Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

How do you mean? Link?

in carrers today there was the ucc prospectus 2012-2013 it said in entry requirements you must achieve 480-550 you may get 575 if you do honours maths as bonus points are added. i do honours but im not getting an a1 so anyone good at it has unfair advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

jenny18 wrote: »
    aaaah panic just seen ucc 2012-2013 procpectus for medicine max points now 550 unless you do honours maths then up to 575. dunno what way there altering this year

I'd imagine it was 565 rather than 575, which would be in line with the idea of getting a single medicine point for every 5 CAO points you get after 550, just this year there is a maximum of 625 rather than 600 like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

anyone good at it has unfair advantage
    by that logic, anyone who works hard in school has an ''unfair advantage'' in the leaving cert in general, or someone who practices tennis 5 times per week has an ''unfair advantage'' over someone who never plays...... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

in carrers today there was the ucc prospectus 2012-2013 it said in entry requirements you must achieve 480-550 you may get 575 if you do honours maths as bonus points are added. i do honours but im not getting an a1 so anyone good at it has unfair advantage

I think you'll get the 25 points once you pass the honours paper. This will only count as 5 points in terms of medicine though, so the 560 max should now be 565.

by that logic, anyone who works hard in school has an ''unfair advantage'' in the leaving cert in general, or someone who practices tennis 5 times per week has an ''unfair advantage'' over someone who never plays...... :p

being good at maths is actually a specific type of inteligence like personally im better at sciences others are great at arts. i work my ass of in maths spend 3 times as much time on it as my other subjects and got a d2 this year whereas my bestfriend just did normal classwork and got a b1. im a repeat. got a a1 in biology and putin basic effort. so yes in my opinion anyone who has a natural apptitude for maths has an unfair advantage. but il put up the points for a subject ur crap at and then see your opinion on the topic

• Advertisement

I think you'll get the 25 points once you pass the honours paper. This will only count as 5 points in terms of medicine though, so the 560 max should now be 565.

thats exactly what i thought hence why i dunno whats going on. im presuming that in the legislation on the introduction of maths points it stated that the fulll 25 must be given. thats definitely what the prospectus said me two other students and the teacher looked at it but anyone going to higher options this week can check if they think im wrong. only reason i posted was to see if anyone knew how there altering it because im lost

thats exactly what i thought hence why i dunno whats going on. im presuming that in the legislation on the introduction of maths points it stated that the fulll 25 must be given. thats definitely what the prospectus said me two other students and the teacher looked at it but anyone going to higher options this week can check if they think im wrong. only reason i posted was to see if anyone knew how there altering it because im lost

No, they couldn't possibly give it a full 25 points, I haven't heard anything official I don't think, but if they continue with the pattern of every 5 points after 550 being 1 point, then 625 will just be 565.

No, they couldn't possibly give it a full 25 points, I haven't heard anything official I don't think, but if they continue with the pattern of every 5 points after 550 being 1 point, then 625 will just be 565.
    this from ucc online procpectus
    Additional Requirements
    480-550 Leaving Cert points (or equivalent)
    and successful completion of the HPAT
    (Ireland) within the 2-year period immediately
    preceding admission to the Medicine
    programme.
    Matriculation and Points Requirements must
    be met at the same sitting of the Leaving
    Certificate (or equivalent
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/what/download/index.html
    go to download the general info section of the procpectus
    pg 60

This is what I'm finding through that link:

"CK701: Leaving Certificate Additional Requirements: Students are required to achieve a minimum of 480 Leaving Certificate points and meet the subject requirements for matriculation in the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate (or equivalent). Students are also required to present the required Admissions Test (HPAT-Ireland) completed within the 2-year period immediately preceding admission to the Medicine programme."

This is what I'm finding through that link:

"CK701: Leaving Certificate Additional Requirements: Students are required to achieve a minimum of 480 Leaving Certificate points and meet the subject requirements for matriculation in the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate (or equivalent). Students are also required to present the required Admissions Test (HPAT-Ireland) completed within the 2-year period immediately preceding admission to the Medicine programme."

thats the medicine section you looked in its the general info section
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/GENERAL-INFORMATION.pdf

not sure were the bonus points thing is was in the one in school and as you can see it was updated today so could of changed again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

thats the medicine section you looked in its the general info section
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/GENERAL-INFORMATION.pdf

not sure were the bonus points thing is was in the one in school and as you can see it was updated today so could of changed again
    Tbh I wouldn't read too much into that.

To be in schools to-day, that prospectus probably went to print 2 months ago before the colleges had decided exactly how they're going to deal with the Hons Maths extra points issue (if they have yet); plus the *very* limited info there is probably an attempt by an Admissions person to summarise a 2 page doc into 1 or two lines, for that matter.

I would wait for the "Entry to Medicine" section on the CAO site to be updated; it's more likely to have a clear and definitive explanation of how it will be done, and one which the colleges have all been consulted about and agreed upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Sure you are right. However it must be remembered if you get 525 LC points then your honours maths is worth 25 points!! After 550 I cannot see it being any different from the current 1 point for each 5 giving a potential LC maximum of 665 rather than 660.
    A much more interesting question is do you need higher level maths to be a good doctor-over to boards.ie!!

drrkpd wrote: »
    Sure you are right. However it must be remembered if you get 525 LC points then your honours maths is worth 25 points!! After 550 I cannot see it being any different from the current 1 point for each 5 giving a potential LC maximum of 565 rather than 560.
    A much more interesting question is do you need higher level maths to be a good doctor-over to boards.ie!!

in one way i can get why honors maths is good as those who are good at maths are good at logical analytic thinking
    but it also has its disadvantages as those who specifically think in that way generally get stuck on one path as was seen with 2011 paper 1 students were freaking out because they couldn't finish a question the way they thought they could
    another down fall is that those with great logical thinking aren't as good at emotional reasoning eg telling a patient there going to die and not understanding why they cant just hurry up and reach the conclusion of acceptance
    this is one of the reasons hpat was brought in to prevent purely intellectuals doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tophat

Hi everyone, apologies for clogging up the thread, but im in the market for the m** ent** discount too... if you are interested, message me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Hi Guys, the other day my friend was talking about some interview that has to be done for entry into undergrad medicine? Is this true? or is it just the LC results and HPAT? Thanks.

Hey guys, really confused here trying to sort out my cao and ucas ****, if anyone could help that would be great :)

Basically, I'm gonna put medicine as my top 5 or 6 choices on the cao form, and if i get accepted for one of those, thats great, but im applying to study medicine in the uk also, just as a backup, since iv heard its easier to get in to med school in the uk. (my neighbor didnt get the points to do it in ireland so went to England for a few years, now hes back home, and is a fully qualified neuro surgeon!)

So to be honest, im pretty lost regarding signing up for medicine in the uk, and i havnt got a clue how to sign up or what i need to do... so if any if you kind people could point me in the right direction, id be immensely grateful,
    cheers :)
    ps:
    My guidince counceller told me i need a referral from a teacher, which isnt a problem, and also the deadline is the 23rd, so its kind of urgent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Basically when applying to UCAS you need to register on their site, provide a personal statement, a reference from someone like a guidance teacher and your predicted grades. You must also sit the UKCAT (sort of like the HPAT) which you can do here in Ireland. Then you may choose 5 university courses to apply to, only 4 of which may be for medicine. Then if you make it past the first cut you are called to an interview after which you may be given a conditional offer (a place if you get say A's in Biology, Chemistry and Physics for example).

Having said that medicine is not "easier" to get in the UK per se, as they factor in your personal statement and interview you making the whole process a lot more subjective than over here. It's highly competitive so you really have to research the personal statements online to get an idea for what makes a good one.

Best of luck with your application!

thanks man really apreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heatproof

ADP11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm also thinking about registering for the me...try prep course! Does anyone want to sign up together to get the discount?
    Cheers:)

Yes. PM me as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heatproof

Guys i just wanna know, last year I got really nervous about the Hpat, like way too nervous, i didnt sleep the night before the test and i was too agitated to eat breakfast. If there is anybody out there that has done the Hpat succesfully can i get some tips please. I am repeating and to be honest Im scared that I will mess it up again. I know that I am not too bad at the Hpat. In the practice exams I managed to get around 85 out of 110 in both of them which i guess should count for something ! Anyways med is something i have always wanted to do and I guess the gravity of this exam cant be overlooked but I know I overdo it with the anxiousness. Any replies will be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

Hey guys, really confused here trying to sort out my cao and ucas ****, if anyone could help that would be great :)

Basically, I'm gonna put medicine as my top 5 or 6 choices on the cao form, and if i get accepted for one of those, thats great, but im applying to study medicine in the uk also, just as a backup, since iv heard its easier to get in to med school in the uk. (my neighbor didnt get the points to do it in ireland so went to England for a few years, now hes back home, and is a fully qualified neuro surgeon!)

So to be honest, im pretty lost regarding signing up for medicine in the uk, and i havnt got a clue how to sign up or what i need to do... so if any if you kind people could point me in the right direction, id be immensely grateful,
    cheers :)
    ps:
    My guidince counceller told me i need a referral from a teacher, which isnt a problem, and also the deadline is the 23rd, so its kind of urgent.

To save you some time I have put minimum LC grades for all ucas UK undergraduate medicine courses here-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365715

and Personal statement showing what you have learnt from any medical or caring experience VERY important!!

thanks dude^^

Hi Guys, the other day my friend was talking about some interview that has to be done for entry into undergrad medicine? Is this true? or is it just the LC results and HPAT? Thanks.

No interview just combined scores as above. Minister of Education looking at lots of changes- none for a long time!!!

Heatproof wrote: »
    Guys i just wanna know, last year I got really nervous about the Hpat, like way too nervous, i didnt sleep the night before the test and i was too agitated to eat breakfast. If there is anybody out there that has done the Hpat succesfully can i get some tips please. I am repeating and to be honest Im scared that I will mess it up again. I know that I am not too bad at the Hpat. In the practice exams I managed to get around 85 out of 110 in both of them which i guess should count for something ! Anyways med is something i have always wanted to do and I guess the gravity of this exam cant be overlooked but I know I overdo it with the anxiousness. Any replies will be greatly appreciated

from what you said seems less the hpat that's the problem and more stress. i got in 80Th percentile last year i'm a repeat didn't get the points. i think maybe if you did a prep course you would feel a little calmer because you can do practice tests and get graded. honestly though i think just something to relax you like rescue remedy or yoga. a little stress is good as adrenaline helps you think but if its so bad you cant do anything you should maybe even talk to your GP and see if there's anything he could suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tankosaurus

You could drop to pass in it, as long as you get an Ordinary Level D3 in it you can get into medicine. Do you have 6 strong honours subjects besides?

Yeah I'm just gonna do pass but do it on my own outside of school, I may turn up to a class or 2 just before the orals to make sure I dont fail.....

But yeah i have 7 other strong honours subjects so I should be grand pioints wise :)

Also can someone please confirm to me what they are doing with honours maths this year?

If I get 525 points +25 bonus points will my cao points be 550?

Or if I get 550 par sé (hope I spelled that right) + s5 bonus points will that be corrected to 555 points with the L.C. adjusted?

And of course will the maximum points from the L.C. now be 565? i.e. 625 adjusted

Yeah I'm just gonna do pass but do it on my own outside of school, I may turn up to a class or 2 just before the orals to make sure I dont fail.....

But yeah i have 7 other strong honours subjects so I should be grand pioints wise :)

Also can someone please confirm to me what they are doing with honours maths this year?

If I get 525 points +25 bonus points will my cao points be 550?

Or if I get 550 par sé (hope I spelled that right) + s5 bonus points will that be corrected to 555 points with the L.C. adjusted?

And of course will the maximum points from the L.C. now be 565? i.e. 625 adjusted

I was at rds higher options today and ucd, nuig and trinity are doing the same as last year every 5 over 550 = 1 point
    ucc is apparently doing something different where the max is 575 with honors maths but as the medicine director wasn't there today the woman couldn't elaborate.
    rcsi wasn't sure yet.
    sorry i cant be of more help.

I was at rds higher options today and ucd, nuig and trinity are doing the same as last year every 5 over 550 = 1 point
    ucc is apparently doing something different where the max is 575 with honors maths but as the medicine director wasn't there today the woman couldn't elaborate.
    rcsi wasn't sure yet.
    sorry i cant be of more help.

Oh, so it's still early days as to what they are going to do yet :/ Well thanks for giving me all that is availible anyway :)

Hmmm, I wonder if this is 625 adjusted or just anything above 550 and you used maths in your points :/

Hmmm, I wonder if this is 625 adjusted or just anything above 550 and you used maths in your points :/

i'm not sure i had previous posts about this as its in there prospectus in key requirements you need 480-550 unless you do honors maths then up to 575. but as its an nui i'm nearly sure they must have all the same system could be a typo perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 foxtrot hotel

Whats the deal with getting in if you are a mature student?
    ie, Im 24 (no college) got just over 300 points in the LC in 2006.
    Would I be a no no for medicine in NUIG?

Advertisement