Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Whats the deal with getting in if you are a mature student?
    ie, Im 24 (no college) got just over 300 points in the LC in 2006.
    Would I be a no no for medicine in NUIG?
    To get into graduate-entry medicine you need to get a 2:1 in a degree (not sure if it's gotta be Level 8 or not) and then get the required points in GAMSAT, which you'll find tonnes of info on if you Google it.

To get into undergraduate medicine, you need at least 480 points in the LC (but the lowest people have in with is around 520 points I think - and that'd be a rare few cases, very lucky!) and you need to sit HPAT, which, again, if you Google you'll find tonnes of info on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 easpa_ciall

So my dilemma is , I have heard some rumours of late that if you have achieved 480 points and minimum requirements in the leaving cert in one sitting then when repeating you can just repeat for points ? I just got the 480 in 2010 and achieved the other specific requirements and am currently repeating but am doing all 7 subjects again as I thought I had to matriculate as well as get points in the one sitting , so I am hoping there is someone out there who may be able to clear this one up for me ASAP .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

So my dilemma is , I have heard some rumours of late that if you have achieved 480 points and minimum requirements in the leaving cert in one sitting then when repeating you can just repeat for points ? I just got the 480 in 2010 and achieved the other specific requirements and am currently repeating but am doing all 7 subjects again as I thought I had to matriculate as well as get points in the one sitting , so I am hoping there is someone out there who may be able to clear this one up for me ASAP .

Thanks

you need to do all your required subjects and get the points in one sitting ie you have to redo at least oridary level: maths, english, irish, 3rd language. and get at least a d3. you also need at least one science depending on course and if you dont do physics you need honours maths c3 for a few aswell. if you go on cao website and look at medicine undergraduate entry should give you a good idea

jenny18 wrote: »
    you need to do all your required subjects and get the points in one sitting ie you have to redo at least oridary level: maths, english, irish, 3rd language. and get at least a d3. you also need at least one science depending on course and if you dont do physics you need honours maths c3 for a few aswell. if you go on cao website and look at medicine undergraduate entry should give you a good idea
    I had a very extensive look on there and all it says is that you have to get 480 and minimum subject requirements in one sitting , nothing about repeating though which is fair enough , but I have heard of a few people who say that this was what they did, and a school guidance counsellor who has advised a few more to do the same, have sent some emails round to college admissions offices and hopefully will have an answer soon ! Thanks for the reply though :)

I had a very extensive look on there and all it says is that you have to get 480 and minimum subject requirements in one sitting , nothing about repeating though which is fair enough , but I have heard of a few people who say that this was what they did, and a school guidance counsellor who has advised a few more to do the same, have sent some emails round to college admissions offices and hopefully will have an answer soon ! Thanks for the reply though :)

yeah i'm a repeat to and emailed them all as well i had the same hope about two months ago good luck though :D

• Advertisement

jenny18 wrote: »
    yeah i'm a repeat to and emailed them all as well i had the same hope about two months ago good luck though :D
    So when you emailed them did they reply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

For medicine, you must get your points and the basic requirements "in one sitting" i.e. in the same year, regardless of whether that sitting is your first time or whether you're repeating.

This isn't the case for the vast majority of courses, which is why the confusion often arises.

So when you emailed them did they reply ?
    yes they all replied and i sat for a while trying to think of ways not to do irish but sadly medicine is to put it politely mean. i emailed rcsi, nuig tcd, ucd and ucc also talked to them at higher options in rds and they restated it. sorry i know its annoying but if medicine was easy to get in to we would still be in te middle ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DublinWon2011

I started 6th year about 3 weeks ago and I want to do Medicine when I leave school. I just wanted to know, do I do the HPAT before or after my Leaving Cert or does it matter?

Also, is there anything I can get that will help me prepare for it? If so, how or where do I get them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

HPAT this year is on the 25th February. You can order practice books on their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 anthonybeta

my apologies for cluttering the thread.
    im looking for someone to sign up for m*d*ntry with me.
    pm me if you're interested.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Hey! You do the HPAT before the leaving cert. It will be on the 25th of February this year. You can get more info here

And as for something that might help you prepare for it, well, there are two practice booklets available. You can order them online on their website above. :)

Also, there are a good few courses that help with the HPAT, though not all are good and many people find the practice booklets enough for practice.

If you want any more info, feel free to PM me. :)

Anybody here doing UKCAT? I can't find the calculator button for the quantitative reasoning section (so I'm just using my own, which isn't very realistic tbh), where in god's name is it on the screen? It says in the top left but I'm either going blind or it's simply not there. O_O

jumpguy wrote: »
    Anybody here doing UKCAT? I can't find the calculator button for the quantitative reasoning section (so I'm just using my own, which isn't very realistic tbh), where in god's name is it on the screen? It says in the top left but I'm either going blind or it's simply not there. O_O

Ya, I'm doing the UKCAT as well but I haven't a clue what you'rew talking about. :eek: I haven't done any prep for it tbh, it's just a back-up for me so not concentrating much on it but what are you on about? What calculator? :confused: I think I better start doing something for it now!

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Ya, I'm doing the UKCAT as well but I haven't a clue what you'rew talking about. :eek: I haven't done any prep for it tbh, it's just a back-up for me so not concentrating much on it but what are you on about? What calculator? :confused: I think I better start doing something for it now!
    Unless you've the mental arithmetic of Einstein himself, do you not use a calculator for the quantitative reasoning section? Y'know...it's one of the four sections of UKCAT. They say on the website the calculator is built into the downloadable practice test (it's an on-screen calculator) but I can't find it anywhere.

When've you booked your test for?

jumpguy wrote: »
    Unless you've the mental arithmetic of Einstein himself, do you not use a calculator for the quantitative reasoning section? Y'know...it's one of the four sections of UKCAT. They say on the website the calculator is built into the downloadable practice test (it's an on-screen calculator) but I can't find it anywhere.

When've you booked your test for?

Lol, I feel like such a fool! :P Sorry bout that lol, I know what you meant now, dunno what happened to me there. :P I am just using one of those UKCAT prep books for practice, didn't download any practice test so can't help you, sorry! :/

I've booked it for the 6th of October, you? Ha, now I know how well I'll do, geez, I can't believe I just did that lol.

Erm Jumpguy, I just downloaded the practice test and saw the calculator button on the top left corner, so it is there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You do know your left from your right, jg? >_>

Ok, more seriously, I'm guessing there was some glitch with the download.

You do know your left from your right, jg? >_>

Ok, more seriously, I'm guessing there was some glitch with the download.
    I dunno, I'm rounding off a thoroughly unproductive weekend (but mad craic), I'll check to see if I can find it tomorrow. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Closet Monkey

If you do the hpat and get bad results can you do it again another year and still count the points you got from the last year leaving cert?

For example you get 550 points in LC and 100 in HPAT, which is 650 points. And the next year you get 180 points in HPAT, would you add that to the 550 points in LC?

• Advertisement

If you do the hpat and get bad results can you do it again another year and still count the points you got from the last year leaving cert?

For example you get 550 points in LC and 100 in HPAT, which is 650 points. And the next year you get 180 points in HPAT, would you add that to the 550 points in LC?
    Yes, as far as I know you can combine LCs and HPATs within 2 years of each other. For example, you could use your LC 2010 results with your HPAT 2011 results, but not your LC 2009 results.

Whichever combination that gives you the highest score will be used.

How much time do you get for each section and how many questions are on each section?

How much time do you get for each section and how many questions are on each section?
    Ah now, I suggest you read everything on this site before you think about sitting it. :P

that looks difficult. i can manage section 1 and 2 in the required time but section 3 would take me atleast 3mins to solve a question. no wonder its difficult. Hopefully i will do well in section 2 and 3.

Has anyone whos done it before find it difficult with time because i think that would be the only problem for me.

that looks difficult. i can manage section 1 and 2 in the required time but section 3 would take me atleast 3mins to solve a question. no wonder its difficult. Hopefully i will do well in section 2 and 3.

Has anyone whos done it before find it difficult with time because i think that would be the only problem for me.
    Time is THE main problem. If there was plenty of time allowed, you'd eventually figure out how to answer every question. But under the time constraints, you really have to be on top of your game and think as fast as possible. Failing to find the answer, you have to be ready to guess and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Hey all, just wondering if anyone herre was interested in doing a hpat prep course, its run over 2 days, and cost 570 euro, unless you do it as a group (2 or more) in which case its only 370.
    Id definatley do it if somebody would do it with me for the discount.

http://www.********-hpat.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

I sat the LC in 2007, did a natural science course and only got a 2.2 so no graduate med (Despite getting enough GAMSAT points) for me...

Therefore here I am:
    Doing a hDip in IT as well as sitting the HPAT as well as resitting the GAMSAT (In the hopes of getting into grad med UK) while also resitting the Leaving Cert.
    I've got from now until June to start completely from scratch, taking up physics and chemistry and also upping to higher level maths...
    Gosh I'mma be in for a rough year...

I'm in almost the exact same situation.
    Sat the Leaving in 2005, got 500 (lazy and unmotivated, started like midway through May), studied Chemistry and Biology in college , scraped a 2,2, and have spent the last two years working full time in the hospital where I was previously part time.
    English has much of the stuff I did so happy out there.

Also is Maths a requirement for medicine undergrad entry or can I get away with having done it in a previous exam sitting? I was only okay at Maths so really want to avoid it, instead take up physics and history along with biology, chemistry, French, English and something else I have to decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Also yeah can someone briefly outline what the hell this much maligned HPAT is? Is it like a GAMSAT or an MCAT test?

Gott wrote: »
    I'm in almost the exact same situation.

Sat the Leaving in 2005, got 500 (lazy and unmotivated, started like midway through May), studied Chemistry and Biology in college , scraped a 2,2, and have spent the last two years working full time in the hospital where I was previously part time.
    English has much of the stuff I did so happy out there.

Also is Maths a requirement for medicine undergrad entry or can I get away with having done it in a previous exam sitting? I was only okay at Maths so really want to avoid it, instead take up physics and history along with biology, chemistry, French, English and something else I have to decide on.

Ya, maths is a requirement and for med, you have to get the points and the basic requirements all in one sitting-
    For medicine, you must get your points and the basic requirements "in one sitting" i.e. in the same year, regardless of whether that sitting is your first time or whether you're repeating.

This isn't the case for the vast majority of courses, which is why the confusion often arises.

Gott wrote: »
    Also yeah can someone briefly outline what the hell this much maligned HPAT is? Is it like a GAMSAT or an MCAT test?

It's not like the GAMSAT or MCAT, I think. It's rather an aptitude test. It's the Irish version of the UMAT. You can find out more about it here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Colb

Hey all, just wondering if anyone herre was interested in doing a hpat prep course, its run over 2 days, and cost 570 euro, unless you do it as a group (2 or more) in which case its only 370.
    Id definatley do it if somebody would do it with me for the discount.

http://www.********-hpat.ie/

Hi
    Are you still looking for someone to apply for hpath course with you. I am going to apply too

Advertisement