Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Innocent Smoothies - That Shrinking Feeling

Options
  • 23-08-2011 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all
    Difficult to know where to put this thread, to be honest. Noticed a 2 for 5.50 deal on the big Innocent Smoothies in Tesco (it's 3 euro a pop in Dunnes at the mo) and decided to pick up 2. When I got home, I realised that, although the carton looked the same, they have actually reduced the quantity from 1l to 750 ml, while rather cleverly making the carton look as much like a 1l carton as possible. I now understand why the large sizes of these completely disappeared from shelves for a few weeks (clearing all previous 1l stock, I'd imagine).
    Ok, it's my own fault, I accept that, and I could just as easily make one at home. I'm just posting it for other Boardsies to be vigilant. There's plenty of irate comments on it on the Innocent blog (won't post a link in case it's against the rules!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I always found a litre of smoothie was a little too much, so a 750ml size is good - but preferably with a lower price.

Copella did the same, but also introduced a 1.25l size - possibly innocent are doing this?

btw, they are now owned by that small little mineral company - coca cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I noticed this the other day too, WTF!
    Now I haven't done the research but I wonder has the price dropped in comparison to when they sold them as 1L cartons?
    Cheeky out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They were always ridiculously overpriced anyway.

They were always ridiculously overpriced anyway.

well yes, they were but I was willing to pay the price as I like them and so do the kids. Their smoothies are nice in fairness BUT I will no longer be buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

gave up buying them ages ago, had to laugh at the way they painted their cleaner than clean imagine then sell out to Coca Cola, now they shrink their cartons :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I just noticed them in Tesco: 3.69 for a 750ml carton! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

Blender+fruit+fruit juice+yogurt(optional) Cheaper and better.
    I never looked back after i got a blender.

All packaged smoothies always taste a bit gone off no matter what brand you get.
    2-3 euro worth of ingredients make a lot of smoothie and its made in seconds.

sher55 wrote: »
    Blender+fruit+fruit juice+yogurt(optional) Cheaper and better.
    I never looked back after i got a blender.

All packaged smoothies always taste a bit gone off no matter what brand you get.
    2-3 euro worth of ingredients make a lot of smoothie and its made in seconds.

true. What sort of blender do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

By FARRRRR the handiest blender out there isssssss "The Magic Bullet".

Don't look at any others, if you want one, get this one.

Amazon page, I have mine 3ish years, use it twice a week.

You put the fruit in the container glass, screw on the blade, whizz it and can then drink straight outta container or whatever, splash the blades under the tap and your done.

There's no looking at instructions to see how it comes apart to clean when you use it.

Super little blender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

3.80 at t2 in the airport for a small bottle....a complete rip off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

true. What sort of blender do you have?

just a cheap LidL one:)

I have seen fancier ones but ill wait and see how long the LidL one lasts for.
    3 years going so far almost daily.:D

I make a smoothie for every work day saves me a fortune considering the cost of supermarket smoothie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Amazon page, I have mine 3ish years, use it twice a week.
    I have one of them, the hinari one is sold by amazon and voer £25 so free postage to here. They are nice and neat, no wastage of stuff clinging to the inside of a big food processor or dedicated smoothie maker. Very easy to clean.

Only suited to lightweight blending though. I even use it for cold water, stick a few icecubes in with water and whizz up and you have an instant pint of freezing water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

They've been defending this on facebook saying the cost is the same. In my Tesco the 1.25l is now gone from the shelves and only the 750ml remains priced at €3.69 (offers over for now). The 1l used to be €3.99 so that is a decent price increase.

If they want to increase prices then just do it but don't be so underhanded about it. The first I knew about the 750ml cartons was when I was half way through one and wondered why it was going so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Belmono wrote: »
    reduced the quantity from 1l to 750 ml, while rather cleverly making the carton look as much like a 1l carton as possible.
    How did they do this exactly? is there loads of head space in the carton or what?
    They've been defending this on facebook saying the cost is the same.
    On the blog they say it has gone up per ml for 750ml, which I would expect.

http://innocentdrinks.typepad.com/innocent_drinks/2011/06/big-and-slightly-smaller-change-is-afoot.html
    In terms of pricing for our new cartons, we want to be absolutely transparent.
    Ultimately, it’s up to individual stores what they choose to charge for our drinks, but the RRP* for our new 750ml carton is £2.79, and for our 1.25L carton it is £3.69. This means our 750ml cartons are cheaper per pack, but cost a bit more per ml than our old 1L cartons. Our 1.25L cartons are a higher price per pack, but are the same price per ml as our 1L cartons.
    Since we launched our 1L carton in 2004 we have not increased our prices. In that time lots of things have happened** which mean it now costs more to make our drinks than it used to (namely, fruit prices have gone up, and we use quite a bit of fruit).
    We know that some people will be disappointed by this change, but we felt that introducing two new carton sizes at two different prices was the best way to react to the fact that, put simply, fruit is more expensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

1L - €3.99 | price per ml: 39c per 100ml

750 - €3.69 | price per ml: 49c per 100ml

(Prices based on my local Superquinn)

Conclusion: **** you Coca-Cola, **** you innocent smoothie

Bought my last ever carton today :mad:

I'm taking a leaf from others here and starting to do my own smoothies, can't believe how lazy I was up to now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Only place I ever bought these was up NI when they were on offer. Could never get over what they'd ask for them in the south.
    Got them at what I thought was a good price few weeks back £1.39 each...didn't notice the new pack size till I was opening one at home.
    It's clever what they did with the tetrapak...slightly smaller width/depthwise and a bit less tall, but not so you'd notice.
    From memory when on offer you'd get 2X1lt for £2.99 in siansburys or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Now Pampers are at it. the Mega packs now have 10 / 15 less nappies in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Now Pampers are at it. the Mega packs now have 10 / 15 less nappies in them.

Cloth nappies the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

3.97 for 750ml at Tesco.
    4.99 for 1.25l
    On special at 1.90 for now, but normal price 3.97 for a pack of 5 x 200ml of fruit juice.

Rip off springs to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cloth nappies the way to go.

As long as you are not the one who has to wash them after :D

Advertisement