Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Scortho wrote: »
    from looking at others its really commit really hard or not. It doesnt seem to be a half arsed approach.
    Also compare your end of year 1st year result with what you need to get schools...if theyre both over or very close to a 1st id go for it...

I ended up with a first overall last year but there's modules this year I have little to no interest in that have me on the fence (PH2003, PH2004 in a way :P). The advantages are too good to pass up though I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    I ended up with a first overall last year but there's modules this year I have little to no interest in that have me on the fence (PH2003, PH2004 in a way :P). The advantages are too good to pass up though I think!

in that case definitely go for it...your in the partyatmygaff group as opposed to the scortho group:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Hi to all. I have some questions regarding this course and was advised to try here. One of if not my favourite subject is chemistry. How much chemistry is involved in it? Is it all chemistry? I was also wondering about hours and male to female ratio. I have heard bad reports about employment opportunities for pharmacists is this true? I would quite like to work abroad for at least a few years after graduating. Is there jobs available in countries such as Oz NZ US or Canada. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Blue giant wrote: »
    Hi to all. I have some questions regarding this course and was advised to try here. One of if not my favourite subject is chemistry. How much chemistry is involved in it? Is it all chemistry? I was also wondering about hours and male to female ratio. I have heard bad reports about employment opportunities for pharmacists is this true? I would quite like to work abroad for at least a few years after graduating. Is there jobs available in countries such as Oz NZ US or Canada. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Lots of chemistry. Lots and lots of chemistry. Even clinical lectures involve lots of chemistry.
    Think it's around 60-75 % female to 35-30% male.
    Jobs are fine, no shortage of people who need medication.
    Degree is recognised in eu. Further exams needed for us (very tough to find a pharmacist in the states to take you on as an intern if your not American trained.
    Not sure on canada.
    Austrailia I think requires more exams as well.

Just to add with relation to jobs your employable across a wide range of areas including industry (qualified person, sales, marketing, research,) hospital pharmacist, academia, community pharmacist, regulatory and more.

Lots of chemistry. Lots and lots of chemistry. Even clinical lectures involve lots of chemistry.
    Think it's around 60-75 % female to 35-30% male.
    Jobs are fine, no shortage of people who need medication.
    Degree is recognised in eu. Further exams needed for us (very tough to find a pharmacist in the states to take you on as an intern if your not American trained.
    Not sure on canada.
    Austrailia I think requires more exams as well.

Just to add with relation to jobs your employable across a wide range of areas including industry (qualified person, sales, marketing, research,) hospital pharmacist, academia, community pharmacist, regulatory and more.

Thanks for replying. I would prefer to go into community pharmacy because I'd like the daily interaction with people. I just have two more questions:-) how much money does a pharmacist get paid at first and then when you're experienced. Also is it common for pharmacists to start up their own pharmacy? Thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks for replying. I would prefer to go into community pharmacy because I'd like the daily interaction with people. I just have two more questions:-) how much money does a pharmacist get paid at first and then when you're experienced. Also is it common for pharmacists to start up their own pharmacy? Thanks again

If you're going into this for the money, then no don't do the course. You won't last.
    I've heard various wages reported but around 35k starting off going up to 65k -80 k for a supervising pharmacist.

Out of my year (4th year) I'm the only one who definitely wants to own their own pharmacy. Most in fact don't want to work as pharmacists. I'd know more pharmacists who don't want to own their own, than do. But it's easier for a pharmacist to open a pharmacy than someone who isn't to open a pharmacy.

If you're going into this for the money, then no don't do the course. You won't last.
    I've heard various wages reported but around 35k starting off going up to 65k -80 k for a supervising pharmacist.

Out of my year (4th year) I'm the only one who definitely wants to own their own pharmacy. Most in fact don't want to work as pharmacists. I'd know more pharmacists who don't want to own their own, than do. But it's easier for a pharmacist to open a pharmacy than someone who isn't to open a pharmacy.

I wouldn't go into any course just for the money but it is reassuring to know you would have a sufficient income in the future.

Regarding people not wanting to open their own pharmacies is it just a case of not willing to take a risk or does it just not make sense? I've also heard that a lot of big chains will come in making it near impossible to open on your own. Is this true or is it just talk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

I wouldn't go into any course just for the money but it is reassuring to know you would have a sufficient income in the future.

Regarding people not wanting to open their own pharmacies is it just a case of not willing to take a risk or does it just not make sense? I've also heard that a lot of big chains will come in making it near impossible to open on your own. Is this true or is it just talk?
    for me it would be to much time consuming i mean opening and supervising your own pharmacy and then taking full care of it would rob alot of time that could deprive you of improving your skill as a pharmacist as you become more bussiness inclined and also reduces your chances of going into other branches of pharmacy like hospital and industry due to the commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ahmdoda wrote: »
    for me it would be to much time consuming i mean opening and supervising your own pharmacy and then taking full care of it would rob alot of time that could deprive you of improving your skill as a pharmacist as you become more bussiness inclined and also reduces your chances of going into other branches of pharmacy like hospital and industry due to the commitment
    Most pharmacy owners who practice in their own pharmacy don't seem any less skilled. It's not just pharmacy owners who have to keep their mind split between patient care and business, all community pharmacists have to no matter where they work. If the business isn't successful there won't be any patient care so there's always going to be business involved.

As for going in to industry or hospital, there are plenty of people in industry/hospital/academia who also own pharmacies and do just fine.

Running a successful pharmacy is difficult, especially if you're up against competitors like Boots, Lloyds or any of the other big chains. Like any other business, it all comes down to your location and the service you provide compared to your competitors.

Most don't want to or Have no interest in owning their own company
    I want to because I've always been business orientated. I know of a few pharmacies that have opened on their own and have been successful.
    Any business, in order to be successful , has to be capable of reinventing itself. If a pharmacy can't reinvent itself (be innovative) then it will fail in the long run.
    Most of the people I know who don't own or don't want to own believe that the day of owning your own is gone.
    Personally I see that as the best time to start. Likewise the best time to start a successful business is in a recession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Hey, I am doing my leaving cert this year and pharmacy in trinity is of high interest to me, but the thing is I don't do chemistry and regret so. What are the other ways you can get into pharmacy? If I done common entry science or something for a year with sufficent amount of points would i be able to transfer in after a year?
    Thanks

Huell wrote: »
    Hey, I am doing my leaving cert this year and pharmacy in trinity is of high interest to me, but the thing is I don't do chemistry and regret so. What are the other ways you can get into pharmacy? If I done common entry science or something for a year with sufficent amount of points would i be able to transfer in after a year?
    Thanks
    No unfortunately not. The easiest option available is to pick up chemistry now and sit it in august. Failing that you could repeat the year with chemistry.

If you really want to spend 8 years in college, you can also do science and then do graduate entry in to pharmacy. There are no other ways in to the course.

Why are 8 of my "direct contact" hours spent on this stupid BY1101 module...

hahaha todays labs must have been the pointless 3 hours ever spend we spent like 10 mintues preparing these slides at leaving cert level doing the same technique at collage level takes 3 hours lol

hahaha todays labs must have been the pointless 3 hours ever spend we spent like 10 mintues preparing these slides at leaving cert level doing the same technique at collage level takes 3 hours lol

You're in my course... Omg... must find you

Wait until your in 4th year and you'll wonder what has half this stuff got to do with pharmacy!

Wait until your in 4th year and you'll wonder what has half this stuff got to do with pharmacy!

We spent 3 hours today in Biology labs to make 3 microscope slides.
    3 hours.

We spent 3 hours today in Biology labs to make 3 microscope slides.
    3 hours.

Ask partyatmygaff about pharmacognosy labs in second year and parenchyma. :pac:

Let's get down to business... IPSA launch this Saturday :D

Parenchyma, Sclerenchyma, Collenchyma... Plants are just fascinating :P I can't wait for pharmacognosy tomorrow...

On a side note I'm beginning to wonder if schols are even physically possible without sleeping very little :P

Edit: Also, I remember that microscopy lab being after the mystery tour last year... It may well have taken me the full 3 hours :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Parenchyma, Sclerenchyma, Collenchyma... Plants are just fascinating :P I can't wait for pharmacognosy tomorrow...

On a side note I'm beginning to wonder if schols are even physically possible without sleeping very little :P

It gets better next year (not).

In fairness Fabio's stuff is awful. Doesn't get much worse than that.

It gets better next year (not).

In fairness Fabio's stuff is awful. Doesn't get much worse than that.

Yep I wonder will Sasse's be any better :L I've heard people in the year saying they like it but I despise it.

Yep I wonder will Sasse's be any better :L I've heard people in the year saying they like it but I despise it.

Spectroscopy?
    You'd be better off teaching yourself lad!
    Or if you get on well with Walsh ask him for a quick tutorial!

Ask partyatmygaff about pharmacognosy labs in second year and parenchyma. :pac:
    Chloral hydrate + hydrochloric(ky) acid. The recipe to a nice cleared slide so you can see and draw all that incredibly fascinating parenchyma. At least this year's practicals sound good.
    Sleep is for the weak.
    Sasse's 03 material was actually quite nice I think... you won't know how you feel about it until next term because that's where she covers the bulk of her new 03 material.

Chloral hydrate + hydrochloric(ky) acid. The recipe to a nice cleared slide so you can see all the incredibly fascinating parenchyma.

Sleep is for the weak.

Sasse's 03 material was actually quite nice I think... you won't know how you feel about it until next term because that's where she covers the bulk of her new 03 material.

Have you had Walsh yet this year for NMR?
    You'll learn more about NMR in one lecture with him.

can any one here tell me about the pharmacy scholarship exam if anyone around had successfully done it? in term of its difficulty, the amount of work you should put into it and how does the paper differ from the usual summer exam one and finally is it worth all the effort? in term of helping you get a job in the end and making life in collage abit easier ? although im only 1st year am considering to do it next year is

can any one here tell me about the pharmacy scholarship exam if anyone around had successfully done it? in term of its difficulty, the amount of work you should put into it and how does the paper differ from the usual summer exam one and finally is it worth all the effort? in term of helping you get a job in the end and making life in collage abit easier ? although im only 1st year am considering to do it next year is

Talk to partyatmygaff. Or jeaicsomethingorother on here.
    Partyatmygaff got them last year and as far as I know jack is pulling his hair out studying for it!

They're more difficult than the 2nd year annual exams and probably more difficult than any other annual exam. Not necessarily because the questions are so different or challenging (though they can be sometimes) but because you've more than one module/discipline to study per paper.

The amount of work you need to put in is up to you. You need to know where you stand first before figuring out how much effort you'll need to put in.

Paper 1/Paper 2 questions can either appear to be only slightly different to the annuals but are marked to a much higher standard or can be completely different in style. It's not so much what you know as much as it is what you understand and how well you can communicate that. Sounding knowledgeable is one thing but knowing what you're talking about is another. Paper 3 has nothing to do with the annual exams and is based on five sets of 1-2 papers.

Is it worth it? In short, yes. If you get it, well and good. If not, you'll be better set than most for the annual exams. If you do end up going for it, it'll be on your mind for most of 2nd year so don't start worrying about it! You're only 8 weeks in to the course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Yeah know this is late, but who do we have for that seminar in 4003?

• Advertisement

Yeah know this is late, but who do we have for that seminar in 4003?

I've no idea! But we have a nice long break tomorrow!:)

Advertisement