Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

JF Biochemistry is now negative marking; ah f*ck.

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Still should be grand! Ours was quarter negative today :P
    Ah sure I wasn't worried about it at all;
    I knew at least 30 from past papers. Just meant I didn't guess the ones that I had no clue about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Ah sure I wasn't worried about it at all;
    I knew at least 30 from past papers. Just meant I didn't guess the ones that I had no clue about :P

Same I answered 24/38 today and cut my losses myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Knew something was fishy when people were saying they wouldn't release the 2013 paper... and having JF/SF Biochem on the same day to prevent tip offs. Pretty sneaky!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Knew something was fishy when people were saying they wouldn't release the 2013 paper... and having JF/SF Biochem on the same day to prevent tip offs. Pretty sneaky!

I never looked at the lectures so I deserved it in fairness but even those who did thought it was tough enough :P Thank god for Mantle's questions!

• Advertisement

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Thank god for Mantle's questions!

Haha, he actually put up a question I hadn't seen this year for a change :P

Oh I don't envy yee....6 more to go and I'm free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smc30

Hi everyone
    I'm after spending the last couple of hours going through this thread and can officially call myself terrified.
    I've been accepted to the course as a mature student to start this September. I studied chemistry for the LC but not biology and dropped down to pass maths at the last minute. What can I do between now and September to be well prepared?
    I was thinking I'd break out the old chemistry notes and also get familiar with LC biology. Is there anything else you would recommend? Any books I could get now that would give me a headstart on first year?

I know your all busy with exams at the minute, but if anyone wouldn't mind giving me a bit of info drop me a PM and I can get back to you when exams are over.

I'd recommend relaxing.

If you want to be very well prepared, have a look at Hart's Introduction to Organic Chemistry (don't bother with LC Chem, it's too basic especially if you already did it before). On the biology end of things, Google does the job. Bit of cell biology and then some physiology and you'll be better off than most LCers.

But really though, relax. As anyone in the course can testify, you'll learn 90% of the material in the last few days/weeks before the exams :pac:

Smc30 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I'm after spending the last couple of hours going through this thread and can officially call myself terrified.
    I've been accepted to the course as a mature student to start this September. I studied chemistry for the LC but not biology and dropped down to pass maths at the last minute. What can I do between now and September to be well prepared?
    I was thinking I'd break out the old chemistry notes and also get familiar with LC biology. Is there anything else you would recommend? Any books I could get now that would give me a headstart on first year?

I know your all busy with exams at the minute, but if anyone wouldn't mind giving me a bit of info drop me a PM and I can get back to you when exams are over.

Go on holiday for the next 3 months.....:D
    Other than that don't panic in your first quigley lecture.

Id second Partyatmygaff's suggestion of Hart Crane Hart Hadads organic chemistry book and a decent physiology book.

Most importantly, enjoy your time off. If I can make it through the 4 years of this course, anyone can:D

• Advertisement

I'd recommend relaxing.

If you want to be very well prepared, have a look at Hart's Introduction to Organic Chemistry (don't bother with LC Chem, it's too basic especially if you already did it before). On the biology end of things, Google does the job. Bit of cell biology and then some physiology and you'll be better off than most LCers.

But really though, relax. As anyone in the course can testify, you'll learn 90% of the material in the last few days/weeks before the exams :pac:

last few days:eek:....last few minutes before the exam:cool:

last few days:eek:....last few minutes before the exam:cool:
    90% of learning in Pharmacy takes place during the 48 hours before the exam.

90% of learning in Pharmacy takes place during the 48 hours before the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smc30

Ha ha ok thanks. You've both eased my mind a bit:)
    I just feel as though I should make use of the time I have to try and get ahead or at least to the same standard as everyone else going into the course.

Smc30 wrote: »
    Ha ha ok thanks. You've both eased my mind a bit:)
    I just feel as though I should make use of the time I have to try and get ahead or at least to the same standard as everyone else going into the course.
    Everyone starts off in the same boat. Overwhelmed, confused and bewildered. Then you go foolishly buy or look at the textbooks they recommend and get even more worried.

There's really no point in doing much work before you start the course. You'll have more than enough to do when you start.

Why on earth does a pharmacist need to know that guinea pigs can suffer from malocclusion (a dental disorder...)? The chances of any one of us ever dispensing a drug for an animal of any kind is low (least of all a guinea pig).

I can almost guarantee that no pharmacist will ever have to deal with someone coming in with their guinea pig to ask them to have a look at its teeth. Malocclusion is a job for a vet or "veterinary dentist" or whoever is supposed to deal with animal dental problems. I don't even think there's any drug therapy for it so what it's doing on the course is beyond me.

If you're going to ask an MCQ like "True or False: Guinea pigs can suffer from malocclusion", the least that could be done would be to mention that somewhere in the slides rather than just mentioning rabbits and assuming people could somehow know it also applied to guinea pigs.

Not even that big of a deal, a small question in a fairly small module and it's not worth anything overall but ridiculous all the same.

"A potential side effect of steroids is impaired ability to fall asleep."

Never has a truer word been said :(

"A potential side effect of steroids is impaired ability to fall asleep."

Never has a truer word been said :(

Haha I was getting my wine glass topped up with wine while talking to sasse tonight and all. As I told you previously a side effect of steroids is man boobs. :pac:

FAO dupsa next year. Find out where Healy got the wine for the 4th year reception tonight. Was amazing.
    Also blutenderabe hope you're keeping well. :cool:

Haha I was getting my wine glass topped up with wine while talking to sasse tonight and all. As I told you previously a side effect of steroids is man boobs. :pac:

FAO dupsa next year. Find out where Healy got the wine for the 4th year reception tonight. Was amazing.
    Also blutenderabe hope you're keeping well. :cool:
    I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow.

I wish Gilmer (and to an extent, Quigley) taught this whole module. Easily the best parts of the module. You understand it once, you know it for life. The rest need to be refreshed again and again and again.

I need an IV drip of caffeine or something. I've been at this for 18 hours straight (not to mention all day yesterday) and these tiny little details and stupid little finicky (and by right, useless to memorise) reactions have not stuck for the past 8 weeks and still will not stick no matter what I try.

sleep+is+for+the+weak.jpg

The whole module is useless to clinical pharmacy in fairness. Meegan's stuff is nice though. Know some stuff on penicillins and happy days.

• Advertisement

"nice"... Meegan's PH3002? More like horrifying and twice the size of the rest of the course.

That must've been seriously strong wine :pac:

"nice"... Meegan's PH3002? More like horrifying and twice the size of the rest of the course.

That must've been seriously strong wine :pac:

It was drinkable compared to what dupsa always gave :pac:

Nice enough as in that it wasn't difficult. It was penicillins. How worse can it be. It's going to bE something along how does Penicillins work.

Anything along the lines of penicillins and not the the two other massive topics she also teaches i.e. cephalosporins or cholinergics and it'll be reasonable. None of her material is hard, it never is. It's just the fact there are so many reactions and structures that she expects you to know for each.

Clocked 2h50m of sleep, what a lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Santigo12

I am going to do some study over the summer - just a few minutes a day or two, nothing serious. I was curious if anyone has some tips on preparing for schols.

Are the exams based on just the slide notes from the professors or do you have to do some of your own reading?

Also would anyone mind sending me a few of the JS year slides. Just to get an idea, I'd really appreciate it.

Santigo12 wrote: »
    I am going to do some study over the summer - just a few minutes a day or two, nothing serious. I was curious if anyone has some tips on preparing for schols.
    It's really unnecessary and (imo anyway) will do more harm than good. It's a long way off from January 2015 and you'll be tired, worn out and disillusioned if you've been at it for nearly half a year! The best way to prepare for schols is to take summer off and hit the ground running in October (Or Nov/Dec like some people.... :p )
    Are the exams based on just the slide notes from the professors or do you have to do some of your own reading?
    Paper 1 and Paper 2 are based on some of the modules in second year. Roughly Paper 1 chemistry, analysis and pharmacognosy, paper 2 is ceutics, practice and pharmacology.

Paper 3 is based on research papers you're given and asked to read in late October.

You do need to do a bit of extra reading to get over 70 but not a huge amount.
    Also would anyone mind sending me a few of the JS year slides. Just to get an idea, I'd really appreciate it.
    Probably not a good idea. They're liable to change and you've all of second year to deal with first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Santigo12

It's really unnecessary and (imo anyway) will do more harm than good. It's a long way off from January 2015 and you'll be tired, worn out and disillusioned if you've been at it for nearly half a year! The best way to prepare for schols is to take summer off and hit the ground running in October (Or Nov/Dec like some people.... :p )

Thanks. Ye, I agree with what you are saying and by studying over the summer, I really meant that I would only be doing a few minutes when I feel particularly enthusiastic or motivated to do something. But then again you would forget it all by September :)
    Paper 3 is based on research papers you're given and asked to read in late October.QUOTE]

What are these research papers like?

What are these research papers like?

Differs each year. There's pharm chem, pharmaceutical technology (ceutics), pharmacology, practice of pharmacy and pharmacognosy. It's one of the nicer parts of the exam I reckon. Refreshing change from looking at lectures.

They differ from year to year so it's impossible to say much more about them.

Well that was a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

How so?

• Advertisement

Results were out a few days early for 1st-3rd year. Was a bit of a shock seeing the email from Sasse telling us to check the site!

Advertisement