Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licence application question

• 22-08-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭

I applied for my S&W 22A a couple of months ago and the Super has come back to me today (through my local FO) with a request for further info.

He was asking why I would need a scope on the pistol. I ticked the box as I thought that it would give me the option of putting a reflex sight on the gun if I wanted to do so in the future.

I told the FO that the sights can be used in some competitions and he seemed happy with that. Not sure if the Super will be happy with that though.

Now, I haven't been refused so maybe I am over reacting but I'm curious as to why he would want to know this info.

I thought that sights weren't covered by the law and so wouldn't be grounds for a refusal (and if so, why would he ask the question?).

Would the Super be able to deny my application on the grounds of having a sight on the pistol?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Did you tick the box marked "sights" on the form? If so, that doesn't apply to scopes or anything of the sort and refers purely to night vision and other forms of optics which require legal authorisation. It's a function of a badly designed form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Did you tick the box marked "sights" on the form? If so, that doesn't apply to scopes or anything of the sort and refers purely to night vision and other forms of optics which require legal authorisation. It's a function of a badly designed form.

Yep, unfortunately I ticked the box marked "sights". As you said, it is a big oversight on the part of whoever designed the forms. Pity they wouldn't change the forms or attach an instruction note to them.

My explanation to the FO that it is a reflex sight should hopefully sort that out.

I'd guess that I'm not the only person to make that same mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You're not, not by a long long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

If you dont mind me asking.... how did it go ? Do you think youll get the licence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you dont mind me asking.... how did it go ? Do you think youll get the licence ?

I haven't heard anything back yet but I'm hopeful that I'll get the licence. I can't see why I would be refused. If I was going to be refused, I think I would have been refused already. The fact that the Super has asked for clarification on a couple of issues, I am taking that as a good sign.

The Super had two queries, one about the scope, and another about the capacity of the mags. I've answered these queries so hopefully it shouldn't take much longer.

After paying my club membership two months ago, I'm itching to get out on the range as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement