Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer USB Problem

Options
  • 23-08-2011 3:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

For the last few months I've gotten a Canon PIXMA MX350 printer for my Windows XP desktop and everything has been going well up until last week when somebody else in my house unplugged the printer to attach to their computer. When it's plugged back into mine, there logically shouldn't be any problem, but the computer wouldn't recognise the printer even though it was on and its USB cord was plugged in. Eventually the person who unplugged it managed to "fix" the problem by reinstalling the printer on the computer all over again. Today I turned the computer and the printer on, assuming everything was okay, but as soon as I plugged in my thumbdrive that had the document I wanted to print off, I get the "unknown device detected" message on the monitor again, and when I tried to print off the document, the computer again claimed that the printer was "offline". I tried the "Diagnose & Repair" option and still no luck. I rebooted and replugged the printer, and still no luck.

Is there something wrong with my desktop's USB ports, or is it a printer issue? Before this happened, I was able to plug in my thumbdrive with the printer no problem, so this doesn't make any sense. Should I really have to reinstall the printer whenever something like this happens in order for it to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

You sure they didnt damaged the printer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LilbunUWiz

That's originally why I had THEM go and "fix" it, which resulted in the reinstallation. I'd like to THINK nothing got corrupted; from what I know, they just installed it onto their computer so they could use it (though why they did that is a completely different story).

Advertisement