Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

To be clear, they do the vaccinations (for a fee). It's your own responsibility to make sure you get the blood test.
    My mistake, they definitely do for some colleges once you go through the college health centre. I can say for definite they did in TCD last year as my brother went through it.

Hey guys so do you know for definite whether they do or do not do the blood test after the vaccinations or do we have to organise it ourselves for Trinity? I got the vaccinations done last year but havn't heard anything about the blood test yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18 karkarpops

hollingr wrote: »
    congrats karka! it's a great college. I lived in front square for a year when studying there, my advice is get involved in societies that get rooms on campus, it's the best fun!

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind :)
    And Dicksboro_man, spasmaster, Taco Chips...looking forward to the next 5 years with you guys woooo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mad Shark

Paralysis wrote: »
    WOW so early... See you there!!! :D (That's so cool to say haha)

Anyone know when freshers start in RCSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

Hey guys so do you know for definite whether they do or do not do the blood test after the vaccinations or do we have to organise it ourselves for Trinity? I got the vaccinations done last year but havn't heard anything about the blood test yet

It came in the orientation pack last year which I believe is online this year. You ring the college health centre to make an appointment for the blood test before you can register. If you go this route they organize for you to have the necessary vaccinations. Be aware that this cost about €270 last year from what I can remember.

EDIT: Just found this on the TCD orientation for Medicine in regards to vaccinations. Cost remains the same. http://www.tcd.ie/orientation/assets/pdf/Other%20course%20specific%20pdfs/INFECTIOUS_DISEASES_GUIDELINES.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Mad Shark wrote: »

We're 1st of October for undergrad med. (Orientation day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Um I think it's October 1st, may be a week earlier though. We generally start a little later than most. Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Is anyone able to apply for their Trinity accommodation yet? :D
    someone told me it opens at 3pm ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

I'm going into 4th year and I arranged my own blood test. Just give than a ring and find out. It may be easier to get appointment before everyone starts back. Also not everyone gets sufficient immunity after the 3 so you may need a booster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

I have a question for people who got in 2nd time around by just repeating the hpat: did the majority of you take some sort of course and repeat or take the year out? I've been offered Radiography in UCD but I'm having a really hard time deciding what I should do...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

dmca93 wrote: »
    I have a question for people who got in 2nd time around by just repeating the hpat: did the majority of you take some sort of course and repeat or take the year out? I've been offered Radiography in UCD but I'm having a really hard time deciding what I should do...

If you are really interested in Medicine, then repeat like I did. If you're unsure as to whether you want to study Medicine that much, answer this question:

If you got offered a choice between Medicine or Radiography, which would you choose?

That question will clear up any doubts you have. I took a year out and dedicated myself fully to practicing the HPAT having missed out by a minimum margin. I developed a more logical way of thinking, understanding emotions and of course section 3 was just practicing questions over and over again. I went up significantly in my percentile and I know you will too if you put in consistent work. I did the ******** Distance Prep. Pack, by the way.

I know how you feel-the uncertainty of not knowing what choice to make is a killer altogether but remember, you have a week to decide!:) So, take your time and think about where your true interests lie over the next few days and talk to your family and friends too because they'll be able to give you a little bit more objectivity and you'll be able to take a step back and see it from a different point of view.

Today is quite hectic, and I'm sure you're a little bit overwhelmed by it all like I was last year, so just relax and watch a bit of the 'oul teilifís or something. Tomorrow, you'll feel differently.

Don't worry, though and if you do decide to repeat the HPAT, feel free to PM me if you have any questions:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ponder123

I just got a CAO offer for RCSI in medicine, my first choice was UCD and if Im honest I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get in as I always wanted to go to UCD, for the social side, the facilities etc.
    Just wondering if many people here have experience with RCSI or can tell me what its like to go there as Im a bit apprehensive and anxious to start as I know no one or don't really know anything about the college. Thanks.
    Also do people think UCD might fall by much in second round offers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

If you are really interested in Medicine, then repeat like I did. If you're unsure as to whether you want to study Medicine that much, answer this question:

If you got offered a choice between Medicine or Radiography, which would you choose?

That question will clear up any doubts you have. I took a year out and dedicated myself fully to practicing the HPAT having missed out by a minimum margin. I developed a more logical way of thinking, understanding emotions and of course section 3 was just practicing questions over and over again. I went up significantly in my percentile and I know you will too if you put in consistent work. I did the ******** Distance Prep. Pack, by the way.

I know how you feel-the uncertainty of not knowing what choice to make is a killer altogether but remember, you have a week to decide!:) So, take your time and think about where your true interests lie over the next few days and talk to your family and friends too because they'll be able to give you a little bit more objectivity and you'll be able to take a step back and see it from a different point of view.

Today is quite hectic, and I'm sure you're a little bit overwhelmed by it all like I was last year, so just relax and watch a bit of the 'oul teilifís or something. Tomorrow, you'll feel differently.

Don't worry, though and if you do decide to repeat the HPAT, feel free to PM me if you have any questions:)

Just wondering what people thought about repeating with 570 points and HPAT of 159? Got Pharm and am being advised to do that for a year and repeat HPAT. I am leaning towards repeating although I know that its likely I wont make up many points in LC, but I just dont feel happy relying on leaving my 570 and hoping I'll get enough in HPAT. God knows what the points will be next year... Taking year out wouldnt suit me, I need focus!
    Any thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

ponder123 wrote: »
    I just got a CAO offer for RCSI in medicine, my first choice was UCD and if Im honest I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get in as I always wanted to go to UCD, for the social side, the facilities etc.
    Just wondering if many people here have experience with RCSI or can tell me what its like to go there as Im a bit apprehensive and anxious to start as I know no one or don't really know anything about the college. Thanks.

I went to ucd to do radiography originally. I'm starting medicine in RCSI as a mature student this year. I honestly wouldn't worry about it if you do go to RCSI. All of my friends currently studying in RCSI absolutely love the place and College is really what you make of it :-). See ya in October if you do go ahead with RCSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coffee1234

ponder123 wrote: »

It will probably drop a point or two with random selection but my guess is as good as yours! What points are you on?

speeding wrote: »
    I went to ucd to do radiography originally. I'm starting medicine in RCSI as a mature student this year. I honestly wouldn't worry about it if you do go to RCSI. All of my friends currently studying in RCSI absolutely love the place and College is really what you make of it :-). See ya in October if you do go ahead with RCSI.

I know noone in RCSI either so glad to hear i am not alone... re the other query on what to do - i would do a year in radiography and foucs on Hpat repeat - if you like radiography continue and if you improve hpat you will have choice. i rekon hpat will come down 2/3 points next year - too early for that debate!!!

I know noone in RCSI either so glad to hear i am not alone... re the other query on what to do - i would do a year in radiography and foucs on Hpat repeat - if you like radiography continue and if you improve hpat you will have choice. i rekon hpat will come down 2/3 points next year - too early for that debate!!!

i mean overall points will come down !!

I don't know ! If medicine is what you really want to do then doing a year in radiography is just going to cost you money regarding having to pay fees for the first year of medicine. I'd think long and hard before committing at this stage and this is coming from someone who finished the radiography course in ucd.

I don't know ! If medicine is what you really want to do then doing a year in radiography is just going to cost you money regarding having to pay fees for the first year of medicine. I'd think long and hard before committing at this stage and this is coming from someone who finished the radiography course in ucd.

Fair point if you have done the course already etc. I suppose if you were not fully sure then hedge your bets etc

Fair point if you have done the course already etc. I suppose if you were not fully sure then hedge your bets etc

Yeah i suppose from my own point of view i kind of regret not repeating my leaving to gain the few extra points to get into med rather than going for my second choice. There was no hpat back in 06. I enjoyed the course in ucd and what not but i always knew i'd end up doing medicine. Sadly i'm going the expensive route now :-p so i'd urge anyone to really consider what they want now :-p

Thanks for all the responses guys. My issue with taking Radiography and repeating the hpat is the cost + the fact that I might not have enough time to fully devote to the hpat. The positives are the fact that even if I don't get med I will probably continue with Radiography and will have not wasted a year.

If I stay at home I will be able to fully focus on the hpat and possibly get a job and earn some money at the same time. However, if I don't get a job and worst case scenario don't do well enough in the hpat it will have been a complete waste of my year. Very conflicted...

I know I have till the 27th to accept the offer but I will then have to deal with finding accommodation so I really need to make up my mind soon!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the responses guys. My issue with taking Radiography and repeating the hpat is the cost + the fact that I might not have enough time to fully devote to the hpat. The positives are the fact that even if I don't get med I will probably continue with Radiography and will have not wasted a year.

If I stay at home I will be able to fully focus on the hpat and possibly get a job and earn some money at the same time. However, if I don't get a job and worst case scenario don't do well enough in the hpat it will have been a complete waste of my year. Very conflicted...

I know I have till the 27th to accept the offer but I will then have to deal with finding accommodation so I really need to make up my mind soon!

Yeah tough decision ! On the plus side first year in radiography in ucd is very first year med related. In my first year anyway (i'm not sure if they've slightly changed first year now), There were 2 anatomy related modules with actual dissection labs and a few physiology modules. So it if it's still the same, it would be a great basis for starting medicine. But to be honest at this stage I wouldn't be worrying too much about wasting a year. I know it's easy to say! And it is coming from a person who did the radiography degree first :-p Are you happy with your points total or do you feel that could improve more or was it the HPAT that let you down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seasonoflove

Be sure to consider both the course and the college. I did science last year with the intention of repeating the HPAT and when I look back on it I often wonder if it was the right decision considering I've to pay the hefty fees now. I was lucky in that my course wasn't overly demanding and I had no Christmas exams so I could focus on the HPAT coming up to the date. If worst came to worst would you be happy staying in Radiography if it didn't work out next year? Remember you can also apply to the UK and Scotland (free fees). Best of luck with whatever you choose to do! Last year I was in the very same position!

Yeah tough decision ! On the plus side first year in radiography in ucd is very first year med related. In my first year anyway (i'm not sure if they've slightly changed first year now), There were 2 anatomy related modules with actual dissection labs and a few physiology modules. So it if it's still the same, it would be a great basis for starting medicine. But to be honest at this stage I wouldn't be worrying too much about wasting a year. I know it's easy to say! And it is coming from a person who did the radiography degree first :-p Are you happy with your points total or do you feel that could improve more or was it the HPAT that let you down ?

I got 575 so I can't see myself repeating and beating that! It was definitely my hpat that let me down. I would like to think that I can greatly increase my score there. And thanks again for the advice.

I got 575 so I can't see myself repeating and beating that! It was definitely my hpat that let me down. I would like to think that I can greatly increase my score there. And thanks again for the advice.

All depends if you are willing to pay 8000 + next year to switch course. If you are then definitely do Radiography. It's a great course you may grow to love it :-) If not then it's not the end of the world if you take a gap year. Maybe travel a bit or work. Study smart and efficient for the Gamsat from the start and ace it next year. You should definitely apply through UCAS also. With them results i'd say you'd have a great chance of being accepted into queens like a friend of mine. Look at doing the ukcat also. It's quite a similar exam to the hpat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SpirantSpem

Just found a class page for TCD Medicine for people starting this year on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/291173044308441/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DrShredded

When do you have to choose between the 5 and 6 year courses?
    +
    Do many Irish people do the 'Foundation Year' (premed) in RCSI
    or can anyone tell me if its worth it. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Anyone know when the packages for the colleges are being sent out?

spasmaster wrote: »
    Anyone know when the packages for the colleges are being sent out?

usually this week i think :-p but don't quote me on that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Does anyone headed for UCC know when we will be starting?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

dcam wrote: »
    Does anyone headed for UCC know when we will be starting?:)

I think it's the 24th! Orientation/registration will probably be some day the previous week!

Advertisement