Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming first years.

Options
  • 22-08-2011 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Just wondering who else is going to be a fresher this year, and where will you be staying.

I'll be doing digital media design and in plassey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Pharmaceutical and Industrial Chemistry in the Plassey

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

Law and Accountancy and staying in Thomond! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Materials and Architectural Technology with Teaching.

At home :o only five minutes away though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

General Nursing :) Staying in Plassey I think. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Welcome new peeps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Materials and Architectural Technology Teacher too.

I'll be staying in Kilmurry. It's all happening so fast! I'm really excited. Any advice for first years?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Best of Luck for all incoming first years :D

Advise would be to go to lectures! I know that might sound easy but the temptation will be to skip them if there is no attendance taken and you are in a class of 400 people, but the program moves so fast in the first semesters that if you miss one or two lecture in a week you could lose 10/15% of a final exam and end up failing. Labs are compulsory. The first lecture in week 1 of each of your modules the lecture will outline the course for you regarding Labs, Mid Terms, Passing Grades etc Take notes because you will forget :D
    Just remember that unlike School there are no revision Lectures once it's done it's done. It will be up to you to revise and learning the subject.

Enjoy the buzz around campus the first few weeks are great, explore!

Get to know the matures on your course because if you are missing notes they will most likely have them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frenchy1992

can anyone tell me when you know which village we got into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

If you ring up the accommodation office they can tell you which one you are in.

Doing phys & chem teaching and staying in Cappavilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Doing Biomedical Engineering and staying in plassey!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Materials and Architectural Technology Teacher too.

I'll be staying in Kilmurry. It's all happening so fast! I'm really excited. Any advice for first years?

- Go to labs (I attended one in the first semester and did shíte)
    - Don't be overwhelmed by the size of the place and the huge amount of people (probably only applies to folk from small schools)... the first week is super busy but thats probably the only time of year you get so many people here at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mother_Bear

Psychology and Sociology and staying in Kilmurry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I feel so for anyone living in plassy this year!They blocked up all the entrances with a fence besides the main one!

Some craic there last year though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

you need to ring them asap, i know people last year who thought they were going to plassey but were late ringing and ended up in thomond and cappa (more expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

ceewa wrote: »
    you need to ring them asap, i know people last year who thought they were going to plassey but were late ringing and ended up in thomond and cappa (more expensive)

just rang now coz you scared me with that post (:P) but ya, phew, all graaand. Got plassey! Won't be 18 until march though which is kinda depressing/annoying.. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alright_dave

What date is rag week?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

just rang now coz you scared me with that post (:P) but ya, phew, all graaand. Got plassey! Won't be 18 until march though which is kinda depressing/annoying.. >_<

It's all right Soccy, they rarely ask for i.d. in Stables or Scholars, and everyone LOVES a good house party! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Business w/Japanese in UL< staying in bru na grudan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I was 17 for all of first year, Trooms use to never ask for ID so was grand but with it shut down I don't know how ya'll get on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aculleninaway

Yeah I'm delighted that I'll finally be 18 at the start of September! No more stressing about the lack of ID. Hope Freshers Week will be good since it'll be my birthday ;)
    Also, I'm doing Applied Languages, and will be staying in Thomond!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I was 17 for all of first year, Trooms use to never ask for ID so was grand but with it shut down I don't know how ya'll get on now.

I was 17 for all of 1st semester too, get rejected from trooms once, never rejected from the lodge, never rejected from scholars / stables / angel lane

you'll be grand just get a college card from NUIG (or anywhere else that has a D.O.B. on it) then the rock solid (:P) excuse of "im just down from galway for a few nights with my mates" actually worked for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I was 17 for all of 1st semester too, get rejected from trooms once, never rejected from the lodge, never rejected from scholars / stables / angel lane

you'll be grand just get a college card from NUIG (or anywhere else that has a D.O.B. on it) then the rock solid (:P) excuse of "im just down from galway for a few nights with my mates" actually worked for me:D

Actually yeah got refused from trooms once, was a sunday night when there was about 4 people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

GV_NRG wrote: »
    Doing Biomedical Engineering and staying in plassey!! :)

Word of advice, get your class rep elected as soon as you start, then after a whole one lecture get them to have a module evaluation survey sent out about any particular lecturers who can't speak and or teach.

Can't be seen to be naming any names but a certain Engineering Maths lecturer you may have has been a nightmare for the engineers for years. I was our class rep for first year but regrettably I was very slow to get the finger out and go to the Students union edumacation officer....a bad lecturer makes a tough module infinitely tougher, and eng maths isn't exactly a walk in the park to begin with!

Anyway, not trying to put you off, Engineering is a savage course...you'll have some craic:D
    Just remember, if you're considering doin anything mad, tell yourself "F88k it, it's college" and go for it.....best fun youll ever have:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fathus

I'll be doing Multimedia and Video game Development. Looking forward to it, so I am. Staying in Thomond with two of my also first year friends. Slightly worried about being seen as an irritating first year, but there's not much I can do to combat that really, seeing as I am both annoying and a first year. Butsurea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Doing Languages, Literature and Film and hoping to be in Plassey :)
    I had to phone up the office the other day 'cause of confusion and they confirmed it for me so I'd say I got Plassey since it was them I spoke to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

With regard that math lecturer it inevitable your gonna come across a boring lecturer but what ya gotta do is take it into your own hands. College is about what you do, so attend your tutorials, do the problems and exam questions, more importantly ATTEND the lecture. No one is going to spoon fed ya in college and complaining about a lecturer is just finding an excuse.

This person has done the module for years and prob for the foreseeable future and yet people survive, she also has a a habit of taking attendance.

But by all means do the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Doing music media and performance technology and am staying in drumroe. really looking forward to it. Half my sixth year seems to be coming to UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Aragneer wrote: »
    Doing Languages, Literature and Film and hoping to be in Plassey :)
    I had to phone up the office the other day 'cause of confusion and they confirmed it for me so I'd say I got Plassey since it was them I spoke to :)

I'm doing Languages, Literature and Film too :) Hoping to get Plassey as well but have nothing solid sorted yet !! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 30 delta_xray

joey12 wrote: »
    With regard that math lecturer it inevitable your gonna come across a boring lecturer but what ya gotta do is take it into your own hands. College is about what you do, so attend your tutorials, do the problems and exam questions, more importantly ATTEND the lecture. No one is going to spoon fed ya in college and complaining about a lecturer is just finding an excuse.

This person has done the module for years and prob for the foreseeable future and yet people survive, she also has a a habit of taking attendance.

But by all means do the survey.

4th Year Aero here, with regard to said module and the follow on which she had in my day (does she still do it??):

Advice on the Engineering Maths modules: Attend the tutorials and the Maths Learning Centre Tutorials even if you are a cocky b@$*@*d. Ignore what the lecturer says as it actually complicates a very easy subject for you. The first module is baiscally differentiation and the second semester module is integration. As you all needed to have HL Math to get into the course, you should have this covered already. So hold onto your LC notes! these will prove invaluable. For other Mechanical/Aeronautical/Biomedical Modules I recommend the LC syllabus Applied MAths book (the brown one thats been around for ages). Alternately, there are also 2 textbooks which will be recommended to you week 1 - Meriam and Kraige Engineering Mechanics Satatics and dynamics. These are handy to have around the place as referencable material. I am actually selling my copies if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Cawcheen wrote: »
    I'm doing Languages, Literature and Film too :) Hoping to get Plassey as well but have nothing solid sorted yet !! :L

Oh that's awesome! Do you have facebook? It'd be so cool to know people on my course :D

Advertisement