Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting on the Log Book..

Options
  • 23-08-2011 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I recently bought a car Tuesday 2 weeks ago in a private sale. The seller sent the log book off two days after. I haven't driven the car at all since I bought it but have a receipt as proof of sale with both our signatures and the date of sale etc.
    If I was stopped by a guard, would I be given a summons (no questions asked) for not having tax or what? I'm so confused, can somebody help me please? :( I need the car soon to get to college. I also have nct and insurance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

xTLCx wrote: »
    I recently bought a car Tuesday 2 weeks ago in a private sale. The seller sent the log book off two days after. I haven't driven the car at all since I bought it but have a receipt as proof of sale with both our signatures and the date of sale etc.
    If I was stopped by a guard, would I be given a summons (no questions asked) for not having tax or what? I'm so confused, can somebody help me please? :( I need the car soon to get to college. I also have nct and insurance.

Check your reg here to see if it's been transferred into your name,you can tax it once it's been transferred into your name.

I wouldn't be too worried about driving it without tax for the moment,usually there's some leeway after buying a car to get the tax up to date.Just carry the receipt with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

It can take a month or more even depending on how inefficient the system is feeling, but if there is nct and insurance, you will either get a telling off or at worst a fine which is about €60.

I should also add that if the car's in your name already but the book isnt out to you, you may still be able to tax it once you know the chassis number and reg and have ID with you, maybe bring that "receipt" thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xTLCx

Check your reg here to see if it's been transferred into your name,you can tax it once it's been transferred into your name.

I wouldn't be too worried about driving it without tax for the moment,usually there's some leeway after buying a car to get the tax up to date.Just carry the receipt with you.

Thanks for your help. I've already checked the registration on motortax.ie and there have been no changes to the information of the car in the last 3 months. I also entered in my address along with the reg but it won't accept it so I'm guessing they still haven't processed my details! I've just heard stories of people being prosecuted for having no tax and a guard told me that if traffic corps stop me they won't take any excuses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xTLCx

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    It can take a month or more even depending on how inefficient the system is feeling, but if there is nct and insurance, you will either get a telling off or at worst a fine which is about €60.

I should also add that if the car's in your name already but the book isnt out to you, you may still be able to tax it once you know the chassis number and reg and have ID with you, maybe bring that "receipt" thing too.

I could withstand a telling off but it's vital that I get around. And I'm working so I wouldn't really mind the fine as long as it wouldn't be in the hundreds.. the car isn't in my name yet but I have I.D., receipt, reg and chassis number..

a guard told me that if traffic corps stop me they won't take any excuses :(

Of course he'd tell you that it's his job to do that, but in reality if you have NCT and insurance and have evidence of recently buying the car you will end up with a fine at worst. Now you technically shoudnt ever drive without tax if you want to be all above board but this is the real world so sometimes it happens

• Advertisement

I could withstand a telling off but it's vital that I get around. And I'm working so I wouldn't really mind the fine as long as it wouldn't be in the hundreds.. the car isn't in my name yet but I have I.D., receipt, reg and chassis number..

If it's not in your name they won't let you tax it. going to pm you though

Advertisement