Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Colb

millix wrote: »
    M*d*n*ry / discount / save 220 euro / 2012 hpat
    I want to do the med-entry course ( Ireland ) but don't want to pay 570 euro ...

I am hoping to save 220 euro from the med-hpat-entry platinum package 2011/2012 - please send me a message as soon as possible so that we can get the group discount

Thanks - Millix

Hi
    Have you found someone to apply with you. I am looking for someone too
    thanks
    Colb

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Medicine:

The maximum possible adjusted points score for applicants to Medicine will increase from 560 to 565. (For all scores over 550, each 5 point band equals one extra point.) The baseline score of 480 points will still apply but can include the bonus points if HL mathematics (cumulative points) is among the best six subjects.

really hope hpat doesn't have the same deadly scores as last year because i doubt i will go up much from 179
    just need 575 in leaving 555 adjusted and 8oth percentile minimum in hpat to get galway medicine if its like the other years then.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Ya, maths is a requirement and for med, you have to get the points and the basic requirements all in one sitting-

It's not like the GAMSAT or MCAT, I think. It's rather an aptitude test. It's the Irish version of the UMAT. You can find out more about it here

Thanks, I'll take a look at the link.

Not pleased about having to sit Maths again but I suppose I'll get to renew my love/hate relationship with trigonometry ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Gott wrote: »

Not pleased about having to sit Maths again but I suppose I'll get to renew my love/hate relationship with trigonometry ...

You just have to get the minimum requirements, so you can sit pass maths if you want and concentrate on 6 strong Honours subjects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

Well I got over the disappointment of not getting medicine but now, in my 2nd year of Science, they're going to be adding points for honours maths which will bring me up to 732. So once more I have to face the nerves of waiting until the points are released :P Feel like an LC student all over again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Somalion wrote: »
    Well I got over the disappointment of not getting medicine but now, in my 2nd year of Science, they're going to be adding points for honours maths which will bring me up to 732. So once more I have to face the nerves of waiting until the points are released :P Feel like an LC student all over again :D
    Did you do your LC + HPAT in 2009 or 2010? If in 2009, I'm not sure if you can apply, but it's definetly something I'd enquire about, I'm not 100% sure.

TCD med was highest and was 739 afair on 2nd rounds this year, and NUIG was the lowest at 729 on second rounds. So you most likely have an extremely slim chance of getting NUIG medicine with 732 in 2012 tbh, the points for it will most likely rise again unless there's a massive fall-off in average HPAT scores (which'd be a disaster, because it'd give people who did the HPAT before that year a major advantage), due to the 25 extra points for HL maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

jumpguy wrote: »
    Did you do your LC + HPAT in 2009 or 2010? If in 2009, I'm not sure if you can apply, but it's definetly something I'd enquire about, I'm not 100% sure.

TCD med was highest and was 739 afair on 2nd rounds this year, and NUIG was the lowest at 729 on second rounds. So you most likely have an extremely slim chance of getting NUIG medicine with 732 in 2012 tbh, the points for it will most likely rise again unless there's a massive fall-off in average HPAT scores (which'd be a disaster, because it'd give people who did the HPAT before that year a major advantage), due to the 25 extra points for HL maths.

Did the HPAT again this year passed. I'm not really putting any stock into getting medicine to be honest however speaking to a few of the Docs I know a lot of stink is being made over the points jumping so much last year. So while I don't think I'm going to get it I don't expect point to jump too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ccc9

Hi I'm looking for someone to do the group discount with me as well..message me if you're still looking for someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 WhoSays

ha yur all f*ck*d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

WhoSays wrote: »
    ha yur all f*ck*d

Not half as ****ed as you mate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

Is it true that you have to sit the hpat within 2 years of your leaving cert after which you cannot sit it any more??.....e.g if i did my lc in 2003 and got say 550 would i havto repeat the lc again so it is within 2 years??p.s i have all the requirements maths,english irish....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

WhoSays wrote: »
    ha yur all f*ck*d
    Who says?!

Actually, looking at both your deleted posts on this forum, and your recent troll-fest on NUIG, I suspect that the LC forum will manage just be-yuth-ee-fully without your trolling ways!!

Have fun, now!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heatproof

Hey guess Im looking for someone to join me to do the Med*entry course, if you are interested please PM me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Gott wrote: »

Sure, you can always do pass maths and do another HL subject instead. That's what many of my friends did last year when repeating.

I hate trig too, btw...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Have read all of the posts and see a lot of people are opting to take the HPAT prep course at the same place availing of a discount.

Has anyone heard of this prep course company, on reading it sounds great but can't seem to find any information about it elsewhere.

http://www.hpat.ie/prepration.php

Is anyone here planning on taking a prep course with them or do you know anyone who took a prep course with them?

Decisions, decisions .... thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Shifty wrote: »
    Have read all of the posts and see a lot of people are opting to take the HPAT prep course at the same place availing of a discount.

Has anyone heard of this prep course company, on reading it sounds great but can't seem to find any information about it elsewhere.

http://www.hpat.ie/prepration.php

Is anyone here planning on taking a prep course with them or do you know anyone who took a prep course with them?

Decisions, decisions .... thanks in advance!

I wouldn't go near them considering they can't even spell preparation right in their web address.. :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yvapra

Hi
    Am planning to appear for HPAT this year from Ireland and would be grateful if you can send me any material that would help me get good marks
    thanks
    mustafa
    yvapra@yahoo.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

yvapra wrote: »
    Hi
    Am planning to appear for HPAT this year from Ireland and would be grateful if you can send me any material that would help me get good marks
    thanks
    mustafa
    yvapra@yahoo.co.uk

Gimme gimme gimme!

So is anybody actually preparing for this yet? Besides paying for these courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Gimme gimme gimme!

So is anybody actually preparing for this yet? Besides paying for these courses?

I started a practise test last night, so I'm just gonna work through that first at my own pace to get a feel for the exam. Then I'm gonna do the m******y course! My parents are insisting I do, despite the cost but I have found other people doing it so I'll get my discount anyway :)

For anyone who's done the hpat already, is it normal to do fairly bad in the practise tests at first?I dunno am I just bad at it or if it is genuinely that difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

How much practise should you be doing for the HPAT?

For somebody who is just doing the HPAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Hey guys... think im in the same boat as ye. Im repeating my LC next yr, (too busy with a work contract to do it this yr) so ill be 24 sitting the LC exams. Hoping to get into Med obviously. Never done the HPAT before so a bit iffy bout that...Hearing alot of mixed reports about those prep courses too, can anuone verify if theyre legit?
    Anyone any advice on the best subject to pick to maximise points? im thinking of doing English, Irish,Maths, Bio, Chem, French, Geo...

danbag1989 wrote: »
    Anyone any advice on the best subject to pick to maximise points? im thinking of doing English, Irish,Maths, Bio, Chem, French, Geo...

Definitely do a language, not a requirement for all colleges but you want all your options open.

Definitely do both sciences (Chem & Bio), not a requirement for all colleges but I have found it very useful to have the basics done before going into the more complicated stuff throughout the course, rather than get thrown all the detailed stuff first.

Obviously you have to do English, Irish and Maths, but if you feel that one of them will be too time consuming for the result you will get, then I would advise that you drop to pass. Before, I would have said for people to drop maths, but with the extra 25 points its not as much of an option. Irish at HL can be a lot of work so if its not going to be worth it, don't do it.

And then the last subject should be something that you're fairly confident you'll do well in as regards points. It seems like you have a good combination in mind anyway! :)

Definitely do a language, not a requirement for all colleges but you want all your options open.

Definitely do both sciences (Chem & Bio), not a requirement for all colleges but I have found it very useful to have the basics done before going into the more complicated stuff throughout the course, rather than get thrown all the detailed stuff first.

Obviously you have to do English, Irish and Maths, but if you feel that one of them will be too time consuming for the result you will get, then I would advise that you drop to pass. Before, I would have said for people to drop maths, but with the extra 25 points its not as much of an option. Irish at HL can be a lot of work so if its not going to be worth it, don't do it.

And then the last subject should be something that you're fairly confident you'll do well in as regards points. It seems like you have a good combination in mind anyway! :)

Thats some sound advice! Thanks! If we assume that i do get into medicine will there be many people in or around my age do you know?
    Yeah im not overly confident about Irish or Maths, i could prob do well in Higher maths with a good amount of study though. I might just do the pass irish and pick up honours economics... I got in A in that in my previous LC.

I was debating about weather to do the LC again or apply as a Mature student, but there really isnt many palces there at all, I figured if have alot better chances with a good LC.

Thats some sound advice! Thanks! If we assume that i do get into medicine will there be many people in or around my age do you know?

Yup there will! Mine was the first year to do the hpat and a few people had come back after doing other courses to repeat, so there were some around the 24/25 age group. Also in first med (I did premed as well) we got joined by a lot of internationals, most had done previous degrees so also around that age! I wouldn't worry about it, the amount of people repeating LC or HPAT, or doing premed, has brought the age of the majority in first med up to 20 or so anyway :)
    Yeah im not overly confident about Irish or Maths, i could prob do well in Higher maths with a good amount of study though. I might just do the pass irish and pick up honours economics... I got in A in that in my previous LC.

Do you mean do economics instead of geography (which you mentioned in your previous post)? If you mean along with the others, I don't know, make sure you don't stretch yourself too thin with too many subjects!
    I was debating about weather to do the LC again or apply as a Mature student, but there really isnt many places there at all, I figured if have alot better chances with a good LC.

I'm not familiar with the mature student application processes, but from qualifax medicine does not take mature applicants and you'd have to do the LC/HPAT anyway?

Edit: Actually, it looks like NUIG do not take mature applicants, TCD, UCC and UCD do, and RCSI don't seem to specify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

has anyone any tips on the hpat?
    how much should i be practising at this stage?

any help tks

Yup there will! Mine was the first year to do the hpat and a few people had come back after doing other courses to repeat, so there were some around the 24/25 age group. Also in first med (I did premed as well) we got joined by a lot of internationals, most had done previous degrees so also around that age! I wouldn't worry about it, the amount of people repeating LC or HPAT, or doing premed, has brought the age of the majority in first med up to 20 or so anyway :)

Do you mean do economics instead of geography (which you mentioned in your previous post)? If you mean along with the others, I don't know, make sure you don't stretch yourself too thin with too many subjects!

I'm not familiar with the mature student application processes, but from qualifax medicine does not take mature applicants and you'd have to do the LC/HPAT anyway?

Edit: Actually, it looks like NUIG do not take mature applicants, TCD, UCC and UCD do, and RCSI don't seem to specify.

Thanks for the reply, Im gonna try find the balance between working hard and not over stretching!! Yep TCD UCD RCSI and UCC all take mature students. you have the have chem and bio and lc level, and do hpat, but its very very competitive, and there really not many places going, 4-6 places approx in each college..Ive rang around all the unis and defo do mature student places, i know 2 people who got in that wat but they diplomas etc in science and all, its too much of a risk to depend on mature entry i think.Your right NUIG dont do it.
    LC it is! :)

LC it is! :)

Best of luck with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

How much practise should you be doing for the HPAT?

For somebody who is just doing the HPAT?

?

:(

?

Ive got no idea anyway as ive never done it before. you should check out the HPAT prep courses. Im hearing mixed reviews about them,but a few people ive talked to swear by them!

also, im wondering if just practising generic apptitiude tests would help?

• Advertisement

?

Its hard to tell anyone how much they should be practising. Have you done the official ACER practise booklets? Once you try it you'll get an idea of what you're falling down on (timing or an individual section) and see what you can do to work on it. The booklet will be the closest thing to the HPAT you can get.

Advertisement