Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a better site than Daft.ie?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 9:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭

Such a frustrating site. Not the site itself, but the listings. It could really do with some moderators or something.

Don't let idiot landlords list their property as "City Centre" when it's a 40 minute walk to it.

Don't let landlords put up listings without photos. Who doesn't have access to a camera these days? You wouldn't sell a car on Autotrader without putting pictures up.

And finally, why isn't "Students Accepted?" a field they have to fill in? Sick and tired of ringing places up and they won't accept you the second they find out you're a student. I'm sure a massive majority of people looking for houses in say, Galway during August are going to be students - so why not just say it on the listing rather than waste both our time?

Nearly as useless as job websites...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mebird

Such a frustrating site. Not the site itself, but the listings. It could really do with some moderators or something.
    You're stuck with Daft I am afraid. They have the market for classified rental ads. There is MyHome.ie but I would not be surprised if they are scrapping Daft for content. I will prob get in trouble for that.
    Don't let idiot landlords list their property as "City Centre" when it's a 40 minute walk to it.
    That unfortunately is a syptom of the fact that we do not have post codes in Ireland....we were mean't to implement post codes recently but the civil servants in charge could not get past the tender stage.
    Don't let landlords put up listings without photos. Who doesn't have access to a camera these days? You wouldn't sell a car on Autotrader without putting pictures up.
    Totally agree.
    And finally, why isn't "Students Accepted?" a field they have to fill in? Sick and tired of ringing places up and they won't accept you the second they find out you're a student. I'm sure a massive majority of people looking for houses in say, Galway during August are going to be students - so why not just say it on the listing rather than waste both our time?

Nearly as useless as job websites...
    Agree aswell. Its not like they are refusing foreign students or single mother students ... the landlord doesn't want ANY students. So why can't they say so !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I don't really agree with you.

Most of your problems with Daft and job websites can be solved using the "Advanced Search" feature.

Examples:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[advanced]=1&s[college_id]=

http://www.dublinjobs.ie/search/advanced/

Look how many search options you have. You can exclude a lot of irrelevant results if you give the website more specific information.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't know if that's problem with daft.ie or idiots who put adds on it. I know atleast 2 properties, which have bull**** photos on it.

It's really annoying, when you see one thing on add and when you see it on real life it is just a hole.

The ather problem I got - lack of photos. They should have some sort of standart for households: picture of outside, 1 bedroom, livingroom, kitchen etc. Up to date too!

I talked to EA amd he said that 95% of intrest is coming from daft.ie and not myhome.ie

Lack of advertisement of myhome.ie will kill it. Thought they bouth owned by same company I guess.

In fairness to Daft they can't ring up every landlord grilling them to make sure the advert is 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

what annoys me is ad that have already being rented but are still online!
    one local agent has RENTED in front of most of their ad yet there still online, tights wads dont want to be paying to relist it and pay for the ad again if it becomes vacant again grrr

this same agent is living la la land with the rental prices they advertise at

• Advertisement

I talked to EA amd he said that 95% of intrest is coming from daft.ie and not myhome.ie

Lack of advertisement of myhome.ie will kill it. Thought they bouth owned by same company I guess.

Myhome is owned by the Irish Times. Those geniuses bought it for €50 million at a time when its revenue could not even have been 1/10 of that. I would be surprised if its revenue is more than 400K a year now and no amount of advertising is going to change that.

Similarly Daft.ie tried to establish itself in England and Poland and I doubt they made a ripple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Euskadi1888

I don't really agree with you.

Most of your problems with Daft and job websites can be solved using the "Advanced Search" feature
    Nope. I always use Advanced Search, in fact I don't really see the point of the Basic Search. You're essentially being asked "would you like an accurate answer to what you're asking, or would you like a really vague one?".

The problem isn't caused by the site itself, but by the people who put ads up. That's why I think it would be a good idea to have moderators - surely that would be quite a good USP?

But again I would like to see a 'Accept Students?' field, the same way you can filter those that accept rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I totally agree. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Daft. The website is so frustrating it makes me nearly want to cry.

I hate the way you can only view 10 properties per page, that you can't search on if a property has a garden or a balcony or is near the sea etc (surely a text search on the property description with these words should be possible). I hate the way folks letting studios are allowed slip in their ad in the wrong area. I hate the way 'The Liberties' isn't an area you can search in. I hate that there is an option to 'report this ad' if the listing is wrong etc but they never do anything about it. I hate that you can't search on property sizes and only by number of bedrooms. The list goes on....
    I can't remember why but I prefer MyHome. Maybe purely because it is not Daft.

I cannot believe another web company has not set up a half decent alternative by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Most of the problems you people have aren't problems at all, and DAFT actually has those features.

I'd like a feature where you can post a response to an ad that the landlord or seller couldn't take down unless it was illegal.
    That, for me, would be a real good way for DAFT to say hey yes, we're with the people, we're not siding with the people who pay the bills.
    I remember when DAFT bought into boards the first and second time there was a lot of talk about how daft were just like us and so on that the ads came second to the users.

The only real reason they don't have this feature is that the bad landlords and BS sellers will list elsewhere and they will lose their listing fee.

A benefit would be that people could report things.
    Like: The pics are from a similar but different property in the same block
    The seller was cagey and refused to provide a BER cert
    People were smoking even though it said NS
    etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It's landlords posting poor or no photos of the property that they are letting that drive me mad.

• Advertisement

Weyhey wrote: »
    I cannot believe another web company has not set up a half decent alternative by now.

There is a grave yard full of them...you just haven't heard of them.

You can have the best web site in the world but it is useless unless every seller and buyer is using it. Advertising is no good. You could attract the vendor, but not the buyer and vice versa. It is a chicken and egg situation that nobody is sure to crack no matter how much money they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

I've a list of things of things I'd like to see done with daft, but I'm tired so I'll stick to my number 1 - square foot should be a compulsory field and should be a searchable criteria.

Yup no pics is joke, don't bother with those ads

Ppl often take the piss on address, use show on map feat and make up ur own mind tbh

Is it actually legal to discriminate against students? Maybe this is why Daft don't offer that option...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Is it actually legal to discriminate against students? Maybe this is why Daft don't offer that option...?

But then wouldn't it be illegal to discriminate against RA tenants?

I know for a fact you can't advertise 'no rent assistance tenants'. Three cases were brought against a city centre EA ( can't remember the name ) which were upheld.

You would probably get away with 'no students' until some student takes a case under the same discrimination legislation and has a precedent set.

mebird wrote: »
    I know for a fact you can't advertise 'no rent assistance tenants'. Three cases were brought against a city centre EA ( can't remember the name ) which were upheld.

You would probably get away with 'no students' until some student takes a case under the same discrimination legislation and has a precedent set.

Well you obviously can on Daft. Because there is a box to search landlords that accept rent allowance tenants. And some ad's have rent allowance not accepted.

Monife wrote: »
    Well you obviously can on Daft. Because there is a box to search landlords that accept rent allowance tenants. And some ad's have rent allowance not accepted.

Didn't know that was available in Daft.

Maybe it doesn't contravene the Equal Status Act thingy... and the vague case I mentioned was won on another basis.. I can't remember the parties so I can't verify.

I would think it strange that you could discriminate on the basis of where a tenant's income came from though ?

Didn't know that was available in Daft.

Maybe it doesn't contravene the Equal Status Act thingy... and the vague case I mentioned was won on another basis.. I can't remember the parties so I can't verify.

I would think it strange that you could discriminate on the basis of where a tenant's income came from though ?

Strange. But obviously allowed. I can understand the LL point of you but I do agree that they should not be allowed discriminate against one group or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Well, as someone who uses the rent a room scheme, and therefore uses daft to get rooms let - it is the only show in town. I have a room up right now which I put up yesterday morning, and put the add in several places - I had a reply from daft within 10 mins of the add going live -and have had 2 replies from all other add's combined and 9 or 10 emails/calls about my room from daft.

I wont be renting to a student for a number of reasons, but its my place I can choose to live with who I want. Just like I wont be renting to a couple or I wont live with a smoker, for my own reasons. Every other type of person is fair game. I clearly that clearly on my add. You are clearly going to get people who forget/dont know to include that info. So maybe mention in your initial call/text/email "Im a student, is that cool"

A lot [not all, clearly] of the other issues here seem like tiny gripes to me tbh..

If there is no picture then ignore add and move on, as its dodgy and suspect they dont have pictures [like online dating :pac:]

If you have specific requirements or want certain things, use the advanced search, dont complain about basic search when you want x,y and z - as basic search is for people who want to do a quick vague check [like me taking a peek at vague average rents at 2 bed places in my area].

I know Daft and Boards share offices [as I walk by it twice a day] so there must be some way of making suggestions here or there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, as someone who uses the rent a room scheme, and therefore uses daft to get rooms let - it is the only show in town. I have a room up right now which I put up yesterday morning, and put the add in several places - I had a reply from daft within 10 mins of the add going live -and have had 2 replies from all other add's combined and 9 or 10 emails/calls about my room from daft.

I wont be renting to a student for a number of reasons, but its my place I can choose to live with who I want. Just like I wont be renting to a couple or I wont live with a smoker, for my own reasons. Every other type of person is fair game. I clearly that clearly on my add. You are clearly going to get people who forget/dont know to include that info. So maybe mention in your initial call/text/email "Im a student, is that cool"

A lot [not all, clearly] of the other issues here seem like tiny gripes to me tbh..

If there is no picture then ignore add and move on, as its dodgy and suspect they dont have pictures [like online dating :pac:]

If you have specific requirements or want certain things, use the advanced search, dont complain about basic search when you want x,y and z - as basic search is for people who want to do a quick vague check [like me taking a peek at vague average rents at 2 bed places in my area].

I know Daft and Boards share offices [as I walk by it twice a day] so there must be some way of making suggestions here or there :)

suggestion: REPORT BUTTON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I clearly that clearly on my add. You are clearly going to get people who forget/dont know to include that info.

Clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've found Daft pretty useless to be honest. I've had a look through it the other day and then looked through the various EAs separately and there's loads of houses on the EA sites that aren't on Daft.

Kinda defeats the purpose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Euskadi1888

I presume it's the same as banning U21s from nightclubs and stuff. Absolutely discriminatory, wouldn't get away with it if you said no-blacks etc but legal because it's their own property.

I'm not really complaining about landlords that won't take students, that's their loss really (don't know who else they expect to rent rundown houses in student areas), just that it would so much easier to specify it on the listing - so why don't Daft have it as a field?

I wasn't quite correct here. You can only take an action based on race, religion, family status etc.

However I would suggest that saying ' no RA ' automatically denies the following people access to the basic right of a tenancy:

Students / Mature Students
    People on State Pensions
    Disabled people on allowances and benefits
    Lone Parents on benefits
    The unemployed ( short term and long term )

Even if you don't say 'No lone parents on benefits' and say 'No RA', does it not have the same effect ?

Although it might help the prospective student tenant or the prospective RA tenant to know before hand who doesn't want them... surely it is not right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I wish daft had more features in advanced search, like size of garden, proximity to train station, school, motorway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Thats so the Revenue cannot find them and find they are not declaring tax.

Or former crazy tenants.

Try local papers, local supermarkets etc. There is still a lot of renting that doesn't happen via Daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

shoegirl wrote: »
    Try local papers, local supermarkets etc. There is still a lot of renting that doesn't happen via Daft.
    Oh god, they're even worse. None of the ads ever include proper descriptions or even rent! You just end up having to make about 20 ten-second phonecalls as you find out they're all outside your budget or not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

annacanna wrote: »
    what annoys me is ad that have already being rented but are still online!
    one local agent has RENTED in front of most of their ad yet there still online, tights wads dont want to be paying to relist it and pay for the ad again if it becomes vacant again grrr
    There is no money saved by doing this AFAIK. It is really there as a means of advertising for the agent. It tells landlords that this agent gets places rented. It is also useful for prospective renters if the rental price is left showing as it gives an idea of actual rental rates (if accurate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Weyhey wrote: »
    I hate that there is an option to 'report this ad' if the listing is wrong etc but they never do anything about it.
    The three times I have used the 'report this ad' button it has been acted on and the ad has been changed within 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

http://www.daft.ie/news/2008/daft-invests-in-boards-ie.daft

Shh, don't post bad things about Daft here..especially here:)

Advertisement