Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 country beat

Do you mean fees wise? To be honest I can't see this working in the way that it does for colleges that have premed. For colleges that do premed, they see pharmacy as first year (free fees) and then first med as second year (free fees). If you did this in Trinity, it would be pharmacy as first year (free fees) and then first med would still be first year (cos its first year for everyone), so you're "repeating" first year, and therefore fees. However I really can't speak for Trinity, the best thing to do would be to ask on the Trinity forum or email their admissions office?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks for that. Yes, I was thinking about fees. I had read on here before that NUIG would accept a year in Pharmacy as a pre-med year and you could go straight into first year med without paying full fees. I suppose it would be different in Trinity as they don't do a pre-med year, but I will talk to Trinity about it before changing the cao form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Helloxoxo wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the 99th%tile started this year but I'd say somewhere around 200 so with Max LC points of 565 that make 765. There should only be 70 people in the 99-100th%tile and there's like 400 med places so points will definitely not go to 765 in any college! If all the people in the 90-100th%tiles got 565 that's 340ish people
    With a minimum of 754 and still there's places left, keep in mind only 0.3% of
    People get 600 points (or 625) and only 2.5% get between 550 and 595. So from all this rambling I think I've reassured myself that points can't go past 750 :P (and still I don't think they'll reach 750)

200 is 97th percentile. :P But don't worry, there's no way everyone with 200+ in the hpat will get 565 or even close to it, and a good few people actually have medicine down as a second choice or will ultimately decide against doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

GY501 Medicine (7 year)
    From September 2012 it is intended that students entering the Medical programme will have the opportunity also to engage a PhD degree in an integrated schedule, so that at the end of seven years successfully completed, both the Medical degree and the PhD are conferred.

Students of the Medical programme who are interested will undergo a selection process at the mid-point of their medical studies, which includes an assessment of their academic performance to date and an interview. Limited financial support is provided for the additional two years. The programme and the research themes available remain subject to verification at the time of going to print.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

finality wrote: »
    200 is 97th percentile. :P But don't worry, there's no way everyone with 200+ in the hpat will get 565 or even close to it, and a good few people actually have medicine down as a second choice or will ultimately decide against doing it.

Thanks I wasn't quite sure!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kevhall9

Just gonna post my results for reference purposes:
    From Tipperary, did the hpat in Waterford centre.

Score: 196

Percentile: 94th

Sections: 1.. 2.. 3
    .............64 56 76

I thought section 1 would be by far my best, since I was done with 20 mins left and got to look back over all my answers.
    Knew Section 2 would be my worst, mostly guesses.
    How many points minimum do you think I need to scrape into Galway? I do honours maths and I expect to do well in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

kevhall9 wrote: »
    Just gonna post my results for reference purposes:
    From Tipperary, did the hpat in Waterford centre.

Score: 196

Percentile: 94th

Sections: 1.. 2.. 3
    .............64 56 76

I thought section 1 would be by far my best, since I was done with 20 mins left and got to look back over all my answers.
    Knew Section 2 would be my worst, mostly guesses.
    How many points minimum do you think I need to scrape into Galway? I do honours maths and I expect to do well in it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78517782&postcount=1969

As a bright young fella, I think you will be able to figure it out for yourself if you read the post above which details how the points have changes since the hpat came in.

If you get over 550 you can be 100% sure of a spot in every med course in the country, bar trinity.. but stil pretty likely to get a place there too.

525+ leaving and you are pretty well set with an A1 in maths in galway.

Anything under 540 in the leaving (combined with bonus points) and you enter dangerous territory..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kevhall9

hollingr wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78517782&postcount=1969

If you get over 550 you can be 100% sure of a spot in every med course in the country, bar trinity.. but stil pretty likely to get a place there too.

525+ leaving and you are pretty well set with an A1 in maths in galway.

Anything under 540 in the leaving (combined with bonus points) and you enter dangerous territory..

With 445 in my mocks (including bonus points), it'll take a fair push for the next 4 weeks..

I have my two sciences though.. (physics and chemistry) and a third language (French). And only 6 honours subjects (ordinary level irish)

I think I got about 440 in my mocks and ended up with 520 (long time ago..). This is now 545 with bonus points for maths.

I was pretty averse to weekend study as far as I remember, but worked hard during the week.

It is doable, just break ya' neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ralphding23

Do we not need to be concerned that people who got good hpat scores last year have been brought into contention with the bonus maths points?

Not just them, people who did the leaving cert over the last few decades too and want to get into medicine!

That's why I think an increase of greater than 5 points is definitely possible.. but will balance out rapidly over the next year or two. I think this year might be somewhat of a apex for medicine points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

Do we not need to be concerned that people who got good hpat scores last year have been brought into contention with the bonus maths points?

I was thinking about that but logically most of the people with the top hpat scores from last year are more then likely in medicine now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rathman

Hi everyone. I was just wondering do I stand a chance in med this year. I didn't do brilliant in my HPAT, my results were 175, 76th percentile. The thing I have on my side is the Hear scheme smile.gif. Im pretty much a shoe in for it and was wondering would that help secure me a place this year. Say if i get 535 in the leaving, equalling 710 in med points, would I stand a chance as a Hear student? REALLY don't want to spend a year doing science tongue.gif

but say for example (if I understand it correctly and I'm not missing something) last year you got 200 and 520 in lc you wouldn't have got in, but this year that would equal 745 which could secure a place? Not to mention if you were that person you could have repeated and increased that further?

yeah that's it ralph, they have three ways of improving their scores; resitting l.c, resitting hpat, and bonus points from maths (but remember everyone has the same opportunity to get bonus maths points, it's up to you if you make best use of it or not.

It's definitely tough on 1st time takers, fair play to those who succeed first time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Saracarroll

Is there a chance that I could get trinity with 196, 94th percentile?

It just makes it ridonkulously difficult to predict what the points will be like!! I wonder what the reasoning is behind allowing you to have two scores and then pick the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

are-you-serious-rage-face.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

rathman wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I was just wondering do I stand a chance in med this year. I didn't do brilliant in my HPAT, my results were 175, 76th percentile. The thing I have on my side is the Hear scheme :). Im pretty much a shoe in for it and was wondering would that help secure me a place this year. Say if i get 535 in the leaving, equalling 710 in med points, would I stand a chance as a Hear student? REALLY don't want to spend a year doing science tongue.gif

You have a good shot:) it is not uncommon for HEAR to give a 30pts reduction(which is prob. what you would need)so don't lose all hope.Though for trinity med you will need more than 740

You have a good chance but try not to place everything on getting med this year-as the choice is out of your heads it is up to HEAR- so look into other courses or try and bring your pts up

Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

Not to sound harsh, but think about it - you scored better than 94% of applicants, and you have given no information with respect to your LC results, so all in all, thats a little bit of a silly question.

But just in case that wasn't clear - yes, you do have a chance.

Well considering 6% of 3000 is 180 and there is only 123 places in trinity it was a fair enough question

• Advertisement

Paralysis wrote: »
    Not to sound harsh, but think about it - you scored better than 94% of applicants, and you have given no information with respect to your LC results, so all in all, thats a little bit of a silly question.

But just in case that wasn't clear - yes, you do have a chance.

Sorry, your right. I have yet to sit my leaving cert, thanks :)

Does anyone know how the 5 year UCD med course works, like if everyone who has done a year in college gets in or are there limited places ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

spasmaster wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the 5 year UCD med course works, like if everyone who has done a year in college gets in or are there limited places ?

There's 15 places in 1st med for people to skip premed and you have to make a case for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Well considering 6% of 3000 is 180 and there is only 123 places in trinity it was a fair enough question

not really because not all of them will go for Trinity- some of them might live in Cork/Galway so they would obviously go there- and considering people with scores of 180/185 would be wondering do they have a chance, it is a bit of a silly question.

There's 15 places in 1st med for people to skip premed and you have to make a case for it!

I suppose you'd have to do realy well in the college exams.

not really because not all of them will go for Trinity- some of them might live in Cork/Galway so they would obviously go there- and considering people with scores of 180/185 would be wondering do they have a chance, it is a bit of a silly question.

I don't know what other people would be wondering, it was a question, i wasn't looking for an arguement :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

spasmaster wrote: »

Not true. There is no set number of places. Applicants with third level experience and strong backgrounds can apply to skip pre-med. it's not really making a case, just presenting your educational background

What are most people hoping to become, GP, physician etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 pros_medhead

... Im a current biomed and ive looked into it, you just have to have experience some type of third level (relevant science etc) and u can do the 5yr. Also, i dont think there is a restricted number of places, esp considering the number of non-eu students who start stage 2 med

Advertisement