Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nervous about college!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jordans n Timbs

i dont know if the original poster is male or female.....i hope shes a girl.......at least then the shyness is percieved as cute to most men such as myself.....if its a dude then i dunno what to say.......like what exactly is so scary about it......females like decisive males, and males who appear to be in control.......if u cant snap out of that shyness and nervousness then ehhhh....

what u need to be nervous about is what comes after college...the world is a cruel place bruh.......but college itself ?...its an experience paved in hand jobs compared to the real world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

i dont know if the original poster is male or female.....i hope shes a girl.......at least then the shyness is percieved as cute to most men such as myself.....if its a dude then i dunno what to say.......like what exactly is so scary about it......females like decisive males, and males who appear to be in control.......if u cant snap out of that shyness and nervousness then ehhhh....

what u need to be nervous about is what comes after college...the world is a cruel place bruh.......but college itself ?...its an experience paved in hand jobs compared to the real world

I think if I happened to meet you in real life, I would almost instantly dislike you.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

To me, guys who are shy are much more interesting than "in control" and "decisive" guys, there's a whole character there that isn't shown to many people, just underneath the shy outer layer, waiting to be revealed. A lot of confident fellas give the impression to be up their own arses, and are usually too busy showing off to focus and settle down to their education (the main point of college, no?).
    Also, guys do not always like shyness. Everybody is different, one of my friends is a very outgoing, sociable type, and she is going out with one of the quietest people I have ever met. He is so witty, and fun to be around, yet I never would have realised when I first met him.
    Everybody is different, everybody's experience have been/are/will be different. Going to college is a brand new experience after all, and if you care about it, you WILL be nervous.
    Ok? :rolleyes:

whatever, im not even talking about showing off though.......i dont show off, but i sure as sh*t dont spend my life bein nervous and scared and waiting on impending doom.......im startin in dublin as a mature student in sept and i cant wait...been to the open night....seen who was there and its like wtf do u have to be nervous about....they bend over backwards to help u adjust in these institutions......

and if he thinks its like secondary school where all the ''BAD pEopLe'' ppl pick on u, then he needs to keep thinkin.....its a different culture and breed of person in college, youre there at the end of the day to get your degree, its an almost ''professional'' type of atmosphere......and i mean wtf does he give a sh*t what others think of him, are they gonna be paying his light bills and his rent ?....no....so just get on with it.....

that might sound harsh but it is what it is......enjoy it, i know i will. because i know after college comes all the responsibilities, THAT u can nervous about.

njd2010 wrote: »
    I think if I happened to meet you in real life, I would almost instantly dislike you.

nah you'd love me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Glad I'm not the only one that feels like this..I thought that if I got a decent Leaving Cert and my college course that'd be it, I'd have nothing left to worry about but I'm terrified. Making friends is far from my strong point, and everyone is telling me I have to be confident and all the rest of it..this is nearly more stressful than doing the exams :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Oh I am sh*ting bricks too. At least I can find DIT (Aungier St). Was really worried about that.

So many other thinngs I'm worrying about, finding lecture halls, making friends, ect.

Im hoping it will just all work out. Some how... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

To be honest the only thing I'm worried about is finding a part time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

To be honest the only thing I'm worried about is finding a part time job.

Best of luck with that :P
    I have had one for the past three years, but now the expense of travelling down to work at the weekends, is going to cost over half my wages, so it's kinda putting me off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Hey! This post is addressed to the unconfident among us which I would assume to be quite common on the internet! It's something that often comes hand in hand with anonymity.

First off I'd like to confront something major thats sweeping the internet! No, I'm not saying it's COMPLETELY not credible but the whole proposition of "Extrovert/Introvert" is mostly balls. Up until a while ago I would have considered myself introvert, but hey, I emerged from being a teenager and stopped giving a ****, and with this 'confidence' (Not caring more than anything) I ended up going out more - and more importantly, I found it much easier to talk to people.

I feel that this seperation of the Earth's population into two black and white categories is ridiculous. It's as if someone came along one day and just said, "I am who I am," and of course, this is true! However, the problem with the extroversion/Introversion approach is that it basically states, "You are who you are, forever." It insinuates you were born this way and you will die this way. Nonsense. Everyone has the power to change, but it WILL be harder for some than for others.
    I feel that confronting this (awful) grouping is essential as it breaks the idea of "No need to go beyond your comfort zone, it's dangerous out there" and instead exposes the reality that putting yourself in uncomfortable situations STRETCHES your comfort zone, and helps you develop as a person.
    And more directly on topic: No matter what you consider your social disposition to be, don't be afraid (Or do! But do it anyway) to say Hi and introduce yourself to as many people as possible. The college experience is one that is mutual and shared with almost all of your fellow first years.
    Infact here's a nice link from an Irish guys website. He has some good articles up despite his 'teleshopping'-esque name :D
    http://www.fluentin3months.com/life-lessons/

Disclaimer: Obviously there are people with mental illnesses who are exceptions to this. Also, going outside your comfort zone doesn't mean going shark diving or something you are physically uncomfortable with (But it could... Within reason of course.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Hey! This post is addressed to the unconfident among us which I would assume to be quite common on the internet! It's something that often comes hand in hand with anonymity.

First off I'd like to confront something major thats sweeping the internet! No, I'm not saying it's COMPLETELY not credible but the whole proposition of "Extrovert/Introvert" is mostly balls. Up until a while ago I would have considered myself introvert, but hey, I emerged from being a teenager and stopped giving a ****, and with this 'confidence' (Not caring more than anything) I ended up going out more - and more importantly, I found it much easier to talk to people.

I feel that this seperation of the Earth's population into two black and white categories is ridiculous. It's as if someone came along one day and just said, "I am who I am," and of course, this is true! However, the problem with the extroversion/Introversion approach is that it basically states, "You are who you are, forever." It insinuates you were born this way and you will die this way. Nonsense. Everyone has the power to change, but it WILL be harder for some than for others.
    I feel that confronting this (awful) grouping is essential as it breaks the idea of "No need to go beyond your comfort zone, it's dangerous out there" and instead exposes the reality that putting yourself in uncomfortable situations STRETCHES your comfort zone, and helps you develop as a person.
    And more directly on topic: No matter what you consider your social disposition to be, don't be afraid (Or do! But do it anyway) to say Hi and introduce yourself to as many people as possible. The college experience is one that is mutual and shared with almost all of your fellow first years.
    Infact here's a nice link from an Irish guys website. He has some good articles up despite his 'teleshopping'-esque name :D
    http://www.fluentin3months.com/life-lessons/

Disclaimer: Obviously there are people with mental illnesses who are exceptions to this. Also, going outside your comfort zone doesn't mean going shark diving or something you are physically uncomfortable with (But it could... Within reason of course.)

Um, what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Digits wrote: »
    Um, what? :confused:

If you haven't heard of the introversion/extroversion thing this probably isn't aimed at you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

Is no one else nervous about college?! Im heading to DIT from westmeath on my own and Im sh*tting bricks! Im so afraid of not making friends or getting lost in dublin, yet all I see is people being excited about college? And for stuff like freshers week, who do you go out with if you have no friends in the college with you? Im stressing so much, please tell me im not the only one!

Listen, I know it's easier said than done, but honestly try and relax!
    I am in DIT myself, and had the EXACT same concerns starting! It may take a little time to get used to busy Dublin, but it will be fine!

Generally speaking, people from your course all mutually decide to try and meet up on a night out during freshers week, that way you get to know people!

I know it sounds cliche, but things kinda work for themselves out when you start! Best of luck though

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

njd2010 wrote: »

Gotta agree with you here....men like that make me angry!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Whoever said 'schooldays are the best days of your life' clearly never went to college....

YOU'LL LOVE IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested to see how the rest of ye been getting on these past 2 months? Has college been better/worse than you anticipated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I'm really very very nervous, even about choosing what college to go to. Im also scared of being on my own on the first day! Its junior infants all over again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Best 2 months of my life. Ye'll love it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Where are you in College Brian?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Maynooth.... fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Loving my first two months in UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'm extremely worried about college, it'll be the first time I'll be living without my parents for more than a weekend! :o I just hope that there's loads of people in the same position as me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Loving college atm

Any questions about ucd/commerce just PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'd disagree on Maynooth! It's grand like, but doesn't have a real college feeling as it's fairly small, with not much in the town!

I was there, dropped out though and will go somewhere else (UL maybe!) next year! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

M&S* wrote: »
    I'm extremely worried about college, it'll be the first time I'll be living without my parents for more than a weekend! :o I just hope that there's loads of people in the same position as me :P

The majority of people will definitely be the same! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Anyone else here going to be doing computer science in trinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Im absolutely lovin it, nothin but fun.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Lads was in the same boat as ye last year. I was at a school I adored and was really sad that it was all going to end. My school literally felt like home to me and everyone in it my family. But by the time I got to the end of the year I was ready to leave, I felt like I had gotten all I could out of the experience and so it was time to move on.

I love college, I love my classmates and most of my classes. Do I love it as much as my old school, the truth is no. No but it's the actual experience I'm loving as opposed to just the people there. However they are pretty great too. It's the fact that the classes are actually geared towards what you are interested in so the day flies, boredom is rare and after spending all those years doing stuff I didn't really want to do it's kind of amazing really.

Just relax and enjoy the experience, nearly everybody will be in the same boat as you, little or no friends, it will happen naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

College is actually brilliant, dudes! Best two months of my life ever. Talk to everyone you can when you go to open days or your orientation day next year because those people you talk to will be the ones that will stick by you no matter what. That's what I found! :D

I haven't left the people I met on my first day for the past two onths and they are amazing!

P.s. Pick UL, it's amazing :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement