Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Issue

Options
  • 22-08-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I am currently fixing up my fixer upper and while in the attic, the other half found a sizable mound of what turned out to be vermiculite on the floor near the chimney breast.

It's a semi detached house built in the late sixties. The neighbour on the other side of the wall mentioned that there had been a problem with smoke leaking into both their house and mine from their chimney and that they had 'a man' come and sort it out. She was more than a bit vague on the details.

What can I do to check the integrity of my own chimney? My engineer looked at it initially (pre purchase) and couldn't see a problem and there is certainly no smoke leaking from their fire now (which is burning day and night) but that heap of vermiculite on my side of the chimney breast is a bit worrying.

I haven't lit a fire yet as I'm installing a stove in a week or two.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Off topic, but I have to ask what you were really doing in the attic with your other half?! If my other half came up, I can guarantee you she'd have a foot through the ceiling before you could say 'don't forget, only step on those wooden yokes'! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Try using a smoke pellet that are available from plumbers merchants, they come in different colours. Put it in the fire place and light it and then go outsiide and see if its clearing the chimney But the most sensible approach would be to contact a chimney repair company.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

Actually Mr. Thrifty, I'm the mrs., he's the mr. and wouldn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other, he only came up to see the weird pile of vermiculite - and put his foot through the bedroom ceiling in the process! So there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

Actually Mr. Thrifty, I'm the mrs., he's the mr. and wouldn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other, he only came up to see the weird pile of vermiculite - and put his foot through the bedroom ceiling in the process! So there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

ha ha great repley ponder013:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement