Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 things to do on Laylatul Qadr

• 22-08-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

5 things to do on Laylatul Qadr

So valuable is this Night of Qadr that the Quran devotes a special surah to
    it “Lailatul Qadr is better than a thousand months” [97:3]

This one night surpasses the value of 30,000 nights. The most authentic account of the occurrence of the Night indicates that it can occur on any one of the last ten, odd numbered nights of Ramadan, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29.

We should strive to stay up at least on the odd numbered nights of the last ten days. If we can't manage that then let us pray at least on the 27th night. If one prays on all of the last odd numbered nights then there is more chance that one may have caught this most powerful night and the reward is of over 83 YEARS OF WORSHIP! Subhanallah! Most will not even live upto that age!

It is a night that we CANNOT miss out on so here is how we can maximise this blessed night:

1. Recite the Qur’an abundantly

Az-Zuhri used to say upon the coming of Ramadan, “It is only about reciting the Qur’an and feeding the poor.”

Abdur-Raziq said, “When Ramadan came, Sufyan Ath-Thawri would give up all acts of (voluntary) worship and devote himself to the recitation of the Qur’an.”

Laylatul Qadr is the night the Qur'an was revealed so we should spend much of the night reciting it for we will gain 700 hasanah or more by reciting each letter!

2. Strive to gain forgiveness

One should strive and do their utmost to gain the mercy of Allah especially in the odd numbered nights of the last ten days. If one leaves Ramadan without gaining the mercy of Allah then surely they are the most unfortunate ones and are the biggest losers in this world and the next.

The main Dua for Laylatul Qadr is the following:

Aisha (Ra) said: “I asked the Messenger of Allah: 'O Messenger of Allah, if I know what night is the night of Qadr, what should I say during it?' He said: 'Say: O Allah, You are pardoning and You love to pardon, so pardon me.'

"Allahumma innaka 'afuwwun tuhibbul 'afwa fa'fu 'annee" (Ahmad, Ibn Majah, and Tirmidhi).

Gaining forgiveness on laylatul Qadr

Abu Huraira narrated that the Messenger said: “Whoever stands (in prayer) in Laylatul Qadr while nourishing his faith with self-evaluation, expecting reward from Allah, will have all of his previous sins forgiven.” (Bukhari and Muslim).

We should sincerely repent for past and present sins with the intention of not repeating them again and ask of Allah Ta’aala to help us prevent ourselves from doing them again and ask Allah to perfect our characters and to help us improve ourselves in everyway possible.

3. Do much Superogatory Prayers (Nafil)

Rabi'ah ibn Malik al-Aslami reported that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said: "Ask (anything)." Rabi'ah said: "I ask of you to be your companion in paradise." The Prophet said: "Or anything else?" Rabi'ah said: "That is it." The Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said to him: "Then help me by making many prostrations (i.e., supererogatory prayers)." (Muslim)

The Prophet peace be upon him said: “Whoever draws near to Allaah during it (Ramadaan) with a single characteristic from the characteristics of (voluntary) goodness, he is like whoever performs an obligatory act in other times. And whoever performs an obligatory act during it, he is like whoever performed seventy obligatory acts in other times.” Sahih Ibn Khuzaymah, no. 1887.

In this most blessed month of Ramadhan all good deeds are multiplied by 70 or more. Every Nafil one prays one will gain the reward of a Fard Salaah and every Fard Salah is the reward of 70 Fard salaah. Subhanallah what other time of the year is this possible? NONE! So let us make the best of these precious seconds and pray as many Nafil prayers as is possible!

Here are some Nafil prayers we can pray on Laylatul Qadr:

1. Two Rakat after performing Wudu (Ablution)

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said to Bilal (may Allah be pleased with him): “Tell me about the best of your deeds (i.e. one which you deem the most rewarding) since your embracing Islam because I heard your footsteps in front of me in Paradise.” Bilal (may Allah be pleased with him) replied: “I do not consider any act of mine more rewarding than that whenever I make ablution at any time of night or day, I perform Prayer for as much as was destined for me to do.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)”

2. Tahajjud

Imam Abu Sa'id al-Khadimi said,

"There is scholarly consensus (ijma`) that among the best of virtuous acts is the night vigil prayer." [al-Bariqa al-Mahmudiyya Sharh al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya]

The scholars derived the following in regards to Tahajjud from the Qur'an and prophetic hadiths:

1. The minimal night vigil prayer is 2 rakats. [Hindiyya, quoting Fath al-Qadir]

2. Its optimal recommended amount is 8 rakats, because this was the general practice of the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions). [Hindiyya, quoting Fath al-Qadir]

3. Lengthier recitation is superior to a larger number of rakats prayed. [Durr al-Mukhtar, Radd al-Muhtar]

4. It is recommended to start the night vigil with two short rakats, because of the hadith of Abu Hurayra that the Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, "It you get up for night prayer, start with two short rakats." [Muslim, Ahmad, Abu Dawud]

Ibn Mas`ud (Allah be pleased with him) was asked, "I cannot pray at night." He said, "Your sins have prevented you."

3. Salaatul Tasbih

This is a very rewarding prayer that we should pray on each of the odd numbered nights.

Ibn al Mubarak says: “The tasbih prayer is a greatly desired act and it is desirable that one should punctually observe it and never neglect it.

How to perform this Salaah

‘Ikrimah reports from Ibn ‘Abbas that the Messenger of Allah said to ‘Abbas ibn ‘Abdal-Mutalib: “O ‘Abbas, O Uncle, shall I not give you, shall I not present to you, shall I not donate to you, shall I not tell you ten things which, if you do, Allah will forgive your first and last sins, past and present sins, intentional and unintentional sins, private and public sins? The ten actions are: pray four rak’at, reciting in every rak’ah al-Fatihah and a surah. And when you finish the Qur’anic recitation of the first rak’ah, say, while standing, ‘Subhanallah, al-hamdulillah, wa la ilaha illallah, wa Allahu Akbar‘ Fifteen times. Then make ruku’, and while you are in ruku’, say the same ten times; then stand, and say the same ten times. Then go down and make sajdah, and while you’re in sajdah, say the same ten times. Then sit after the sajdah, and say the same ten times. Then make sajdah, and say the same ten times. Then sit after the second sajdah, and say the same another ten times. That is seventy-five [repetitions of the phrases] in each rak’ah. Do that in each of the four rak’at. If you can pray it once a day, do so. If you cannot, then once every Friday. If you cannot do that, then once a year. And if you cannot do that then once in your life. “

4. Increase in Dhikr (Rememberance of Allah)

We should glorify Allah night and day, especially in the last odd nights.

Here are some easy and very beneficial Dhikr and glorification we can do throughout the last ten odd nights:

1. Allahumma innaka 'afuwwun tuhibbul 'afwa fa'fu 'annee

2. Subhanallah

3. Alhamdulillah

4. Allahu Akbar

5. Laa ilaha ilallah

6. LA HAWLA WA LA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH

7. Asthaghfirullah

8. SUB-HAN'ALLAH HIL AZEEM WA BI-HAM'DIHI,

9. Subhāna-llāhi, wa-l-hamdu li-llāhi, wa lā ilāha illā-llāhu, wa-llāhu akbar. Wa lā hawla wa lā quwwata illā bi-llāhi-l-aliyyi-l-azīm

10. Lā ilāha illā-llāhu waḥdahu lā sharīka lahu lahu-l-mulku wa lahu-l-ḥamdu yuhyi wa yumītu wa huwa ḥayyu-llā yamūtu abadan abada, ḏū-l-jalāli wa-l-ikrām, biyadihi-l-khayr, wa huwa alā kulli Shay-in qadīr

Or the shortened version:

11. Laa ilaaha illal-laahu wahdahu laa shareeka lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu wa huwa ‘alaa kulli shay-in qadeer

One can also recite the durood that one recites in one's Salaah or a Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallim

5. Make much dua

We should be very busy in Dua as much as we can especially in the last 10 odd numbered.

Allah Almighty says in the Qur'an:

"When my servants ask you concerning me, (tell them) I am indeed close (to them). I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on me." [2:186]

The place of duaa is so high to Allah, that the Prophet(Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallim) had said: "Nothing is more honourable to Allah the Most High than du`a." [Sahih al-Jami` no.5268].

Almighty Allah also said: "The most excellent worship is du`a." [Sahih Al-Jami` no. 1133]

Therefore let us devote much of the night of Qadr in dua asking of Allah for his mercy and forgiveness for all of our past sins and making firm intentions to Allah that we will change for the better and strive to become closer to him as well as make our deen a FULL part of our lives and not just a little part of our life as Allah says:

Allah tells us In the Qur'an to enter fully into our deen and not partly:

O believers enter into Islam completely and do not follow the footsteps of Shaitan, surely he is your clear-cut enemy.... (Surah Al-Baqara, Ayah 208-210)

So then will we not make Islam a FULL part of our lives? This is our best opportunity and if we don't take it and death comes to us then surely we will regret it for ETERNITY!

And Allah knows best in all matters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 IslamicSister

hamza81 wrote: »

‘Ikrimah reports from Ibn ‘Abbas that the Messenger of Allah said to ‘Abbas ibn ‘Abdal-Mutalib: “O ‘Abbas, O Uncle, shall I not give you, shall I not present to you, shall I not donate to you, shall I not tell you ten things which, if you do, Allah will forgive your first and last sins, past and present sins, intentional and unintentional sins, private and public sins? The ten actions are: pray four rak’at, reciting in every rak’ah al-Fatihah and a surah. And when you finish the Qur’anic recitation of the first rak’ah, say, while standing, ‘Subhanallah, al-hamdulillah, wa la ilaha illallah, wa Allahu Akbar‘ Fifteen times. Then make ruku’, and while you are in ruku’, say the same ten times; then stand, and say the same ten times. Then go down and make sajdah, and while you’re in sajdah, say the same ten times. Then sit after the sajdah, and say the same ten times. Then make sajdah, and say the same ten times. Then sit after the second sajdah, and say the same another ten times. That is seventy-five [repetitions of the phrases] in each rak’ah. Do that in each of the four rak’at. If you can pray it once a day, do so. If you cannot, then once every Friday. If you cannot do that, then once a year. And if you cannot do that then once in your life. “

Brother, it would be great if you could quote your sources in your posts especially for the one above...thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hamza81

Brother, it would be great if you could quote your sources in your posts especially for the one above...thanks! :)

Asalaamu Alaikum, Regarding my pasts and articles they are actually my own creation and i did not copy then from anywhere else. I apologise for for missing out the quote for that hadith above.

The hadith above is recorded in Sunan Abi Dawud and other books of hadith that Rasulullah (SAW) once said to his uncle Hadrat `Abbas (RA) : O Abbas! O my uncle! Shall I not give you a gift? Shall I not show you something by means of which Allah Ta`ala will forgive your sins, the first and the last of them, the past and recent, the unintentional and the intentional, the small and huge, the secret and open?
    Rasulullah (SAW) then taught him the Salah al-Tasbih. Furthermore he advised him that it be offered daily, if possible. If not then every Friday or once a month or once a year or at least once in one's life time.
    Salah al-Tasbih consists of 4 raka`at. It can be performed any time of the day or night except at the makruh times.

The following tasbih is recited seventy-five times in each rak`ah totalling 300 in the 4 raka`at.

Subhaanallaahi walhamdu lillaahi walaa ilaaha illallaahu wallaahu akbar
    The method of this salah is as follows:
    • After beginning the salah by saying Allah-u-Akbar recite the thana ', Sura al-Fatiha and a Sura followed by the above tasbih 15 times.
    • Then go into Ruku and after reciting the usual tasbih for ruku` recite the above tasbih 10 times.
    • After standing up from ruku` recite the usual Rabbana Lakal Hamd and thereafter recite the tasbih 10 times.
    • Then go into Sajda and after reciting the usual tasbih for sajda recite the above tasbih 10 times.
    • Then sit up from sajda and recite the tasbih 10 times between the two sajdas.
    • Thereafter go into sajda again and after reciting the usual tasbih for sajda recite the above tasbih 10 times.
    • Then sit after the 2nd sajda (i.e. before standing up for the second rak`ah) and recite the tasbih 10 times.
    This adds up to 75 times in one rak`ah. Do the same for the remaining 4 raka`at.

Doubts about the validity of Salaatul Tasbih

Some doubts have been expressed about the above ahadith being weak and therefore it is not permissible to act upon them. To clarify on these points some of the opinions of the ulema have been quoted:

Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalaani (RA) states that sometimes a Muhaddith classifies a certain Hadith as weak, very weak or even as a fabrication based on one or two chains that were available to him, whereas there may be other chains through which that Hadith may be classified as Hasan (sound) or even Sahih (authentic). (Anukat vol.2 pg.848-850)

Hafiz ibn Hajar (RA) then mentions the Hadith of Salaat al-Tasbeeh as an example for this and he accepts it to be in fact either Sahih (authentic) or Hasan (sound) and not Dha’eef (weak). (Ibid)

Imaam Tirmidhi (RA) says that many Ulama, among them Imaam Abdullah ibn al-Mubaarak (RA), have accepted the virtue of Salaat al-Tasbeeh. (Tirmidhi vol.2 pg.348; Hadith 481)

Imaam Bayhaqi (RA) states that ‘Salaat al-Tasbeeh was the practice of Abdullah ibn al-Mubaarak and may pious predecessors of various eras. And this in fact lends strength to its acceptability.’ (Shu’ubul Imaam vol.1 pg.427; Ilmiyyah)

Allaamah Munzhiri (RA) mentions: Many Muhadditheen have accepted it’s authority from among them are: 1) Imaam Abu-bakr al-Ajurriy, 2) Imaam Abu Muhammad al-Misriy (Ustaadh of Allaamah Munzhiri), 3) Hafiz Abul-Hasan Maqdisi (Ustaadh of Allaamah Munzhiri), 4) Imaam Abu-Dawud and 5) Imaam Haakim. (Targheeb vol.1 pg.468)

Allaamah Suyuti (RA) has enumerated upto 20 great Muhadditheen who have accepted its authenticity. Besides those that are mentioned above, some of them are: 6) Hafiz Abu-Sa’eed al-Sam’aaniy, 7) Hafiz Khateeb al-Baghdaadiy, 8) Hafiz ibn-Mandah, 9) Imaam Bayhaqi, 10) Imaam al-Subkiy, 11) Imaam al-Nawawiy, 12) Haafiz ibn al-Salah, 13) Hafiz Abu-Musa al-Madiniy, 14) Hafiz al-Alaaeiy, 15) Imaam Siraaj-ud-Deen al-Bulqiniy, 16) Hafiz al-Zarkashiy and a few others. (al-Laalil Masnoo’ah vol.2 pg.42-44)

The following list of Muhadditheen is of those who have written detailed articles on this matter: 1) Imaam al-Daraaniy, 2) Imaam Abu-Musa al-Madiniy, 3) Imaam ibn Mandah, 4) Hafiz ibn Naasirud-Deen ad-Dimishqiy, Allaamah al-Suyyooti.

With regards the claim that this was not mentioned by the great Imams of the madhahibm, this lacks the support of explicit quotations from those illustrious Imaams as well as any reference. In fact, the books of Hanafi Fiqh support the view of its acceptance. (refer Shaami vol.2 pg.27; HM Saeed). And several Shaafi’ee Jurists have also endorsed it, namely Imaam al-Muhaamiliy, Imaam al-Juwaini, Imaam-ul-Haramayn, Imaam Ghazaaliy, Imaam Raafi’ee and others. (al-La-aaliy vol.2 pg.43; al-Azkaar of Imaam Nawawiy pg.242)

Khateeb Baghdaadiy (RA), who is Maaliki, states that there is no reason for it not being permissible. In fact, Imaam ibn Hajar (RA) has mentioned a quotation from Imaam Maaliki from which it could be deduced that it was acceptable in his Madhab. (refer Futuhaat al-Rabbaaniyyah vol.4 pg.321) Qaadhi Iyaad Maaliki (RA) has also accepted its virtue. (Ibid)

As far as Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal (RA) is concerned, Hafiz ibn Hajar (RA) has stated that he had reversed his decision and was possibly inclined towards its acceptability later on. (Futuhaat al-Rabbaaniyyah vol.4 pg.318, 320)

From the above, it is apparent that there can be no doubt regarding Salaat al-Tasbeeh being an act of virtue which has been established authentically. And is accepted by a large number of celebrated scholars of Hadith as well as the scholars of Fiqh (jurisprudence).

Source: http://lutonmuslims.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=366:salaatultasbih&catid=47:halaqaat&Itemid=77

Advertisement