Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aluminium vs. Steel

• 22-08-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I have been thinking of buying a new frame for my bike. I'm upgrading an Orbea Asphalt from 2007 (aluminium frame). And initially I had decided I would buy a better alu frame, but I have become intrigued by steel! Reports of the comfort benefits seem widespread, but I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions of the benefits and disadvantages of steel as against aluminium. Bearing in mind that I ament exactly racing the Tour I don't see 500gm or so being a huge influence on my cycling.

Any opinions?
    Thanks in advance.
    Rónán:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have just moved to steel from aluminum for my non race but high milage bike (see images of beauty thread). My initial feeling is that it's very comfortable and smooth. Weight wise I think my bikes (old and new) are very similar - the new one is ~8.5kg, but the handling is very nice. Where the alu would buzz and bump, the steel smoothes over. It's more like my carbon one comfort wise but I do notice the extra 2kg.

I think nowadays alu is probably lighter than my old alu frame (which was a pro level bike 12 years ago) so the usual "it depends" applies of course.

I'd say good aluminum is better than bad carbon and good steel is better than bad aluminum.

Cost wise though I think aluminum is cheaper, and per gram better value too. Depending on your overall budget, carbon is probably in reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

I have alu and ti road bikes and a steel fixed gear. Very hard to separate them in terms of comfort. So much depends on the quality of the frame, geometry, wheels etc. I do think though that aluminium is under-rated and a good quality alu frame is better than entry level steel/carbon.

Have you thought about a wheelset upgrade.....prob would make the biggest difference to comfort /feel

Advertisement