharmacy is, for most people, the hardest to do well in in schols. It's relatively speaking easy to get 60%+ but getting over 70% really requires exceptional work.

For study, for Paper I and Paper II you need to study them as you would for the annual exam with a reasonable amount of extra reading to make your answers stand out. For Paper III, read the papers over and over again and then summarise them and make annotations using some relevant extra reading. Look for the main topics being discussed and target them for your study and for your extra reading.

I'm actually looking forward starting back to lectures. Sick to ****ing death of the TBSI.

Haha what's the bidding starting at?

Ah no no bother thanks for the advice! I should be getting started into it at this stage I'm guessing? :P Regarding the extra reading which book did you use for pharmaceutics? I started writing up notes yesterday and I've been using Aulton's but I'm finding it goes much more in depth than anything discussed in the lectures (This was regarding Disperse Systems).

Haha what's the bidding starting at?

Ah no no bother thanks for the advice! I should be getting started into it at this stage I'm guessing? :P Regarding the extra reading which book did you use for pharmaceutics? I started writing up notes yesterday and I've been using Aulton's but I'm finding it goes much more in depth than anything discussed in the lectures (This was regarding Disperse Systems).
    One year's scholar's salary is the starting bid :p

Yeah, you should at the very least start making notes on what you've done if not start studying. Truth be told, I did next to nothing until around mid-November (after the schols application deadline). Made me feel constantly uneasy and worried so not something i'd advise you to do.

As for books, most people use Aulton's. To tell you the truth, a textbook isn't the first place i'd think of to do extra reading. I don't think i've ever even seen a copy of Aulton's pharmaceutics. The only time i'd ever use a textbook is if I'm looking for something specific (and can't find it elsewhere) or if we've been asked to read it as part of the course. Even then, I always scan and look for important information rather than read whole chapters.

If I need to do extra reading on something I find what I need on the internet. It's way more efficient. For disperse systems, Tajber's notes in combination with what you learn during the practicals is a pretty good starting point. Attwood/Florence's Physicochemical Principles of Pharmacy is also pretty good and aside from that, Google is your friend.

I always found aulton to be very basic...of that's schol material I wish I did them....

Ok I'm starting this weekend I swear! It's gonna be a fun two months :P

Ok I'm starting this weekend I swear! It's gonna be a fun two months :P

Just dont do what my friend did. studied like fuk for 2 months and then the nerves got to him and didnt sit....:eek::pac:

Just dont do what my friend did. studied like fuk for 2 months and then the nerves got to him and didnt sit....:eek::pac:

Yeah I have a feeling that could be an issue for me :L I've been doing bits here and there but I reckon to have any realistic chance I'll need to dedicate completely to it!

• Advertisement

Yeah I have a feeling that could be an issue for me :L I've been doing bits here and there but I reckon to have any realistic chance I'll need to dedicate completely to it!

from looking at others its really commit really hard or not. It doesnt seem to be a half arsed approach.
    Also compare your end of year 1st year result with what you need to get schools...if theyre both over or very close to a 1st id go for it...

Advertisement