Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing course

• 23-08-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hows it going,
    the CAO offers came out today and after 3 years in a row there is still no luck, I wanted to do graphic design as my first option but just missed it, so my other offer was for multimedia. But i was wondering if i bear out doing a year of this course can i change then to my first choice or is there anyway around this? trying to get into this course 3 years in a row now and its just wearing me out, it seems to be the only course I have genuine interest in, :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok, exact same thing happened to me.

I wanted WD161 computer forensics. applied the first time through CAO. no hope.
    second time i applied I applied as a mature student. they said my math was not good enough....
    third time i applied i went back to the CAO, didnt get the course... but this time i had put computer security and digital forensics in letterkenny as my second choice.

I accpeted this offer, started the course, completed first year of a 3 year level 7, and during the summer i applied for a transfer to WIT.
    I was accepted! im now going into my final year of a 3 year level 8.

Its worth looking into something similiar. find a graphic design course in another college, get into that, and transfer in at second year. (you gotta have good grades to get the transfer)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Speak with the course leader, if your close to the mark they might be able to help or give pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dobba

Hows it going,
    the CAO offers came out today and after 3 years in a row there is still no luck, I wanted to do graphic design as my first option but just missed it, so my other offer was for multimedia. But i was wondering if i bear out doing a year of this course can i change then to my first choice or is there anyway around this? trying to get into this course 3 years in a row now and its just wearing me out, it seems to be the only course I have genuine interest in, :(
    I got accepted to comp forensics.
    If your leaving isnt that great you can always do a plc course.Keep yer head down and youl get points .

ok, exact same thing happened to me.

I wanted WD161 computer forensics. applied the first time through CAO. no hope.
    second time i applied I applied as a mature student. they said my math was not good enough....

Are they basing that around your leaving points? , because there is a way around that . Applying after a fetac course you can get around the basic maths , english needed, as long as you just get points

yeah they based it on my leaving cert math. Since i was a mature student, and finished my LC years and years ago, i really had no drive to do a fetac course as 1: i was working, and 2: math is not my strong subject :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tough maths in the course though.

• Advertisement

funny enough i find the math in the com forensics course easier to handle than the LC math. maybe its because im getting old and less distractions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭TheFishingKid

Yeh was thinking the same Royal Marine... but that means ill have to wait another year and change the CAO, Sully yeh Ill have to do something about it. I did my leaving cert in 09 and 10 and the did a further education course, this all to try get into the same course if anything they should leave me in for commitment at this point...

from the course i was doing i was told i needed 3 distinctions for graphic design and I only got 2 distinctions 5 merits and a pass... and got a total of 295 points and the course is 300

So my next plan of action i think will be to get 2 or 3 modules rechecked(if its not to late at this stage) to see can i get up a grade to distinction level

Appreciate the input tho guys ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dobba

I was same with maths didnt even go into the exam lol.
    Fetac is only way around most restrictions

Advertisement