Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-fi on Campus. . .

Options
  • 22-08-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could help me out here. . .

Anyone know average bandwidth speeds for the campus wi-fi? . . .speed is a major issue down south, just wondering what I can expect in UCD

Thanks in advance. ..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Don't know exact speed, but it is pretty fast in the residences (you're not in Munster any more :pac:)

In the library it can be hit and miss as it can't cope with the numbers, so I'd recommend buying an ethernet cable.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's seriously fast compared to even "fast" home broadband connections. There are two network SSID: WaveLAN Network and eduroam. The eduroam one does take a bit more setting up but does help with some apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

So the connection quality/speed in all of the apartments is basically the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

Being a comp sci student , im big into downloading, highest dwnload speed ull get on the wired is 11mbps, which is 88mb broadband, the highest ull get on the wireless is around 5 r 6mbps download speed, on average ull get 1 meg or so during the day when everyone is online, overall its great and when u head back to home broadband its terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Dave26992 wrote: »
    Being a comp sci student , im big into downloading, highest dwnload speed ull get on the wired is 11mbps, which is 88mb broadband, the highest ull get on the wireless is around 5 r 6mbps download speed, on average ull get 1 meg or so during the day when everyone is online, overall its great and when u head back to home broadband its terrible

Ginger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Wow. . .down here, we're on a max of 60kbps in the southern wilderness. .. thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I remember you said you were in 1st med the other day. The health sciences building has both Wavelan (slowish)and eduroam (damn fast), both are very fast especially when no one uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

bigred100 wrote: »
    Ginger?
    Trying to find more ginger CS students? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Healium wrote: »
    Trying to find more ginger CS students? ;)

I just really hope it's who I think it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

yeah its me bigred, ya bollox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

OSI wrote: »
    From what I've heard, the internet connectivity in the residences is useless.

The wireless was perfectly fine for me in Glenomena. For any "normal" internet usage, it is more than adequate.

Advertisement