Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless speed 72Mbs????

Options
  • 22-08-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

So I was playing with a new laptop today in the house. I noticed that the link speed was 100Mbs+. I noticed my (older)laptop has never connected over 72Mbs. Now by old I mean 5 months, so why the hell am I not getting a faster speed? My network card is realtek rtl8191se wireless lan 802.11n pci-e nic. Im using a cisco e3000 with channel width set to auto, 20mhz or 40mhz. The issue has to be the laptop being crappy I figure. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

Doylers wrote: »
    So I was playing with a new laptop today in the house. I noticed that the link speed was 100Mbs+. I noticed my (older)laptop has never connected over 72Mbs. Now by old I mean 5 months, so why the hell am I not getting a faster speed? My network card is realtek rtl8191se wireless lan 802.11n pci-e nic. Im using a cisco e3000 with channel width set to auto, 20mhz or 40mhz. The issue has to be the laptop being crappy I figure. Any ideas?

Wireless adapters and standards keep getting faster. On top of that there are a lot of environmental factors that can have an impact.

72 Mb/s is pretty good anyhow, I wouldn't whinge about it - especially as the bottleneck for much of what you do is likely to be your broadband connection, which will be a lot slower.

Advertisement