Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR072 Pharmacy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

JeaicMaG wrote: »
    Is the mark for first year just an average of all our marks? (PH1003 and Biology worth twice as much as the rest?)

And then we get that percentage of the 10% going for first year? Like a 50% average gives you 5% etc.?

Yep. 10% first year, 15 second year, 25 third year and 50% fourth year!
    So no 1:1 for me. Will need to pull the socks up next year for sure!:)

Speaking of double weighting, you'd think they'd have the subject most relevant to what were studying...practice of pharmacy as a 10 ects but no!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd be thankful it's not 10ECTs. The papers and all the CA are marked fairly hard relative to other modules.

How hard is PH2009 marked?

If the schols results are anything to go by, the standard needed for a good answer in PH2009 is sky-high. I wrote (what I thought) was a very good essay and almost (but not quite) made 60%. How did people fare last year?

If the schols results are anything to go by, the standard needed for a good answer in PH2009 is sky-high. I wrote (what I thought) was a very good essay and almost (but not quite) made 60%. How did people fare last year?

What's 2009 again? Harkin?
    My trouble last year was with 3 and 4.

Therefore not too hard, but it depends what mark you're looking for!

Scortho wrote: »
    What's 2009 again? Harkin?
    My trouble last year was with 3 and 4.

Therefore not too hard, but it depends what mark you're looking for!
    Harkin yeah.

04 went by without a hitch on Tuesday. 03's on Monday, should be interesting... The entire class was terrified of biotech and a good of few us pulled all-nighters (i've been awake since 7AM yesterday and i'm studying PH2009 now). Turns out there was no need as all the material on the exam was material i'd studied at the start of April. Feel like such an idiot, wasted so many hours on that module for no good reason.

Anyway... he gave most of the people who got schols in 40s-50s and very low 60s. I've got a feeling he marks the annuals a bit easier? Hopefully anyway, otherwise he must have impossibly high standards.

• Advertisement

Harkin yeah.

04 went by without a hitch on Tuesday. 03's on Monday, should be interesting... The entire class was terrified of biotech and a good of few us pulled all-nighters (i've been awake since 7AM yesterday and i'm studying PH2009 now). Turns out there was no need as all the material on the exam was material i'd studied at the start of April. Feel like such an idiot, wasted so many hours on that module for no good reason.

Anyway... he gave most of the people who got schols in 40s-50s and very low 60s. I've got a feeling he marks the annuals a bit easier? Hopefully anyway, otherwise he must have impossibly high standards.

Oh I feel your pain. I've had 2 hours sleep since yesterday. Studying radomski and Frankish in one day ain't good! Got a bit of s fright in thecq when i saw more frankish to radomski. Just had a sleep there now though before sitting into sasses 02 for the evening.
    Ah sure that's always the case with any study you do. Not everything will come up. In fact most of it won't. They're really unpredictable as well.

On Hawkins stuff, I knew the first 8 lectures going into the morning of the exam. Read the next few before the exam started at 2 o clock.
    I was only able to answer 2 of the 3 essays (due to lack if study) and the mcqs and left after an hour.
    Somehow ended up with 55. Not bad for a mornings work.

Tip for the mcq. It's true or false, so 50:50 chance of getting the mark. However examiners don't like asking negative questions in mcqs, especially true or false. It's easier for them to make up 7 false answers and mix them up amongst the paper. So if you don't know the answer guess true, as statistically it'll be in your favour.

Oh I feel your pain. I've had 2 hours sleep since yesterday. Studying radomski and Frankish in one day ain't good! Got a bit of s fright in thecq when i saw more frankish to radomski. Just had a sleep there now though before sitting into sasses 02 for the evening.
    I can only imagine how horrible all that must be. Course handbook doesn't make it sound all that appealing!
    On Hawkins stuff, I knew the first 8 lectures going into the morning of the exam. Read the next few before the exam started at 2 o clock.
    I was only able to answer 2 of the 3 essays (due to lack if study) and the mcqs and left after an hour.
    Somehow ended up with 55. Not bad for a mornings work.
    That's pretty damn good for 2/3 essays and the MCQ. Each essay worth something like 18% of your total grade so you technically could've got a first had you done the third essay.
    Tip for the mcq. It's true or false, so 50:50 chance of getting the mark. However examiners don't like asking negative questions in mcqs, especially true or false. It's easier for them to make up 7 false answers and mix them up amongst the paper. So if you don't know the answer guess true, as statistically it'll be in your favour.
    Hopefully won't need that! Questions seem nice enough.

I can only imagine how horrible all that must be. Course handbook doesn't make it sound all that appealing!

That's pretty damn good for 2/3 essays and the MCQ. Each essay worth something like 18% of your total grade so you technically could've got a first had you done the third essay.

Hopefully won't need that! Questions seem nice enough.

It was the true false that helped me. Had I not answered the ones I didn't know I'd have been borderline pass.

Yeah her stuff isn't nice this year, not that sasse stuff ever is nice!:( I've left it to last though and quigs has 2 questions. Exam not for another week so if I can scrape a few marks from her question should be fine!

Two Quigley questions usually spells a pass!

(Although looking at those PH3002 papers is quite scary, it looks hellish)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

For the PH1006 MCQs what does it mean by "2nd statement is a correct explanation of the 1st". For example:

First statement:
    The EU has a policy of supporting the development of Orphan Medicinal Products.

Second statement:
    Orphan Medicinal Products are used in the management of rare diseases and it would not be profitable for companies to develop them without support.

I think both are true but would the second be considered an explanation?

• Advertisement

Two Quigley questions usually spells a pass!

(Although looking at those PH3002 papers is quite scary, it looks hellish)

Meegans lecture slides should get me 60, one of quigs questions is on qsar and the other is on histamines. Easy enough to pick up decent marks there. Gilmer is a nice marker and will give you 60ish for his question if you give him the basics of his lectures as well. He only had 70 slides, 20 of which are on enzymes inhibitors, Sasse is where the problem lies. Her slides are awful and incomprehensible.

For the PH1006 MCQs what does it mean by "2nd statement is a correct explanation of the 1st". For example:

First statement:
    The EU has a policy of supporting the development of Orphan Medicinal Products.

Second statement:
    Orphan Medicinal Products are used in the management of rare diseases and it would not be profitable for companies to develop them without support.

I think both are true but would the second be considered an explanation?

Welcome to pharmacy.
    3 years later I still don't get these questions!
    Generally unless its a stand out explanation of the first, then I go both true and the second explains the first.
    If I have doubts as to whether the second statement is true and an explanation of the first then I go true for both but the second isn't an explanation of the first.

In that question id go with both true and the second is an explanation of the first as it gives the reason as to why the eu has the policy to support the development of orphan medicines, that is that they'd be unprofitable to develop without the support.

Just add a "because" in the middle to test. If the sentence makes sense, you're good to go.

Hopeful Henman's question will reappear today :L

Edit: It came up! Now to settle into my least favourite module 1002. Almost finished. The next two years seem like great craic btw :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 133Acrolein

harkin is prob one of the better markers/fairer markers..

2 exams to go and I'm done with TCD pharmacy:P

Hopeful Henman's question will reappear today :L

Edit: It came up! Now to settle into my least favourite module 1002. Almost finished. The next two years seem like great craic btw :P
    Highlight of the next two years will probably be aseptics in PH3004 (save for the exam which probably won't be very fun...)

harkin is prob one of the better markers/fairer markers..

2 exams to go and I'm done with TCD pharmacy:P

Lucky bugger! Fair play though!

Highlight of the next two years will probably be aseptics in PH3004 (save for the exam which probably won't be very fun...)

Aseptics? When I looked at that I thought it'd be great. Needless to say darcy isn't the most aspiring lecturer in the world!
    Exam was 36 mcqs in 2 hours though.

The best part of the next 2 years are the summer holidays where you don't have to see the place!:D

4 more exams (PH2009 was beautiful today).

4 more exams (PH2009 was beautiful today).

You'd an exam today? Ouch

That said I'm not finished til Thursday week. Studying has gone downhill altogether.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 22nd May for me! 11 more days, 3 more exams.

Oh yeah, there's talk going around that there may be something i'm sure you'll all be very interested in signing out sometime in the next two weeks. I'll say no more until then.

Wednesday 22nd May for me! 11 more days, 3 more exams.

Oh yeah, there's talk going around that there may be something i'm sure you'll all be very interested in signing out sometime in the next two weeks. I'll say no more until then.

Talk of something that will have little effect on 3rd years! And possibly you either.

Talk of something that will have little effect on 3rd years! And possibly you either.
    Nothing like a bit of solidarity!

What's this about? :P

What's this about? :P

Ask no questions get no lies!:P

If it happens, you'll be delighted in a year to 18 months. Trinity are very slow to change.

Nah! The easiest exam you'll ever have is veterinary pharmacy! Finished after 20 mins, what pharmacy exams should be like!
    Pity it's only 1 credit

I like the sound of that...

Shame veterinary pharmacy is useless unless you're living out in the shticks and only 1 credit? Boo-urns.

I like the sound of that...

Shame veterinary pharmacy is useless unless you're living out in the shticks and only 1 credit? Boo-urns.

It reminded me of leaving cert biology!:)
    They'll be the worst 7 lectures of your life though!

You know what else reminded me of LC biology?

The PH2003 exam today. The long question for pharmacognosy was based on the monograph (which was attached) for Senna and one of the questions was label the tissues in a few slides and comment on whether or not it complied. The second part was four of the pharmacognostic tests and the third gave 5 marks for calculating % content from an absorbance reading (2 seconds on a calculator as you know).

The rest of paper wasn't as nice, granted but that was a nice question to open the paper to.

• Advertisement

You know what else reminded me of LC biology?

The PH2003 exam today. The long question for pharmacognosy was based on the monograph (which was attached) for Senna and one of the questions was label the tissues in a few slides and comment on whether or not it complied. The second part was four of the pharmacognostic tests and the third gave 5 marks for calculating % content from an absorbance reading (2 seconds on a calculator as you know).

The rest of paper wasn't as nice, granted but that was a nice question to open the paper to.

Prick (fabio). I'd have passed had that question came up last year. Only thing in photosynthesis that I didn't study was tropical plants!:(

Sounds like a lovely question alright. Yeah that paper is always nasty. Unless there's a full question on ir.

Advertisement