Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking/setting a hook

Options
  • 22-08-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

First time posting on this forum (bar an update on last night's beachcasting in Garretstown in the chat thread) and I thought I'd ask a bit of advice. I'm a complete novice at this fishing lark but started in earnest a couple of months ago catching mackelers and the auld pollack. I've recently branched into trying to catch a bass and had a couple of sessions. During one session two weeks ago in Helvic Head in Waterford I saw bass jumping all over the gaff and started spinning with a small German-sprat type yoke (sorry if that's too vague). I had a serious take (most likely bass I think) but it popped off after five seconds, this has happened to me twice now and I'm wondering is there something I should be doing once I feel the smack on the line e.g. holding the rod high etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

FTA69 wrote: »
    I had a serious take (most likely bass I think) but it popped off after five seconds, this has happened to me twice now and I'm wondering is there something I should be doing once I feel the smack on the line e.g. holding the rod high etc?

Yes, that what I do aswell sometimes. Hold the rod up while reeling in the slack try to give it a pull so the hook will set right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Rod up and keep a solid pressure.But i find the biggest loss of fish come from poor hooks.Were the baits you were using cheap or old ? My advice would be to change out the trebles to a manufacture that you know make good quality hooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

damagegt wrote: »
    Rod up and keep a solid pressure.But i find the biggest loss of fish come from poor hooks.Were the baits you were using cheap or old ? My advice would be to change out the trebles to a manufacture that you know make good quality hooks.

The spinner was a rusty piece of sh*t, however there was no damage done to the hook or the spinner when I reeled it in. The lad I was with said it was down to the fact that bass are hard to set hooks into properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

FTA69 wrote: »
    The spinner was a rusty piece of sh*t, however there was no damage done to the hook or the spinner when I reeled it in. The lad I was with said it was down to the fact that bass are hard to set hooks into properly?
    They can be but if your hooks are anyway rusted they lose there edge and ull lose the world of fish.Best changing them on any cheap lure or at least give them a rinse in freshwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

damagegt wrote: »
    They can be but if your hooks are anyway rusted they lose there edge and ull lose the world of fish.Best changing them on any cheap lure or at least give them a rinse in freshwater.

Ah I see where you're going now, these hooks were well rusted and blunt. Spot on, if I'd a razor sharp new hook I may well have gotten him. Damn in anyway. Nice one for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

agree with the above about hooks... I mainly coarse fish but the principle is the same.. as soon as I notice any resistance when hooking a maggot I change the hook..

generally with a new hook on a spinner you will find that the fish hooks himself a lot of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

totally agree with all that has been said I find that even fishing for macks on the float, you pay alot of attention for the float to go and then strike to set the hook ive found alot of the time if you have razor sharp hooks sometimes im not paying attention and my rod nearly jumps out of my hands from the fish hooking itself. . its all up 2 sharp hooks them controlling the fish! tight lines mate

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

syboit wrote: »
    Yes, that what I do aswell sometimes. Hold the rod up while reeling in the slack try to give it a pull so the hook will set right.

yeah thats what i do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

My background is in pike and Game Fishing but I would never "strike" when im spinning, if bass are anything like pike they hook themselves or they dont, striking i feel wont increase the odds or help set a hook (now bait fishing is a different story). Keeping the rod high is definately a must when playing any fish it is the only real shock absorber you have to a fighting fish, also were you fishing mono or braid? I suppose mono would give a bit more stretch than braid would in a fight..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

mackelers is the best typo ever. I'm calling them that from now on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

I also agree regards the sharpness of hooks being ultra important - *but* you don't have to always look at replacing the hook! Even a good quality treble will lose its sharpness over a few fishing sessions, but you can sharpen it back up again very easily with a sharpening stone. These are small stones that easily fit in your pocket and will only cost a couple of bob in the tackle shop.

I tend to sharpen the trebles on a lure now before I start a fishing session, it only takes about 2-3 minutes and if you only have one or two takes over the course of a session you'll be kicking yourself if you failed to have sharp hooks at the time and miss the take.

Advertisement