Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolled Oats

Options
  • 22-08-2011 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps not an odd question to some, but where can I get 'rolled oats'?
    (I'm in Dublin)

There's a few recipes I'd like to try for cookies and things that call for 'rolled oats'. My mother says they're like a porridge oat except not porridge! lol - in the sense that you could buy them the way you buy a bag of porridge oats and she said she could have sworn you could get them like that.

I've been looking (perhaps not in the right places) but I can only find variations of porridge oats which won't do it seems.

Can anyone help?
    Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Your best bet is to ask at a healthfood store,but i think this might be close to what your looking for http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2292&prodid=2506&sid=0 i'd go into the store before buying it though just to make sure it's the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye I saw those before, but I wasn't sure if they were the same as 'rolled oats' (as per a recipe) which was why I was hoping someone here might know.
    Chap I asked in the store didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just checked the bag of Flahevans (sp?) Jumbo Oat Flakes that I have in the press and from what I read on the packet they seem to be rolled oats, although they aren't called rolled oats. They look like rolled oats and the description of how they are made seems similar to the Wikipedia definition of rolled oats. I could be totally wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes, basically porridge oats, the oats have been rolled between big rollers to flatten them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

hmmm perhaps we shall try the jumbo oats perhaps! rather than officially named 'porridge oats' :)

Thankee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is porridge oats you get here, jumbo oats could be called jumbo porridge oats. You will usually see them called oatFLAKES to distinguish them, if they are "flakes" they are rolled, but some would be rolled without mentioning flakes.

The other type you will see in some supermarkets it pinhead oats, these are hard little nuggets and take longer to cook. These can also be used to make porridge and less common (both could be called porridge oats).

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=pinhead-oatmeal
    What is Pinhead Oatmeal?

The oat grain consists of the outer husk and the inner grain, or groat. The traditional way of milling oats is to take the oat, remove the outer layer and cut the remainder into about three small pieces. This is how we make Odlums Pinhead Oatmeal.

They steam and roll out oats so they are much faster to cook as porridge. Now your mother may have once seen some brand with the "rolled oats" spelt out leading to confusion, but regular oatflakes is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I just checked the bag of Flahevans (sp?) Jumbo Oat Flakes that I have in the press and from what I read on the packet they seem to be rolled oats, although they aren't called rolled oats. They look like rolled oats and the description of how they are made seems similar to the Wikipedia definition of rolled oats. I could be totally wrong though.

I use Flavahans jumbo oat flakes when a recipe asks for rolled oats.
    At the above post says, they are large flat oat flakes that look like they have been rolled.

Advertisement