Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a rabbit

• 22-08-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I pulled into my carpark just now and found a terrified little rabbit, i have it inside now in a box but I have a kitten who is likely to go insane when she sees it. There's no way I can keep it here tonight but does anybody know a place I can bring it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

If you cought it easily it must be someones pet?could you ask one or two neighbours and if if they may know the owner?.You prob wont get anyone to take it tonight :(Do you have a shed you could put it in for the night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is it a wild rabbit or a pet rabbit??

You'll probably have to wait until morning, so for now put it in a cat carrier..a plastic one with the wire door if you have one. Make sure you leave some food like even a carrot or brocolli because unless you have hay the rabbit will need to eat. If your garden grass is ok and not been sprayed with weedkiller then pull some of the longer strands for it too and leave a heavy bowl of water in a corner of the cage.

Then just keep the rabbit in a quiet place either in a shed or spare bathroom or utility room and close the door. The rabbit needs time to calm down, so leave it over night. Then in the morning take it to the vets..if it is a wild rabbit they will treat it for free..if it seems fine in the morning and is a wild rabbit then release it asap somewhere safe. If it's a pet rabbit the vets might be able to recommend a rescue or put up posters for a home for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

boxerly wrote: »
    If you cought it easily it must be someones pet?could you ask one or two neighbours and if if they may know the owner?.You prob wont get anyone to take it tonight :(Do you have a shed you could put it in for the night?
    Already tried the neighbours but nobody is claiming him. I'm in an apartment unfortunately, what's even worse is te kitten has realised there's a guest and is terrified and going nuts. The rabbit must be somebodies as he's more than willing to be held and rubbed and let me pick him straight up. Are there any shelters or anything I could drive him to? I can't let it back out but my own kitten is so afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Strange that the kitten would be afraid. To be honest you are best to leave the rabbit in a room somewhere quiet and close the door until morning so you can sort something. It's vital the rabbit has food, if the rabbit is not eating very regularly their systems can shut down.
    The kitten will be fine just put the rabbit in the furthest room away you can and close the door. It's just one night and to be honest I doubt anyone will take the rabbit in at this hour.
    If you are in the Dublin area wait till morning and contact local rescues, the DSPCA will put rabbits down though if they haven't enough room.

You don't need to let the rabbit back out just keep it confined, it could be that the rabbit is just relaxed and friendly or the rabbit could be quiet because it's in shock or afraid. So it's best to be on the safe side and leave the rabbit to settle. The kitten will get over it.

Strange that the kitten would be afraid. To be honest you are best to leave the rabbit in a room somewhere quiet and close the door until morning so you can sort something. It's vital the rabbit has food, if the rabbit is not eating very regularly their systems can shut down.
    The kitten will be fine just put the rabbit in the furthest room away you can and close the door. It's just one night and to be honest I doubt anyone will take the rabbit in at this hour.
    If you are in the Dublin area wait till morning and contact local rescues, the DSPCA will put rabbits down though if they haven't enough room.

You don't need to let the rabbit back out just keep it confined, it could be that the rabbit is just relaxed and friendly or the rabbit could be quiet because it's in shock or afraid. So it's best to be on the safe side and leave the rabbit to settle. The kitten will get over it.

It's in the bathroom with lettuce carrrots and water and a bed with shredded paper. It's eating and drinking away etc. Im out of the house 12 hours per day tho which concerns me in terms of keeping him in such a small space.

And with all due respect, my kitten has been here for 10 months on her own since she was rescued at 3 weeks old after a very nasty encounter with another animal where she underwent two major operations so to be honest she's my number priority in all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

did you sort things out??

poor rabbit :(

did you sort things out??

poor rabbit :(
    Ok so rabbit was ok last night, problem was the kitten, she has never ever had an accident but I got up this morning and she had piddled everywhere, obviously annoyed at the guest.
    Rabbit ate the food I'd left with him and this morning I took him outside by the trees to see if he'd run off (theres usually a few rabbits hopping about down there) but he just sat still and tightened up. So he's back inside with more food and water and a kind lady pm'd the name of a place in Tipperary that takes rabbits so il drive him down there later if needs be.
    He doesn't seem injured at all, he's well groomed, and his coat is soft, he's eating everything and all toilet functions are normal and he seems a happy little thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

That doesn't sound like a wild rabbit to be honest, I've picked up an injured one before and once it got over the shock I couldn't get near it.
    Its probably an escaped pet or maybe been dumped, lots of people think they can just let rabbits go and they'll live fine like wild rabbits:(
    I'd take a pic and put up a notice in local shop, maybe someone will claim it.
    Even if you bring it to Tipperary someone may call and you can refer them to wherever you sent the rabbit. It could be some childs pet (we once had an escape as kids, luckily it just went out the bay window and into neighbours).
    Its great to hear when someone caring picks up a lost animal, good on you.

mymo wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like a wild rabbit to be honest, I've picked up an injured one before and once it got over the shock I couldn't get near it.
    Its probably an escaped pet or maybe been dumped, lots of people think they can just let rabbits go and they'll live fine like wild rabbits:(
    I'd take a pic and put up a notice in local shop, maybe someone will claim it.
    Even if you bring it to Tipperary someone may call and you can refer them to wherever you sent the rabbit. It could be some childs pet (we once had an escape as kids, luckily it just went out the bay window and into neighbours).
    Its great to hear when someone caring picks up a lost animal, good on you.
    Update:
    Taking the rabbit to the vets for a check up and to make sure all is well and the vet is going to keep him for a few hours and last hope animal charity are going to pick him up and home him

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Poor thing...glad to see there are people out there like you to take him in like that and look after him. Hopefully he will be re homed soon.

• Advertisement

Poor thing...glad to see there are people out there like you to take him in like that and look after him. Hopefully he will be re homed soon.
    I couldnt leave him out there like that and it's not like he can take himself off to the vets so it's only right that we get him checked over and make sure he's 100%.
    Thanks to everybody on here for your help, not familiar with rabbits really.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Fair play to you for taking him in not everyone would bother,,i hope he,ll get sorted soon..

joyce2009 wrote: »
    Fair play to you for taking him in not everyone would bother,,i hope he,ll get sorted soon..
    Rabbit got a full health check and is 100%. He's tucked up in the vets with all his little luxuries from our house awaiting last hope to pick him up. He already has two families that want to take him so by tomorrow he should be getting the tlc he deserves.

Advertisement