Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I dispose of old PC/Monitors FOC?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Anywhere around that I can dispose of some old PCs and CRT monitors free of charge?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

There is a big recycling centre just behind the Coolmine Fire Station, full details are here:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/Recycling/RecyclingFacilities/CoolmineRecyclingCentre/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It doesn't specifically mention PCs or old CRT monitors. There's some free stuff listed and some chargeable stuff. Does anyone know from experience which category it fits into?

It states household only, non commerical. I have about 4 or 5 old PCs and I'd be pulling up in a van. They are household waste but I'm concerned it'll look very like I'd just cleared out an office. Any experience?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

They definitely take PC's and monitors - I've dropped off computer stuff there myself before.

The lads working there don't seem overly strict about what you're dumping and there are always plenty of vans and jeeps driving in.

Maybe give them a quick phone call in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sure I might just pop up on Saturday and see what happens. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Random wrote: »
    Sure I might just pop up on Saturday and see what happens. Cheers

The Coolmine Recycling Centre dispose of all electrical goods (as per the W.E.E.E Directive) free of charge, including PC Monitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

If they're working, drop them into Camara, who'll refurbish, wipe hard disks, load them with open source software and send them to schools in Zambia, Rwanda, Kenya and elsewhere in Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

richardjjd wrote: »
    If they're working, drop them into Camara, who'll refurbish, wipe hard disks, load them with open source software and send them to schools in Zambia, Rwanda, Kenya and elsewhere in Africa.

Camara will have a minimum spec,as far as i remember,they will not take...rubbish or faulty equipment!
    They shipped 25,000 so far...i hope they knows what they r doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

rolion wrote: »
    Camara will have a minimum spec,as far as i remember,they will not take...rubbish or faulty equipment!
    They shipped 25,000 so far...i hope they knows what they r doing...

I dropped in an ancient desktop about a year ago and they'd no issue with it's age. No idea about faulty equipment, but they could probably salvage hard-to-find obsolete parts for computers they've already shipped.

Worth noting too that they charge €20 for personal customers, seem professional though and it's a good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The Coolmine Recycling Centre dispose of all electrical goods (as per the W.E.E.E Directive) free of charge, including PC Monitors.

I upgrade my PC equipment periodically which means I've parts, cases, speakers etc lying around the place.

D'ye think they'd take my stuff in that condition?

Also, I take the hard drives out. I'm hoping to wipe them somehow or maybe get them shredded as I'm not sure which ones might have my online account passwords (esb, amazon.com etc) stored on them. Anyone know if there's a hard drive shredding company around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

As a result of the WEEE Directive All electrical goods can be disposed of free of charge at the Coolmine Recycling Centre.

Quite a number of retail suppliers will also dispose of your old electrical goods just ask when you're buying your new appliances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement