Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancies at Munster Express

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

A sign of things to come for the News & Star or will their sales rise? Most people I know bought both papers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Exactly,

I don't buy the paper for reasons the majority of us know and that I won't get into but I'd never want to see this happen to anywhere. very sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Wonder where the "outsourcing" will go?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wonder what that will mean for the printing of the WIT paper, they generally do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Thats a balls. I only ever read the court pages to see who I know but its bad that people are loosing jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not in printing or anything like that but surely for the relatively small amount of papers they print per week and they own their own equipment that it would be cheaper to print it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

ziedth wrote: »
    Exactly,

I don't buy the paper for reasons the majority of us know and that I won't get into but I'd never want to see this happen to anywhere. very sad news.

i dont know?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm not in printing or anything like that but surely for the relatively small amount of papers they print per week and they own their own equipment that it would be cheaper to print it yourself?

Printing equipment is expensive to run and maintain. Ink, Paper etc. Afaik they did other college papers also, and offered good value. Shame if its impacted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully wrote: »
    Printing equipment is expensive to run and maintain. Ink, Paper etc. Afaik they did other college papers also, and offered good value. Shame if its impacted
    Don't they have the intarweb in WIT yet? :)

Sad to see those jobs lost though. It was probably hard for the Muster Express to compete with Waterford Today.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

It is a paper that never moved with the times.
    I always found it a mish mash of stories & photographs.
    Still though, it's sad to see it come to this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sully wrote: »
    Wonder what that will mean for the printing of the WIT paper, they generally do it..
    I think we might be going online only for a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

If you do go online just use pdf's dont do any of that fancy page turning website stuff. you would get a larger readership and no printing costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Unfortunately this was only a matter of time. There's no market in the city for 3 local papers but hopefully they'll hang in there as long as they can.

The News & Star will be fine though. If anything locals are the safest of all print media and if the N&S get an increase in readership because of this then I'd hope they take on some of the old Munster staff in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I never really liked the main section (always seemed to be 1/3 obituaries and jobs), but always read the Sport and Entertainment part.

They only celebrated their 150th Anniversary a while back.

If anyone can find me the munster express ad from Waterford@8 gets a cookie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They have moved to one edition of the paper over the past few months, so there was no late edition on Friday. So I'd say that impacted on them meaning less work to do.

I work in a newsagent and I thought the sales for the one and only edition would rise but hasn't at all. In fact News and Star outsells it, but that may vary now in different areas in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder how much revenue they raise through classifieds these days, its been an age since I bought a copy but I'll assume they carry but a fraction of the ads for cars, tellies etc as compared to a decade ago. Add in the general scaling back of advertising spend combined with possibly reduced column inch rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Any word on where the work is being outsourced to?

I've long felt that we've far too many papers in the county, none of them covering news and sport to anywhere like the depth or quality of say The Kerryman or perhaps the old Cork Examiner. Would we be better off with one good quality product rather than four or five average ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

hardybuck wrote: »
    Any word on where the work is being outsourced to?

I've long felt that we've far too many papers in the county, none of them covering news and sport to anywhere like the depth or quality of say The Kerryman or perhaps the old Cork Examiner. Would we be better off with one good quality product rather than four or five average ones?

The Irish Times have a modern printing facility in City West in Dublin that was always intended to look for outsourced business, so that seems like an obvious candidate.

It's not simply a case of overall quality, it's also a case of getting content tailored to your market. People will take a hit in quality for local, tailored content, which you will not get from the Irish Times, Independent, etc. Every publication that was ever produced had a bias or perspective of some description that all news was filtered through. If you want a Waterford viewpoint then you need an organ of the media that will present facts/commentary from that viewpoint. I would also see it as a negative development if we only ended up a few papers in Ireland because then you only have a few viewpoints in Ireland. It's not clear that social media -- as it currently stands -- can address this issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Newspress in Kells are apparently a big player in that market also.

I wasn't comparing the Munster to national papers like the Irish Times - I was comparing them to local papers which cover a whole county. The Evening Echo in Cork is another example - and they manage to pump that out daily!

Obviously Waterford is a small county, we don't have the ability to sustain four-five independant newspapers of a decent quality. These makes the situation worse as people stop buying them as lately there is almost nothing to read in them.

One good quality paper for Waterford county is all we need realistically rather than a choice of mediocre efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

merlante wrote: »
    The Irish Times have a modern printing facility in City West in Dublin that was always intended to look for outsourced business, so that seems like an obvious candidate..

I presume you mean http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.292002,-6.433954&spn=0.000051,0.077162&z=14&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.291967,-6.434344&panoid=ARRfTWk__279PTMD_ir5gQ&cbp=12,192.36,,0,-1.36

I thought it belonged to Independent News & Media?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bards wrote: »
    I thought it belonged to Independent News & Media?

It does, atleast on google maps thats what the sign outside the building says :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Complete bollux of a "Newspaper". As is WLR as a radio station. But we read it and listen to it because it's local and maybe we might read or hear a bit of gossip on them.

Tough luck though on the guys who are going. But (I assume) most of them will be near retirement age anyway and a redundancy lump sum will be a better send off than a watch.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Godsentme wrote: »
    Tough luck though on the guys who are going. But (I assume) most of them will be near retirement age anyway and a redundancy lump sum will be a better send off than a watch.:p

Don't think too many are near retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 blueboy123

Very sad news. Always liked the sports part, covered all local sports pretty well, never thought there was enough news stuff in it though!

blueboy123 wrote: »
    Very sad news. Always liked the sports part, covered all local sports pretty well, never thought there was enough news stuff in it though!
    The paper itself is continuing. It is just the print side of things that is being outsourced according to the report.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

I’m glad someone pointed out that it’s not gone, it’s just having to rationalise its costs.

I think that a local paper which has been in existence for 150 years should be supported by all of us. If we allow the newer forms of news media such as Twitter and Facebook take over from this type of established reporting then we are embarking on a slippery slope. These are usually uncorroborated and filled with hearsay and gossip. I prefer to live in the real world of fact not fantasy and rumour.

I think that we should get behind our own local paper to ensure its survival. The Munster Express is owned and run by Waterford people, there is no Rupert Murdoch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 blueboy123

jmcc wrote: »
    The paper itself is continuing. It is just the print side of things that is being outsourced according to the report.

Regards...jmcc

Oh yeah I knew that, but with it losing so many staff is very sad! Wonder will the size, supplements etc be reduced too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Silverado wrote: »
    I’m glad someone pointed out that it’s not gone, it’s just having to rationalise its costs.

I think that a local paper which has been in existence for 150 years should be supported by all of us. If we allow the newer forms of news media such as Twitter and Facebook take over from this type of established reporting then we are embarking on a slippery slope. These are usually uncorroborated and filled with hearsay and gossip. I prefer to live in the real world of fact not fantasy and rumour.

I think that we should get behind our own local paper to ensure its survival. The Munster Express is owned and run by Waterford people, there is no Rupert Murdoch.

Eh? What reporting? When did the Munster ever do anything other than the most basic "bog-cutting" hackery and PR re-writing? I must have missed the
    in depth articles and 'shine a light' stories that win awards.

Remember old Smokey Joes holiday articles? That's just about the level the Munster occupies.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Eh? What reporting? When did the Munster ever do anything other than the most basic "bog-cutting" hackery and PR re-writing? I must have missed the
    in depth articles and 'shine a light' stories that win awards.
    It is amazing how people just don't understand the different forms of journalism. The local newspapers tend to make a lot of money from BDM or Births, Deaths and Marriages. Then come the classified adverts. The shift from print to online for classifieds and for general news over the last twenty years or so has impacted all local level newspapers and has even hit the nationals. Strangely the BDM sites have not done well on the web because of the local aspect.
    Remember old Smokey Joes holiday articles? That's just about the level the Munster occupies.
    Compared to some of the sh!te that passes for "journalism" in the Oirish Times or the Sindo today, they were masterpieces of travel reportage. Remember they were from a time when most people did not travel outside of Ireland for their holidays. He also covered each of the Olympics from the 1940s up to the 1980s I think.

The local newpapers aren't about national issues except when they impinge on local events.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement