Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduated back in 2006, been out of the loop since. Do I need a refresher course ?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I graduated back in 2006, 2nd class honors BSC in I.T. I said id take a dead end job doing technical support until something "proper" came along, got a little too comfortable and Ive been there ever since :rolleyes:.

The Job has really been getting to me lately, Ive had enough, and if IT is one of the few areas I can still get a job Ill take it. Problem is I haven't done anything since I graduated that related to my degree specificly, no web design, no I.T security, nothing. I dont want to go to an interview, get asked "whats your experience with X" and think to myself "Jesus, I haven't done X in years".

Ive always been a complete geek so Im sure pick it all up again, just looking for advice. Im paying a mortgage at the moment so cant really leave my part of the country (at most I cant go too far), if I could do it all from home that would be a big help. I wasnt the number 1 student in my class, but I was probably in the top 5, just said Id post here to see if anyone else was in or knew somebody in a similar situation and had some advice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭locked_out

J0hnick wrote: »
    I graduated back in 2006, 2nd class honors BSC in I.T. I said id take a dead end job doing technical support until something "proper" came along, got a little too comfortable and Ive been there ever since :rolleyes:.

The Job has really been getting to me lately, Ive had enough, and if IT is one of the few areas I can still get a job Ill take it. Problem is I haven't done anything since I graduated that related to my degree specificly, no web design, no I.T security, nothing. I dont want to go to an interview, get asked "whats your experience with X" and think to myself "Jesus, I haven't done X in years".

Ive always been a complete geek so Im sure pick it all up again, just looking for advice. Im paying a mortgage at the moment so cant really leave my part of the country (at most I cant go too far), if I could do it all from home that would be a big help. I wasnt the number 1 student in my class, but I was probably in the top 5, just said Id post here to see if anyone else was in or knew somebody in a similar situation and had some advice :)

1: Learn some self discipline
    2: Pick an area that interests you. Expand that domain of knowledge. Contribute code if at all possible.
    3: Put these endevours on your CV

You are welcome.

Advertisement