Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

A V A wrote: »
    sometimes i wish there was a dis-like button on boards , dont find anything baaaawww about that picture above

You might not, but the kid in the wheelchair would.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Pups learning to howl
    Couldn't stop laughing
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vridzzySNkc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

kupus wrote: »
    You might not, but the kid in the wheelchair would.

why would the kid in the wheelchair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Going purely by the picture, the fella in the wheelchair is used to eating alone because people are assholes regarding his disability and stay away. These 2 football/baseball whatever players came over and sat with him as opposed to with the no doubt fawning fans because he was on his own.

Not saying he needed or wanted them to but their intentions were in the right place.

You knew what this pic was about so stop pretending you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Heckler wrote: »
    Going purely by the picture, the fella in the wheelchair is used to eating alone because people are assholes regarding his disability and stay away. These 2 football/baseball whatever players came over and sat with him as opposed to with the no doubt fawning fans because he was on his own.

Patronising much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Patronising much?

Who is being patronised here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Patronising much?

Going by the picture guy on the right is relaxed legs open.
    Hunched forward, body open, head listening intently to what the guy in the wheelchair is saying.
    Guy in middle is just eating his burger.
    Wheelchair guy face is some what animated which indicates happiness, also hunched in a forward position as if he is talking away with the other guy. And he seems content with that.

Meaning they both feel equal with each other.

Guy in the middle is just eating his burger! but he is still leaning in a way that his body is open towards the wheelchair guy which also indicates he is listening.

Too many times I have seen people talking with disabled people because its the thing to be seen doing. Thats been patronising and in my eyes they shouldnt even bother because their body language gives them away all too easily.

Different perspective is all. Maybe not baaaw but nice picture all the same.

Now back to baaaaaaaaaw
    .....rSuQ8Vm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

kupus wrote: »
    Going by the picture guy on the right is relaxed legs open.
    Hunched forward, body open, head listening intently to what the guy in the wheelchair is saying.
    Guy in middle is just eating his burger.
    Wheelchair guy face is some what animated which indicates happiness, also hunched in a forward position as if he is talking away with the other guy. And he seems content with that.

Meaning they both feel equal with each other.

Guy in the middle is just eating his burger! but he is still leaning in a way that his body is open towards the wheelchair guy which also indicates he is listening.

Too many times I have seen people talking with disabled people because its the thing to be seen doing. Thats been patronising and in my eyes they shouldnt even bother because their body language gives them away all too easily.

How is it baw?????
    That was the point!
    And I felt what you had said, along with the other poster posting the picture in the 'baw' thread in the first place - Those things are what's patronising - Not the guys talking to a guy in a wheelchair!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

How is it baw?????
    That was the point!
    And I felt what you had said, along with the other poster posting the picture in the 'baw' thread in the first place - Those things are what's patronising - Not the guys talking to a guy in a wheelchair!

I thought the pic being posted in the BAW thread implied:
    BAWWWW Look at the poor guy in the wheelchair, lets talk to him.

this is my exact point and why i replied the way i did, people see the wheel chair and not the person ,sometimes they see the person and judge them from their own person idiotic ways and perspective !!!
    if someone else was sitting on their own would they think , "hey they're sitting on their own lets go sit beside them an not make him feel left out" ?
    maybe he wants to be alone anyway or like to eat in silence and not be bothered like i do :P (while eating)
    and this whole bullsh*t american football attitude of "we must do good" and this sh*t (dont get me started ) :mad::P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Heckler wrote: »

Not saying he needed or wanted them to but their intentions were in the right place.

You knew what this pic was about so stop pretending you didn't.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Patser

Sorry for not posting a Baww picture and for more chat but regarding that 'Athletes sitting with disabled guy' pic that caused all the fuss above, Cracked mentioned it today. Turns out they're all friends and have been for quite a while. There was nothing 'charitable' about it. For the lads involved it was just another normal day and they were unaware they were being photoed.

Cracked article below with link to real story

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-ludicrous-viral-photos-you-thought-were-real/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Patser wrote: »
    Sorry for not posting a Baww picture and for more chat but regarding that 'Athletes sitting with disabled guy' pic that caused all the fuss above, Cracked mentioned it today. Turns out they're all friends and have been for quite a while. There was nothing 'charitable' about it. For the lads involved it was just another normal day and they were unaware they were being photoed.

Cracked article below with link to real story

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-ludicrous-viral-photos-you-thought-were-real/

Oh, it's ok. Seems the Mods don't mind all the off-topic chat and pointless arguing. Either that, or the Report button isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

QUICKLY! DISTRACT EVERYONE WITH SILLY GOATS!

Half BAW, Half not so BAW...

1392003_691941217493559_1129154627_n.jpg

Prepare to reach a new level of cuteness....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

waveform wrote: »
    Prepare to reach a new level of cuteness..

Its less cute when you realize they he is grasping the spoon out of fear and that videos like this are basically killing the slow lorris as a species.

Wiki - Because of their "cuteness", viral videos of pet slow lorises are some of the mostly frequently watched animal videos on YouTube.[15][30] In March 2011, a newly posted video of a slow loris holding a cocktail umbrella had been viewed more than two million times, while an older video of a slow loris being tickled had been viewed more than six million times.[48] Most viewers do not realize that the slow loris pet trade is illegal or that the docile behavior of the animals in the videos is a passive defensive reaction for dealing with stress.[15][48] For instance, according to Nekaris, the slow loris with the umbrella—who was suffering from a head wound—was disoriented in the video by the bright lights and was grasping the umbrella like it would a piece of bamboo from its native habitat. Nekaris requested that YouTube remove the videos, but the UK-based newspaper, The Independent, reported that YouTube declined to comment on the slow loris videos

Its less cute when you realize they he is grasping the spoon out of fear and that videos like this are basically killing the slow lorris as a species.

How can you say for sure its grasping the spoon out of fear though?

If they're used to grasping bamboo in the wild, then It's hard to tell if it's really doing it out of fear or just doing it to hold something.

I also don't think it would be eating if it was stressed.

Also from the video description:

"Her name is Kinako. She has teeth and is domestically bred. Kinako was born
    in a Japanese pet shop."

If she was born in a shop she would be used to domestication and would not be in fear.

Besides that little point though, it is very sad to see it couped up in a cage, or any creature for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

waveform wrote: »
    How can you say for sure its grasping the spoon out of fear though?

If they're used to grasping bamboo in the wild, then It's hard to tell if it's really doing it out of fear or just doing it to hold something.

I also don't think it would be eating if it was stressed.

Also from the video description:

"Her name is Kinako. She has teeth and is domestically bred. Kinako was born
    in a Japanese pet shop."

If she was born in a shop she would be used to domestication and would not be in fear.

Besides that little point though, it is very sad to see it couped up in a cage, or any creature for that matter.

Did you even bother to read the wiki or the sources quoted on it?

The best answer to your question though is the fact that the loris has a vastly reduced lifespan in captivity then in the wild. Which is the exact opposite of a domesticated animal.

• Advertisement

Did you even bother to read the wiki or the sources quoted on it?

The best answer to your question though is the fact that the loris has a vastly reduced lifespan in captivity then in the wild. Which is the exact opposite of a domesticated animal.

My question to you was specifically about the Loris in the video I posted,
    I was asking you how do you know for sure it was holding the spoon out of fear.
    I was not asking about any other videos that are mentioned in the wiki.

I read the paragraph you quoted from wiki, I did not read the entire page.

And I do share your opinion on "domestication" of these animals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

1457529_651753674877641_468253682_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

daily-morning-awesomeness-110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

b87f07ca712df92d7c9d8d63cc49995225615a7e1501805122203df45f36a74c.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

1468771_1785969538124956_1540945106_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What 3 year old chefs get up to :D

If the father looks familiar it's because he's an TV actor (from the series 'Supernatural').

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

^^^^

That post Chucken could also be put into Photos That Shook the World - especially the one where all the survivors stand up.

He is/was an amazing man. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A proud family :)

1460230_610072535713131_941392083_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    ^^^^

That post Chucken could also be put into Photos That Shook the World - especially the one where all the survivors stand up.

He is/was an amazing man. Thanks

Video here if interested.

Really heart warming and made me cry a bit...

Advertisement