Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law- UL vs UCC?

• 22-08-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could give me any reasons that Law in UCC is better than Law Plus in UL (or vice-versa)?

UCC Law was 480* this year, I got 480 but didn't get in- got UL instead. Really happy with it, but since I was so close there is a chance I could get a round 2 offer for UCC. I've lived in Cork for years so it's tempting to want to stick with what I know, but I'm not sure what I would do if I was given the choice.

Career-wise, does it make much difference which uni you do Law in? is UCC better since it's higher points/ more prestigious? Or is UL better because of all the extra stuff in Law Plus?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

njd2010 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could give me any reasons that Law in UCC is better than Law Plus in UL (or vice-versa)?

UCC Law was 480* this year, I got 480 but didn't get in- got UL instead. Really happy with it, but since I was so close there is a chance I could get a round 2 offer for UCC. I've lived in Cork for years so it's tempting to want to stick with what I know, but I'm not sure what I would do if I was given the choice.

Career-wise, does it make much difference which uni you do Law in? is UCC better since it's higher points/ more prestigious? Or is UL better because of all the extra stuff in Law Plus?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know anything about the courses but just because the points are higher in UCC that doesn't make it better than UL, it just means the person with the lowest points that got an offer for UCC got more points than the person with the lowest points who got an offer for UL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

yeah I know that, just wondering if there's any actual differences between the courses themselves.

There are financial matters involved too, but really what I'm wondering is, is UCC Law a more focused degree, and does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

I'm in 6th Year now, and am wondering which course is regarded better also? I want to do law but which course?

brownstone wrote: »
    I'm in 6th Year now, and am wondering which course is regarded better also? I want to do law but which course?

I've since asked this question on both UL and UCC forums as well as here, and asked a few past and present students of both schools, so I guess I'll share my findings here in case it helps you.

Pros for UCC are mainly that it is undoubtedly a better known/more prestigious school, being among the top 100 schools in the world- this may be attractive to some employers (especially in other countries) but no guarantee. Prestige is only as important as any potential employer decides it is.

Pros for UL are the fact that it's a wider course so you are better off in case you decide Law isn't for you a year or so down the road. There are also 6 month Co-op programs in UL which in theory should make it sort of like Clinical Law in UCC, and that experience seems to have given a few people I've spoken to the edge on getting jobs after college.

At the end of the day, both seem to be brilliant courses and both are brilliant schools. I'm going with UL for both financial reasons and the fact that I liked the idea of non-law modules and the co-op, but couldn't knock anyone for choosing UCC. At the end of the day you are studying the same topics and probably going to King's or Blackhall with everyone else anyway.

**That's comparing just the straight UCC Law course- I would still recommend putting UCC International Law and Clinical Law first, those degrees are much much cooler :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

Thanks so much, thats really helpful. It's really hard to make a decision. I know i have time yet but i want to have an idea for points etc!

Advertisement