Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Head to Head

Options
  • 22-08-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

Wanted to treat my wife to a nice meal for our 14th anniversary. We don't splurge often so this is a really big treat. We've been wanting to go to Ard Bia for years but all the talk here recently about Kai got me interested.

So I've ended up with reservations for both and have to decide. And I'm leaving it up to you. Whichever tops the vote is where we'll go.

Where should we go? 7 votes

Ard Bia
    0% 0 votes
    Kai
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I haven't been to Ard Bia but I was in Kai and was pretty disappointed, wouldn't go back for a special dinner night, so I voted Ard Bia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Kai, definitely. Have eaten in both several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

pemtca wrote: »
    Kai, definitely. Have eaten in both several times.

Wow, you must be a gourmand! Kai isn't open that long is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Mmmm, how come you didn't give the Supermacs option? I guess that's why I'm single :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Kai for me too. I like Ard Bia but have found it too hit and miss for the prices they charge.
    Kai is lovely; really relaxing and a lovely atmosphere. Just be aware the menu is fairly small and contains a lot of fish. I love fish so it is fine but it may not suit all. :)

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Wow, you must be a gourmand! Kai isn't open that long is it?
    We live near it! We went shortly after it opened to check it out, then went back for both mine & husband's birthdays in the last month! Went for brunch one Sunday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Kai all the way, have been there four times, yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

pemtca wrote: »
    We live near it! We went shortly after it opened to check it out, then went back for both mine & husband's birthdays in the last month! Went for brunch one Sunday too.

Lucky you! I'd love to frequent either frequently :)

Kai's lovely, only been at lunches and launches there, but having dinner this week.

Ard Bia has a place in my heart though, partly because I love that building so much.

Kai's deffo popular with the hip kids though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I haven't been to ard bia in years but loved it, don't know if it's still good.
    Went to Kai and was very disappointed with my meal, my OH's meal was lovely but I ordered a roast chicken salad that was 50% cold soggy chicken skin.
    The staff I felt were very disinterested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

tootired wrote: »
    chicken salad that was 50% cold soggy chicken skin.

yyyyyyyyyyyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ok, based on the will of the people I have cancelled Ard Bia. Was a bit nervous of the speed of their service as we have plans after dinner and they were pushing us for a later reservation.

Hmm, a few mixed reviews with Kai. I might skip the chicken and try the fish. Won't get our expectations too high. Will report back tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Hah, nice to see Ard Bia catching up! It's still on our list for another special occassion.

So we had a really nice dinner at Kai last night. My wife got the crab pot and I got a duck and plumb salad. The crab pot came in this little jar and some salad sides. We didn't quite know what to make of it. It just seemed like mayo and fresh crab but there were layers of other flavours in there. My wife described it as "moreish"! The duck slices in the salad were dry and needed seasoning and the dressing had too much twang but it was still good and I cleaned my plate.

You're right to be prepared for fish. There were 2 options, the monkfish and hake and we went for both. Now I must say the monkfish my wife got was out of this world! It was definitely 5 stars. Incredibly seasoned with fried potato medalions and veg. My hake was on a beautiful warm butterbean and tomato mash. The flavours of this dominated and the hake added nothing but sustenance. Would rate that 3 out of 5 stars.

Unfortuantely no time for desert but didn't see anything too tempting anyhow. Service was casual, friendly, and deadly efficient. Very nice experience.

All in all really impressed and my wife wants to go back. 4 of 5 stars I reckon.

Glad ye enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hey Newkie,
    Good to hear that you enjoyed it thought it is a pity that everything wasn't wow; especially as they have 'treat' prices!

Just to throw a spanner in the works; I would head to Oscars before Ard Bia!! :)

Advertisement