Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where the fook are the fish?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

so we went for a spot of mackerel fishing.......

last week we headed down to ballycotton to fish off the pier.
    got there and a good few fishing.cool

we caught nothing except for my brother catching a seagull,so thanks to the lad who helped us free it.
    there was a seal there too that robbed a few fish from a guy and ended up with hooks in its mouth too.- no fish

today we headed down near inchydoney, west cork and no fish.we used feathers and bait rigs on the bottom.

i want to catch some fish with the kids before they go back to school.where will i take them besides a fish farm or the english market

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Ballycotton/Cobh pier are supposed to be good spots at the moment around high tide. Though like many others have said the mackerel do seem a bit sparse this year.
    I've seen in previous years anyone on ballycotton pier or the breakwater would catch at least 1 or 2. This year any time I've been there its the odd one here and there.

Just like myself and a few others, just have to stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Try the rocks off Nohoval there out by Robert's Cove; it's a very popular spot and it's where I started fishing recently. It gets pretty busy so maybe try and go when it's drizzling (with raingear of course) and you may get the place to yourself. Try feathering and also try a weighted rig with a black and red jellyworm tipped with mackerel. I know sh*t all about fishing and am a complete novice but I know for a fact that the majority of times I've fished that gaff I've been hauling mackerel, good-size pollack and the occasional dogfish.

Definitely worth a look in, hit it about an hour before high tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Could I ask a very simple question and I am a bit embarrassed about it :rolleyes:, I bought some feathers for Mackerel and cannot figure out where to attach the weight, is it to the paper clip thing or the loop on the end of it?

No one I know fishes so I have been figuring out alot of it myself, I did catch some mackerel in Greenore, Co Louth last week though!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Simple as...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUege8jXvzehsqY5mW9QyplUM_M8jvccXNZy7JsnwHGmcnZQIDOg

Thx, now I had bought some feathers but there is a paper clip type object at one end and a loop at the other. Does the line or weight attach to the clip or do I attach a swivel to the loop???

• Advertisement

You tie your line on to the loop at the top, then clip the weight on to the paper-clip yoke, no bother. Also (you might know this already!) when you're reeling it in stop every few seconds and pull the rod back to drag the feathers through the water, then reel in the slack. Someone pointed that out to me and I'd much more success, it makes the feathers look more life-like in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yvonne86

I have recently took up the hobbie myself...I am defiantly no threat to the fish population as I havent caught anything as yet...I didnt realise you could use feathers for sea fishing...Just wondering what type of bait is good to use???

yvonne86 wrote: »
    I have recently took up the hobbie myself...I am defiantly no threat to the fish population as I havent caught anything as yet...I didnt realise you could use feathers for sea fishing...Just wondering what type of bait is good to use???

The feathers themselves are fine, you don't need to bait them at all to attract mackerel but I would advise the reeling-in technique I outlined above, don't just pump away on the reel but pull on the line and slowly reel in the slack. You can use a small bit of mackerel on the feather if you want and this will primarily attract pollack. When putting mackerel on the hook be sure to use a bit with skin on it, this will hold the bait on and stop it falling off.

If fishing for mackerel don't bother baiting the feathers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

FTA69 wrote: »
    The feathers themselves are fine, you don't need to bait them at all to attract mackerel but I would advise the reeling-in technique I outlined above, don't just pump away on the reel but pull on the line and slowly reel in the slack. You can use a small bit of mackerel on the feather if you want and this will primarily attract pollack. When putting mackerel on the hook be sure to use a bit with skin on it, this will hold the bait on and stop it falling off.

If fishing for mackerel don't bother baiting the feathers though.
    and keep the skin side down, that the pollack etc see the shiny side and not the flesh, (well thats my theory:D assuming the bait is taken from underneath of course), i like usin the ledheads with the rubber worms the red and black ones i found better, and can put sliver of mackerel on those too, thats when you get enough macs for bait:).... its been 5 yrs since i sea-fished:rolleyes:, must organise a trip,
    ps; i'm no expert believe me i'm sure others here will give better advice:)

You tie your line on to the loop at the top, then clip the weight on to the paper-clip yoke, no bother. Also (you might know this already!) when you're reeling it in stop every few seconds and pull the rod back to drag the feathers through the water, then reel in the slack. Someone pointed that out to me and I'd much more success, it makes the feathers look more life-like in the water.

Thank you very much :) it was wrecking my head and ill use your advice!

• Advertisement

bayliner wrote: »
    and keep the skin side down, that the pollack etc see the shiny side and not the flesh, (well thats my theory:D assuming the bait is taken from underneath of course), i like usin the ledheads with the rubber worms the red and black ones i found better, and can put sliver of mackerel on those too, thats when you get enough macs for bait:).... its been 5 yrs since i sea-fished:rolleyes:, must organise a trip,
    ps; i'm no expert believe me i'm sure others here will give better advice:)

Jelly worm and mackerel on a weighted-hook rig is a great bait, reel it in very slowly and it's brilliant for bagging doggy and pollack. It's nearly worth buying a bag of mackerel in the bait shop for this as you'd go through it quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Jelly worm and mackerel on a weighted-hook rig is a great bait, reel it in very slowly and it's brilliant for bagging doggy and pollack. It's nearly worth buying a bag of mackerel in the bait shop for this as you'd go through it quick enough.
    ya will indeed, need to get a good bag of macs in 1st:), and dont strike on the 1st tug you get keep winding slowly, till you know he is hooked, can pluck at it a few times before reaching the hook..

One last thing, seeing as it is the end of August now how much longer will the Mackerel be knocking around for? I am from Dundalk and would fish around Greenore and Clogherhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

was fishing with sand eels the last day and the mackerel seemed to be going for it, was told its a good bait to use, just got a load of feathers and am going to try for some mackerel tomorrow, whats the best time to fish for them high tide or low?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

was fishing with sand eels the last day and the mackerel seemed to be going for it, was told its a good bait to use, just got a load of feathers and am going to try for some mackerel tomorrow, whats the best time to fish for them high tide or low?

Usually 1-2 hours before high tide, and even for an hour afterwards when the tide starts to go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EMC7

Heading kayak fishing from Ballycotton for the first time with a buddy this afternoon. Any advice?

Advertisement