Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Confusion

Options
  • 22-08-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I've just accepted arts in UCD and wasn't really expecting to end up there so now I have no idea how everything works. My understanding was that I picked two subjects but I can't understand this idea of 2 extra modules and a 3rd subject? Can anyone lay it down for me in layman's terms?

Also has anyone any experience of Greek & Roman Civilization, International Relations & Politics or Information Studies at UCD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

I believe you do a fair few for the craic and then continue with two in a serious manner...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Stasya_x wrote: »
    Also has anyone any experience of Greek & Roman Civilization, International Relations & Politics or Information Studies at UCD?

I did Greek&Roman Civ. last year and I'm continuing on with it this year, it's pretty interesting but you need a head for dates/periods/names etc. My semester one modules set me up nicely for sem. 2, we went back over a lot of sem.1 stuff and it was just easier to understand in general, a basic knowledge of Greco-Roman history will help you but it's not necessary:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Original Poster, I have a degree in Greek and Roman Civilisation from UCD. Graduated about 2 years ago. It's an excellent choice, one of the best subjects in the humanities IMO. If you're good at secondary school history, art history and English the transition should be seamless. Greek and Roman Civ encompasses ancient literature, history,art, architecture, archaeology, philosophy, linguistics, philology, sociology amongst others.

It encompasses the entire range of the humanities in one subject. Potential problems would be in first year the choice is limited and you may be stuck with subjects you're not comfortable with. In first year I had Greek Philosophy, and hated it (dont have a head for it). But I worked hard and passed. Then in second and third year I had a choice and picked subjects that were more suited to me and did quite well.

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I do information studies. It is quite a broad subject in first year ranging from the obvious (what is information) to the half interesting (how different mediums use information throughout history). A lot of people take it expecting it to be a doddle and they often regret it. It can send you to sleep if you have no interest in it and this kinda makes it stressful when it comes to exams and such like ;).

• Advertisement
Advertisement