Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Hey, repeating unfortunately and redoing the hpat too.
    i did the med----entry course last year and say i'll prob do it again this year.
    just wondering yno the way you get a discount for repeating? this may be abit optimistic but just wondering if anyone knows if you can avail of both the group discount and repeating discount? :p

My reading of the M** E***y website is you will get a discount as a repeat student-doubt you will get two!!

Does anyone think of doing a "gap" year??
    Say you have really good LC at least 550+but not good hpat
    Some people seem to be determined to go to College to do Science etc but really want medicine and are repeating hpat( and probably doing a course).
    Why not take a gap year similar to many UK students??
    A lot of people are forgetting that if you have done a year in College you (or your parents) will be liable for first year medicine fees-no change from €9,000!!! Plus if you live away from home not a lot of change from €10,000 I would presume. Obviously you need feeding even if you are at home but should be less than that.
    It is at the college's discretion if they allow you into 1st med having done an equivelant course to premed. Do not take it as a given-you must always ask and clarify in advance.
    This is lot of money but especially in these times.
    What do people think??

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Have the results for the HPAT 2011 been released publicly yet? Like the country as a whole?

yup under results on the page

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I used to coordinate a HPAT prep course and the HPAT folder on my computer has literally hundreds of files on critical thinking, logical reasoning, nonverbal reasoning, aptitude tests, brainteasers... as well as gigabytes of sample questions in section 1, 2, 3 categories. (Not infrequently without official answers though.)

If anyone would like me to email them some of the above anytime, send me a PM with your email address and any area in particular you're looking for. See what you can get for free before shelling out to M*curse*y!

Mods, would you like to make this post a sticky?

Its like €225 in Cork, unless someone's not telling me something I should already know... :rolleyes:

ye i ment fees then the 250 r watever 4 vaccines screening most dublin ones 250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Partyatmygaff...the survey would be interesting but I don't know how you would go about proving that they are valid results.
    Well I was thinking more of a verification system where anyone with above average scores (Say 170+) would need to provide evidence of their score in the form of their results email or a screenshot from the CAO e.t.c. It's not perfect but I need to keep a balance between stringent verification and ease of use.
    Everyone I know that repeated the HPAT went up in their 2nd year of doing it, most of them didn't do a prep course, some did. I think that due to circumstances the 2nd time around, like not having the LC to worry about (as a lot are in college already), having experience of the timing and procedures for the day, as well as possibly being a little bit less stressed out about it than first timers, all contribute to the scores.

I think its a good idea, but there would be no way to tell if people who did a prep course would not have had a high score without it. Chances are that a lot of people would use the survey as evidence that they NEED a course to do well, simply because people went up after doing one, but they may well have been able to do it on their own.
    I'm attempting to split it so that we can see the difference between those who repeat with a prep course and those who repeat without. The spreadsheet work to organise and separate all that data is the reason why I'm taking so long to launch the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anthonybeta

quick quesion:

as a repeat i know i cant drop any matricular subjects:
    this means English maths and Irish

also, ill need chemistry and biology.

then the 6th would be physics for me

however, i also have a high standard of Spanish (got an A in leaving)

i can't drop English (my worst) but can i do pass English and still be able
    to do hpat and medicine?
    someone please respond and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

quick quesion:

as a repeat i know i cant drop any matricular subjects:
    this means English maths and Irish

also, ill need chemistry and biology.

then the 6th would be physics for me

however, i also have a high standard of Spanish (got an A in leaving)

i can't drop English (my worst) but can i do pass English and still be able
    to do hpat and medicine?
    someone please respond and thank you

yes you can, you could take maths english, and irish at ol if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

jenny18 wrote: »
    ye i ment fees then the 250 r watever 4 vaccines screening most dublin ones 250

Apologies, I made a complete bags of reading your original comment, ignore me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well I was thinking more of a verification system where anyone with above average scores (Say 170+) would need to provide evidence of their score in the form of their results email or a screenshot from the CAO e.t.c. It's not perfect but I need to keep a balance between stringent verification and ease of use.

Sorry, I knew valid was the wrong word to use :P

I meant more in the lines of...how could you prove that 200 as a result is due to the prep course? Could they have gotten it on their own? My score when I did it was fairly high, I didn't do a course, but if I did, I would accredit my score to the fact that I did a prep course...wrongly.

I don't mean to confuse things :P But there is really no way to show whether or not a course had an effect, and I'd be concerned that people will be convinced they need one if they see a survey showing that people who did one got a high result, either on the first or second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 bamhaithliom

Novella wrote: »
    I'm looking into Queens University in Belfast myself. Apparently they take Junior Cert results over Leaving Cert?! Crazy!

I know your post is from a few days back but I also applied to QUB Medicine last year. For the most part they don't do interviews like many of the UK uni's for med. They use your personal statement, UKCAT score and JC results to assess your suitability. Your JC results can also be used to assess the accuracy of predicted LC grades. Also they don't have high regard for repeat students, who are usually called for interview and must produce a valid reason for repeat (ie. illness, bereavement) to be offered a conditional place. I got offered a conditional place, the condition was that I achieved 5 A1s which I didn't but was offered my first choice (TCD) here anyways so I didn't need it. It's interesting to note that QUB are one of the only UK colleges to use A1s instead of just As in general when assessing LC results. Good luck with your application, QUB is a beautiful college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SocktorSC

ADP11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm also thinking about registering for the me...try prep course! Does anyone want to sign up together to get the discount?
    Cheers:)
    Yeah definitely pm me :)

I know your post is from a few days back but I also applied to QUB Medicine last year. For the most part they don't do interviews like many of the UK uni's for med. They use your personal statement, UKCAT score and JC results to assess your suitability. Your JC results can also be used to assess the accuracy of predicted LC grades. Also they don't have high regard for repeat students, who are usually called for interview and must produce a valid reason for repeat (ie. illness, bereavement) to be offered a conditional place. I got offered a conditional place, the condition was that I achieved 5 A1s which I didn't but was offered my first choice (TCD) here anyways so I didn't need it. It's interesting to note that QUB are one of the only UK colleges to use A1s instead of just As in general when assessing LC results. Good luck with your application, QUB is a beautiful college.

In fact Manchester and Queen Mary London also use A1's.

I saved you all the work and put the MINIMUM LC grades for medical school entry via ucas here-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365715

Very interesting Belfast no interview-shows how important your personal statement is in UK-often people do it the night before!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

So as a mother of a LC who wants to do med, would you guys recommend particular HPAT prep course?

So as a mother of a LC who wants to do med, would you guys recommend particular HPAT prep course?

personnaly i didnt do a prep course last year and got 179 80th percentile. i would suggest buying the two hpat books acer provides first and seeing how they do in those if the score is very low then possibly med
    entry course. the only section that can really be improved on is section 3. it's also worth keeping in mind that every question isnt worth the same amount of marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Well there's 2 main ones I know of.

The first is in the Institute of Education in Dublin.. I've heard good things about it and I'm going to be doing it in October. http://www.ioe.ie/parttime/hpat-prep-course.html

The second is Med.Entry. I personally haven't heard about it but the website is here: http://www.********-hpat.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 princesspower

swimstar wrote: »
    I'm ready to register for a preparation course for HPAT - noticed that there is a significant discount if I register with one other person.

Anyone interested in registering together?

No obligation to do the course at the same time or even in the same centre.

I willing to register with you, I learnt Med entry is very good in Hpat prep

• Registered Users Posts: 2 princesspower

Hi everyone,
    I'm also thinking about registering for the me...try prep course! Does anyone want to sign up together to get the discount?
    Yes, I'm looking for someone as well

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭millix

M*d*n*ry / discount / save 220 euro / 2012 hpat
    I want to do the med-entry course ( Ireland ) but don't want to pay 570 euro ...

I am hoping to save 220 euro from the med-hpat-entry platinum package 2011/2012 - please send me a message as soon as possible so that we can get the group discount

Thanks - Millix

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tankosaurus

I'm a repeat student and want to do medicine after school. Obviously I sat the leaving cert last year, as well as the hpat but what I'm wondering is for the leaving cert next year, 2012, what subjects can I drop? I took up 7 subjects last year including English, Irish, maths and French. I know that one must do the core subjects e.g. English,Irish and maths, in the sitting of the leaving cert that someone wants to use for points in medicine. I got b2's in English and Irish last year so getting a high grade next year wont be too dificult,same with maths as I got an a2 last year. What I really dont want to do next year is french as too be honest I absulutely hate french, any othersubject regardless of the workload I wont mind but french I cannot stand. So do I need to sit french next year since I passed it last year as i got a c2 in honours? I know a thrid language is required for all colleges but it's just to pass it once, I hope this is the case for medicine too.

• Advertisement

Oh I forgot to mention that the colleges I would like to study medicine in are NUIG,UCD and RCSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm a repeat student and want to do medicine after school. Obviously I sat the leaving cert last year, as well as the hpat but what I'm wondering is for the leaving cert next year, 2012, what subjects can I drop? I took up 7 subjects last year including English, Irish, maths and French. I know that one must do the core subjects e.g. English,Irish and maths, in the sitting of the leaving cert that someone wants to use for points in medicine. I got b2's in English and Irish last year so getting a high grade next year wont be too dificult,same with maths as I got an a2 last year. What I really dont want to do next year is french as too be honest I absulutely hate french, any othersubject regardless of the workload I wont mind but french I cannot stand. So do I need to sit french next year since I passed it last year as i got a c2 in honours? I know a thrid language is required for all colleges but it's just to pass it once, I hope this is the case for medicine too.

As Medicine is a restricted course you need to meet matriculation all in one sitting.

I think TCD is the only med school that doesn't require a 3rd language, So i'm afraid you will have to repeat French. Soz.

As Medicine is a restricted course you need to meet matriculation all in one sitting.

I think TCD is the only med school that doesn't require a 3rd language, So i'm afraid you will have to repeat French. Soz.

Bollox, I feared that. Well thanks for replying anyway, That free class everyday would have really helped though :/

Bollox, I feared that. Well thanks for replying anyway, That free class everyday would have really helped though :/

You could drop to pass in it, as long as you get an Ordinary Level D3 in it you can get into medicine. Do you have 6 strong honours subjects besides?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭millix

Hi everyone,
    Yes, I'm looking for someone as well

Are you still looking for someone for the group rate deal for the med-entry Hpat course? Let me know if you are interested and I can send you on my details. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Would be handy if there was a designated thread for HPAT discount lookers so it wouldn't clog up this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

hey guys, kind of lost at the moment in terms of cao and applications to the hpat... can someone give me a breakdown of the deadlines for things and the different things i need to sign up for? I seen on the trininty medicine requirements you have to sign up for the hpat by the 20th of this month, and to do that, you need your cao number, i dont even knowwhat i do to sign up for cao? do i do it in my own time at time? or in school with the guidance counceller?

hey guys, kind of lost at the moment in terms of cao and applications to the hpat... can someone give me a breakdown of the deadlines for things and the different things i need to sign up for? I seen on the trininty medicine requirements you have to sign up for the hpat by the 20th of this month, and to do that, you need your cao number, i dont even knowwhat i do to sign up for cao? do i do it in my own time at time? or in school with the guidance counceller?

Hey there :) From the HPAT website:

Registrations for HPAT-Ireland 2012 will open in early November 2011. Standard registrations will close at 5.15pm GMT on 20 January 2012. Late registrations will be accepted until 5.15pm GMT on 1 February 2012 on payment of a late fee of €65 in addition to the registration fee.

So you have lots of time for that!

Your school should be signing you all up to the CAO sometime around November. Do you know if you have a careers class or something similiar? Either way, the guidance counsellor should get you all set up, so you pay for the CAO and then get your number.

After that, sign up for the hpat in your own time. I think that for the centres its first come first served so you might want to register early if you're going for a centre close by to you.

You HAVE to have medicine on your CAO by the 1st of February 2012. The CAO closes fully in July, so up til then you can swap around your order and add other courses (Science, etc) but because medicine is a restricted course (due to the hpat) it HAS to be down on the form by the first closing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

thanks dude, much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

jenny18 wrote: »
    aaaah panic just seen ucc 2012-2013 procpectus for medicine max points now 550 unless you do honours maths then up to 575. dunno what way there altering this year

How do you mean? Link?

Advertisement