Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

August 23, Stage 4: Baza - Sierra Nevada 172km

• 22-08-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭

Baza - Sierra Nevada

First test for the climbers

Even though the first summit finish comes just four days in, there’s no doubt it’ll be a crucial stage. The riders will climb towards the summit of the cat 1 Filabres Pass, which is just over 2,000m and new to the Vuelta. From there, the route turns westwards, crossing the cat 3 Blancares Pass to reach the foot of the 23.5km ascent towards the resort of Sierra Nevada. The 5.7 per cent average understates the difficulty of a climb to well over 2,000m in summer heat. Many struggled when the 2009 race came this way, notably Cadel Evans, who had to chase after an untimely puncture.

stage_4_map_600.jpg

stage_4_profile_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I think the climb looks alot worse on paper than it actually is, it's a real diesel climb, suiting Nibali & Wiggins, the last 2km are flat. I don't expect big time gains on GC today, sure it's only the 4th stage ! It will be very interesting to see how the Irish lads will do, I'm expecting/hoping Nico to make a burst for the stage win, he showed his climbing boots in the latter end of the TDF & he finished well yersterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

its not really a diesel climb, diesel climbs are steep but consistently so making it impossible up pace too much but rather ride tempo.

This is bit puncheur, time it right and you can get way, depend how fast they hit it, a good pace at the base, could mean it splits early, a slow pace and most will hang on till near end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

I reckon it's too early in the game for any of the real GC guys to go for it and get stuck defending their lead for 2 and a half weeks. Break to stay away again? Martin's got a decent uphill sprint so maybe he's in with a shout? One things for sure after yesterday's disaster for Menchov and Igor Anton's narrow escape it seems today could show us those who are seriously off form. Can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

dont forget the heat! you saw what damage it did to some of the northern europeans yesterday. today will probably be the same. it will be a long hard hot climb for the likes of wigo

manafana wrote: »
    its not really a diesel climb, diesel climbs are steep but consistently so making it impossible up pace too much but rather ride tempo.

This is bit puncheur, time it right and you can get way, depend how fast they hit it, a good pace at the base, could mean it splits early, a slow pace and most will hang on till near end

Mmmmmm.............I wouldn't agree, the climb is 23km at 5.7% (last 2km are flat), so I would say it suits the diesels and not the petrol heads :pac: I would have thought that steep climbs would not suit the diesels as they can't accelerate to catch the puncheurs and the time gains are better. Of course if you are an (in form) Contador then you can use any climb to make gains, but there's no 'Contador impersonator' here.

• Advertisement

Cavendish out (retired) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Cav Abandons! There go a lot of Fantasy Teams..... including mine

wow. wasnt expecting cav to throw in the towel that early.. i thought he would have at least got dragged up a few climbs by the team car before retiring

^^^ glad i avoided picking him. c'mon the sandbaggers!

Kittel looking good to clear up in the flat sprints now.

if he makes it around!! he struggled yesterday as well. wouldnt be surprised to see him eliminated/retired at some stage too

but i do have him in my fantasy team. so come on kittel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

dont think it was cav's leg he roomed with goss who seemed have a bug.

manafana wrote: »
    dont think it was cav's leg he roomed with goss who seemed have a bug.

I think I've deciphered it now, "it wasn't his legs, Goss had a bug" :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anton at the back of the main bunch, not looking too great.

Anton dropped!!

Anton at the back of the main bunch, not looking too great.

and nibali looking strong. surprised anton is struggling so early, he's not going to be challenging on GC this year on this form. hope its just a bad day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dan Martin is looking pretty strong near the front of the bunch.

3rd for Dan. great result

Well done Martin!!!

He gets 8sec bonus I think. Feel sorry for Sorensen, he's such a strong domestique and deserved the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Hurrah Dan! Great to see him leading the bunch home. A few points for Johnner's Turkeys at last....

• Advertisement

Roche lost 40secs to the main bunch !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

He's 11th on GC now (only 20 secs odd off 2nd!)

Edit - Martin that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Nico 51 seconds down at the finish 35th on stage

Really bad for Roche if he couldn't stay in the top 30. Didn't seem that hard a pace either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nico must have died a death in the last few km, he was looking good when Nibali was pushing at the front , which wasn't far from the flatter section at the end....slightly dissapointing, but he did state in the indo that he starts slow in the first mountain stage, ala last year...so we'll see.

Well done to Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

great ride from martin

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Does anyone know did Martin grow up in Ireland or is he Irish by parents / grandparents? I heard him speak and I thought he sounded English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Kannon wrote: »
    Does anyone know did Martin grow up in Ireland or is he Irish by parents / grandparents? I heard him speak and I thought he sounded English.

Born in Birmingham of an English father and an Irish mother, Stephen Roche's sister.

Kannon wrote: »

His mum is Irish (Stephen Roche's sister) and his Dad is English (also quite a talented cyclist I believe). They lived in Birmingham and that's where he grew up. Like most great Irish athletes he was rejected by the English at a young age and given to us as a present to make up for hundreds of years of oppression. They now regret their decision and probably want him back. (Think Cesc Fabergas moving to Arsenal for £200,000) And just like Barcelona, England will have to buy Dan Martin back off us for €34m, if that is in fact allowed in international cycling, which I'm pretty sure it is :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement