Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Video Card...

Options
  • 23-08-2011 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

So, I haven't been gaming on my PC in quite a long time, so I've really fallen out of the loop at the moment. I have an old GTS250 I'm using at the moment, which is really fine for what I'm playing, but I'd rather something that'll keep up at 1920x1200 on slightly older titles at consistently solid framerates. Needs to be Nvidia, because I'm playing through some titles in 3D, and really my only criteria is 30%+ performance on the GTS250....with a budget of about 120. I can spend more, but I can't really justify it because it'll mostly be older titles...Resi 5, Fallout 3, Bioshock 2, etc. My PSU is a 500w modxstream. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You're kinda screwed. A GTS550 will just squeeze into your budget and give ~10% more performance; like going from a HD4850 to a HD4870. You might be able to find some old GTX460s going cheap somewhere if you're lucky; the GTX460SE will give a ~20% boost, the GTX460 768MB a little more, the full version probably 30-40% but it might be out of your price range. They'll also put a fair bit more strain on the PSU than the GTS250 IIRC :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/msi-ngtx460-cyclone-768mb-pci-e/787865

There's a 1GB version on offer for €180, if you can sell the GTS 250.

Edit: Alternatively, you could buy a 768 version new:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/gainward-geforce-gtx-460-648mhz-768mb-pci-express-hdmi--green--7F66.html?refs=42740000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just don't get the new generations of video cards at all. Instead of the budget and mid range cards making leaps and bounds like they used to, they're (nvidia) constantly reiterating the same old cards with new names and a few sparse feature sets, but core performance is still shoddy and you only see improvements by moving far up the chain into the true performance cards. Ati are in a much better state I see, some fantastic cards for the 100 euro mark, but Nvidia have nothing at all to match really. It's all GT440s, 450s and the odd 550ti for the 120 mark, but it's disappointing. Was looking at the GTX460 alright but it's shocking that this far into the future I still have to shell out that much money for an Nvidia card that can be considered any sort of a worthwhile upgrade to the GTS250. I've bought cards about 2 years ago for that price that are still about as fast as those cards.

Ugh. Very angry at the moment with Nvidia....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've found a 550Ti OC for 110-ish on two different sites, might just go for that. I can live with that, really....and it's definitely a considerable boost over my ancient GTS250...

Advertisement