Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia and Distance Learning & Study

Options
  • 22-08-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've tried looking into this but cant find an answer. If I were to move to Australia can I do Distance Learning and Study and be able to gain some sort of qualification while remaining in Oz? I reckon I wont be back in college this year because of failing college repeats, I dont feel that its the course for me though- I should be going into year 3 of 4 but tbh I HATE my course and constantly failing the same subject throughout. I dont know what I want to study instead of my current course but I worry that if I went to Australia/ Canada or something that I may never come back but I'd like to gain some sort of qualification at the same time. I looked into the education side of studying while in Australia and to attend college in the proper sense would never work, its way too expensive but it also states that on a WHV I can only study for 17 weeks. I guess that I could study through lets say the Open University but does that mean that I would need to be in UK or Ireland to sit some exams or something . I know that this is in no way an ideal situation and being in 3rd Year would be far more beneficial but I would like to figure out what the options are if any of distance learning while in Australia.

This thread isnt really me looking for people to say stay in college its the other aspect of what my options are really.
    Thanks in Advance
    A.W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've tried looking into this but cant find an answer. If I were to move to Australia can I do Distance Learning and Study and be able to gain some sort of qualification while remaining in Oz? I reckon I wont be back in college this year because of failing college repeats, I dont feel that its the course for me though- I should be going into year 3 of 4 but tbh I HATE my course and constantly failing the same subject throughout. I dont know what I want to study instead of my current course but I worry that if I went to Australia/ Canada or something that I may never come back but I'd like to gain some sort of qualification at the same time. I looked into the education side of studying while in Australia and to attend college in the proper sense would never work, its way too expensive but it also states that on a WHV I can only study for 17 weeks. I guess that I could study through lets say the Open University but does that mean that I would need to be in UK or Ireland to sit some exams or something . I know that this is in no way an ideal situation and being in 3rd Year would be far more beneficial but I would like to figure out what the options are if any of distance learning while in Australia.

This thread isnt really me looking for people to say stay in college its the other aspect of what my options are really.
    Thanks in Advance
    A.W.

I know you said you didn't want this to turn into everyone telling you to stay in college but when it's the best thing to do, why would we advise you any different.
    One thing that no one ever tells you. Yes results from a college course are important but actually sticking at a course is just as important. Employers see that you stuck at something for a few years. If thy employ you that you won't leave at the first opertunity.

Traveling to other countries seems to be the option for everyone these days. It's not always the answer. If you find it hard at home with your family n friends around it's alot harder being the other side of the world with no family

Don't heed all these stories of going to Oz walking off the plane into a job getting sponcered n living the good life. It's not that easy. Try finding a job on no quilfications no work exp n on a WHV is dam hard. You wont get sponcered unless you have the skills the company really need and can't get here.

Once you leave college and go traveling you promise yourself you'll study but you don't find a few years go by and you'll wish you had finished that course.

I guess what i'm saying is college is as much a test of can you stick something out as much as it is results. So finish the course what ever the results then travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

To seriously study in Australia will cost you anywhere between 5-10k a semester.
    You can come over on a WHV but being honest you won't get any decent job, more casual work as you have no experience and qualifications.

Chances of getting sponsorship are slim-none as to get sponsorship, as you need to be better than Australians etc, which would be difficult to prove.

You can also go a micky mouse study course over here, but restricts you to 20hrs working and is costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I am doing this at the moment, depends on what you want to study though. I did a Dip in IT with DCU Oscail a while back and it was a very good course. They can also arrange for you to sit the exams in Australia, Canada or where ever. Its very flexible.

www.oscail.ie

I am finishing off my degree this year with the university of London, I will be doing it from Oz so again its completely distance learning. They have a lot of options.

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Sorry I'm only getting back to this now.

The whole point of me saying I wasnt looking for someone to tell me to stay in college is because even though I really do hate my course I'm very stubborn in the sense that I dont want to waste mine and my parents hard earned cash by just chucking it in and can see that it would be more beneficial if I could go into 3rd year rather than emigrate. I cant see 3rd year happening this year though.

I will look into those links too thanks very much. I have looked into OU but wouldnt be able to sit exams or whatever in Australia and I dont want to start breaching visa terms by doing more weeks study than permitted.

Ahhhhh... Any further information or personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement